PDA

View Full Version : Wabbit stew

DRF
10-10-2010, 08:26 PM
http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz325/ChevyTruck_916/dove/phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpg.jpg

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz325/ChevyTruck_916/dove/download.jpg

We took ten this day. Thanks to some really nice property owners we had a ball. We started off at the Nelson slough WLA. Ended up with three from there, to many goats on the Nelson Slough WLA 1500 to be exact and about four big dogs making sure nothing happens to those goats. I was told the goats are there to clear the brush for the upcoming winter "Flood Control" It made for some difficult hunting. We cleaned and packed the rabbits on ice and started to pound the pavement. We Stopped by a ranch and asked if we could shoot some rabbits and to our surprise the owner said just as long as you shoot me a couple you can hunt. I thought how cool is this, that kinda stuff never happens anymore right. So out of the seven we harvested on his land we gave the owner four cleaned rabbits and took three with us. Which is just enough for some really good Stew... :chowtime:

Salt,pepper and flour the rabbit. Next you want to brown it in a cast iron pan with vegetable oil, once browned remove it and put it in the crock pot. Cook with one can of chicken broth and a Bay leaf on low overnight. You can add celery, onion and garlic (salt & pepper to taste). Next day remove bones from meat add carrots, potatoes or whatever your choice of stew fixings may be. :ende5si:

JrF

Stew1
10-12-2010, 04:11 PM
nice, is there much difference between jack and cotton tail as far as taste? Been cottontail hunting twice and and only seen four and took just one

1969glasspar
10-13-2010, 03:44 AM
Well done sir, if I had land I'd say the same thing as the guy who let you hunt his property cause I can't find the time to go after them anymore. That's some good eating. Glad someones keeping the small game hunting sport alive. Bill

DRF
10-13-2010, 09:50 AM
nice, is there much difference between jack and cotton tail as far as taste? Been cottontail hunting twice and and only seen four and took just one

Sorry stew1 I have never tried Jack rabbit.

@1969glasspar
I used to live in Susanville when I was 8-9 years old my dad and his buddy took my brother and I out shooting all the time. We would always come back with cottontail. I'll never forget how much fun it was to hunt cottontail with a Ruger 10-22 Come to think about it that was my first hunting trip. Somewhere between Susanville and Nevada.. One of my favorite hunting memories.

JrF :thumbsup: