PDA

View Full Version : Apprentice Pheasant Hunt

Big Game
11-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Howdy. Has Anyone done an Apprentice Ringneck Hunt with their Kid at Sherman Island? Just looking for some do's / dont's if you can spare a minute. Also, do they supply dogs?My oldest son drew a card for Sunday 11/14 and I like knowing what to expect in advance. Remember, Success is Good Planning Well Executed. Thanks, Big Game

outdoordude
11-08-2010, 07:42 AM
hey big game, not sure about that hunt but alot of the aprentice hunts do have volenteers with dogs to help. there should be a phone # for contact info, good luck and post up your results.

Big Game
11-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks OD,
Yeah, like anything else that is our government, they try to make a simple sentence as
F#$%^&*g confusing as possible. Then they give you a number where you get an answering machine and you might get a call back in 2 or 3 days. I will hold on to see it I can get some clarification on this. If not, the ALPHA MALE "Ranger" is going to come out of retirement and kick some ass. (In case of Pheasant, Break Glass)
Thanks for your help. Big Game

Big Game
11-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Cal,

Thanks for the tips. You are right on the money. Unfortunately, with a very busy 52nd
Birthday weekend I didn't get your post until after our hunt. You were right, Curtis and his associates were great and very helpful to all of the young hunters there. I was very surprised that some of the fields were bare and some of them you could hunt with a half dozen or so dogs and still not cover everything. We had a great time and my son learned a lot. We had (2) Rooster flushes but both of them were very smart birds that gave us little chance of a shot. I was proud of my son not shooting as I preach safety over everyting else. Neither bird rose over 10 feet above the ground and would have been a very dangerous shot with limited field of fire above the hedgerows. Also, Great call on Fosters Bighorn. I have been there many times on the way home from Birds Landing. The Giraffe Bust is one of only 12 in the world and the experience of seeing all of those trophies is something that every sportsman should see. If I ever see you there, the drinks are on me.
Thank You for your help. Big Game.

Hof
11-15-2010, 09:23 PM
I was proud of my son not shooting as I preach safety over everyting else. Neither bird rose over 10 feet above the ground and would have been a very dangerous shot with limited field of fire above the hedgerows.

Nice Job BigGame....What you wrote above is great to hear. Nice to see you have taught them well. I have one close friend that asks me to go hunting all of the time but I never go with him because the one time I did I didn't feel safe. It can be kind of awkward at times, but I won't risk him shooting me or my dog. Some people just get too excited or careless and don't think. No bird or big game is worth that.

Hof

Big Game
11-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Hof,

You can hunt with me ANYTIME. Safety should always be the over-riding factor when using firearms - no matter what the quarry. I am very saddened to hear of the hunter that was killed 11/14 - in Napa, THE SAME DAY I took my 14 year old son into the field for his first Pheasant hunt (as a shooter). I don't have any details on what happened, so I am not going to get on my soap box. My sincere condolences to the family and our thoughts and prayers are with them. For me, that hits very close to Home.

Big Game