PDA

View Full Version : Nov 1-3 Chasing sturgeon near Decker and two days on Suisun Bay.

FishWisher
11-05-2010, 06:12 AM
The weather couldn't have been more perfect; it was flat calm most of the time and the sun was downright hot. I don't remember better Autumn weather. And the tides were moving pretty well, too.

But the fishing left a lot to be desired...

I fished near Decker on Monday, using only eel as usual. Not a bump.

I fished my honey hole on Suisun Tuesday and Wednesday, using only eel again. Not a bump. Well, stripers nipped often, but I wasn't after stripers.

But the cheap beer was cold and Merle and Dolly and Hank sang to me all day. It sure beats working on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc.... :thumbsup:

On Tuesday evening I towed in a couple of fellas whose boat wouldn't start. It was a long, slow tow upriver against the current for several miles - in the dark. I've sworn off towing broken down boaters, but what's a fella to do when it's getting dark....?

I'll be heading out again for a few days when the tides and winds are right!

All I have to show are some delta photos I took, they're on my homepage: http://fishwisher.wordpress.com/2010/11/05/three-glorious-delta-days-november-1-3-2010/

Seon
11-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Thanks for your report Dale.

Hopefully I too will be able to get out next week but will be dragging lures with a worm trailer

Hope to see you out there.

Jeeps805
11-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Fisherwisher .... seems like u have alot of sturgeon experience. if u may, can u lend a rookie some advice for sturgeon fishing? my cousins are comin to town so a few of us are goin out to rio vista for some dino fishing off the banks. we will be using ghost shrimp, hopefully some grass shrimp and sardines also. oh and we will be night fishing into the morning also...how are the sturgeons feeding activity during the late night ? thinking about hitting somewhere sherman island where the dead fairy boat is at or in isleton . thanks for ure words of wisdom fellow sniffer....goodluck out there....

Yosemite Sam
11-05-2010, 09:36 AM
What a great report!! I checked out your home page and photos and really enjoyed them. Three days of great weather without wind how lucky can you get? (well mabe a big sturgeon would have made it luckier)

One of these days I'm going to get enough courage to venture up to that area. All my sturgeon fishing has been in the So. SF bay area near the Dumbarton Bridge.

Thanks for your fine report and I look forward to reading more about your future adventures.

Yosemite Sam

doneli
11-05-2010, 08:05 PM
hey Dale I saw you on Wednesday as you were going by the sandy beach ramp..I waited for you to pass so I could get to the ramp...I saw you and waived hi, but it was already dark and you didn't see me....i was fishing by sherman..sturgeon jumping all over but no takers....good luck on your next trip..

-doneli-

FishWisher
11-07-2010, 07:01 AM
Thanks for all the kind words, fellas. It's good to have some positive response even though the fishing was pretty much a skunk.

Jeeps, fishing with eel is a lot less work because those incessant striper nips can't remove it. And so it's also a lot cheaper. Stripers generally leave eel alone while sturgeon seem to like it a lot. And I think night fishing is best - I think sturgeon like a nice, quiet river. I can't give you any advice about bank fishing for sturgeon as I've never done that. Good luck to you.

Sam, thanks for the nice compliment about my site - I really enjoy getting feedback about it. I spend more hours on my site lately than I do fishing because I had to move it to a new host and am having to do a lot of editing on all my old stories and photos.

Doneli, I remember that moment, but I didn't notice you at the helm. Thanks for the heads up. I hope we both do better soon! :thumbsup:

jeepee
11-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Fishwisher....thanks for da words of wisdom...i will try using eel next time...
so we did go fishing friday night from 130am-12pm in isleton....no sturgeon bites but my buddies caught a fat 26'' and 22'' stripers on ghost shrimps...that was all da action we had...i got skunked = (