PDA

View Full Version : duck season 2010

GetEm925
10-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Have any of you guys been out yet? if so how are you doin? going out to grizzly this weekend hopefully we can get in and get a few birds

MontanaN8V
10-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Went out Sat, and Sun. Sat got a couple ducks and a speck pass shooting. Sunday, I bought some Hyper-steel loads from Remington. 1700 fps! BUT, that added speed comes with a major increase in recoil! Four rounds, and my middle finger was dislocated! I thought it was broken, but x-ray showed a clean dislocation from the first knuckle. I was shooting a pump, and the trigger guard hit the middle finger. I should also add, the recoil was so great, it would cycle the pump and chamber another round. In my opinion, the benefit of 300-400 fps is not worth it for a pump gun shooter.

GetEm925
10-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Wow i didn't know the fps affected recoil. I shoot 2 3/4 because my gun cant handle any bigger which sucks and do not have the funds to buy a new shotgun right now.

outdoordude
10-27-2010, 07:36 AM
I didn't go back to check the numbers but I drove through howard slough on sat pm and the guys I saw had piles of birds. I was the looser, didn't think I'd be in chico this long left all duck and deer gear at home. had to sit and watch it rain all w e.

delta916
10-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Wow i didn't know the fps affected recoil. I shoot 2 3/4 because my gun cant handle any bigger which sucks and do not have the funds to buy a new shotgun right now.

Keep shooting that 2 3/4 gun. If you're doing things right you don't need anything bigger. In the long run it will make you a better shot and more aware of what distance is appropriate to shoot.

fishingfreak
10-27-2010, 04:06 PM
went out sun the 24th to yolo with a number 4 reservation with the wind from the south blowing 20 to 30 it was some great hunting no joke we probally saw at least 500 ducks me and freind left with 6 ducks and i would of had a limit if we had more shells i also have a reservation on the 31st with a num 4 reservation and on the 7th i have number 15 reservation to yolo and you know what sucks about it is i cant go because the guy go with is busy lots of ducks in the valley and with this storm comming it should be good if we get some wind with it. and you really dont need anything bigger than 2 3/4 load one of my freind shoots a 20 gauge and kills ducks just fine i shoot the kent in 3 inch with 1 1/4 ounce load of 3s and i think its to much recoil i know black cloud makes 2 3/4 load with one ounce of number 3s and my freind shoots that and also kills ducks just fine its not how much fire power you have its how you use it good luck at grizzly island :krzyhunter4ez::krzyhunter4ez:

duckfisher
10-28-2010, 05:09 AM
I went yesterday and got four birds, two sprig and one mallard and one spoony. i was pleased being this early in the year.:thumbup:

GetEm925
10-28-2010, 01:57 PM
yeah i shoot kent or winchester expert 2 3/4. 4 shot i found a place that sold 2 shot and 1 shot but i cant seem to find them any where.

fishingfreak
10-28-2010, 02:27 PM
try cabelas.com they have a big selection of shells and you really dont need anything bigger than 3s for ducks ive killed many geese with number 3s

fishingfreak
10-28-2010, 02:30 PM
I went yesterday and got four birds, two sprig and one mallard and one spoony. i was pleased being this early in the year.:thumbup:
was there many birds ? opener weekend we saw at least 500 ducks

Hof
10-28-2010, 08:01 PM
I went to a friends pond last Sunday for easy limits. Some mallards and a lot of wood ducks. It's the type of place you can only shoot a couple times a year to keep the birds around. I'll go back toward the end of the season. For me it is now back to reality and the refuge. I'll probably be at Gray lodge this Sunday. Good luck everyone.

Hof

fishenmitch
10-31-2010, 05:09 AM
I am going to Sac on Wed, got a reservation, #38. This will be the first time out in 25 years to see the marsh and hear the birds flying overhead at day break. I am really excited about going.

FishFindr
12-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Went out Sat, and Sun. Sat got a couple ducks and a speck pass shooting. Sunday, I bought some Hyper-steel loads from Remington. 1700 fps! BUT, that added speed comes with a major increase in recoil! Four rounds, and my middle finger was dislocated! I thought it was broken, but x-ray showed a clean dislocation from the first knuckle. I was shooting a pump, and the trigger guard hit the middle finger. I should also add, the recoil was so great, it would cycle the pump and chamber another round. In my opinion, the benefit of 300-400 fps is not worth it for a pump gun shooter.

Really??? I have shot a box of this stuff and I didn't think the recoil was that bad.

outdoordude
12-19-2010, 11:27 AM
I have to agree with fishingfreak I only shoot a 20 ga. #4 heavi-shot 3in for geese and 3 in #4 steel for ducks, kent fasteel 1550 fps. I used to use 2 3/4 1 s' and 2 s' in my 12 ga never had much luck, not as many bbs' in a load.