PDA

View Full Version : Where do we go for beginner trout fishing?

maddiesdadie
11-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Hello all, my daughter and I live in Monterey and just picked up our first trout rod and reel. We are looking for advice as to how to techniques, bait & rigs, and where would be a good place to go fish for trout. Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you in advance.

budhunter
11-08-2010, 05:56 AM
I am not familiar with your area in monterey but I can help you with your other question. For your rig I would use 4# test line flourocarbon is what I use as a beginner you should start with 4# and as you get more experience you can switch to 2# test. use a slider sinker and a #16-#18 treble hook with 18 inch leader. for bait as a beginer I would recommend powerbait white seems to work good up here but salmon peach works pretty good also. Dont forget to use a trout scent berkley trout scent works real good you can also use nightcrawlers and salmon eggs or power worms.Dont be afraid to experiment and mix and match the baits up. Hope this helps good luck and tight lines

gbslade
11-08-2010, 07:20 AM
I understand that you and your daughter are not now interested in fly fishing. However, there is a fly shop in Carmel: Central Coast Fly Fishing - Carmel, CA (http://www.centralcoastflyfishing.com). Although I've never been there (I live in the mountains east of Sacramento), as a fly fisherman, I'm sure that they would give you good local information.

mike_l
11-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Here's a link to the dfg planting schedule. There's NOTHING for Monterey or Santa Cruz cty. Loch Lomond (15 minutes from my house :() is no longer stocked and was the "go to" spot for central coast guys like us.

California Department of Fish & Game Fisheries Fish Planting Schedule by Regions (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Hatcheries/FishPlanting/)

Go to the fly shop site gbslade provided. There's a section on local fishing by location and species. You may well find that helpful, although when I check it I find myself suicidal.

You might think about targeting panfish locally and check out the Monterey County parks. Whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP. My daughters are 28 and 25 and we still fish together a couple of times a year. It's the best...

Good Luck...-Mike

maddiesdadie
11-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Thank you guys for all your valuable inputs and insights. My daughter is 8 and seeing her catch her first perch over the weekend really brought tears to my eyes. She had always express how her friends go fishing with their parents and I being too involved with work never really take the time out for these things with her. Well I'm glad a met some of the FS guys at the Coyote Bait & tackle store because they point me to the FS board here. We tried the perch fishing over the weekend and now with all your guides we are eagerly excited to go and do the trout fishing at Camanche next weekend. Again I would like to thank everyone here and would like to continue to ask some of the beginners questions if you guys don't mind. Thank you all very much.

Brutus20
11-10-2010, 09:10 AM
As has been mentioned already it dose'nt look like the DFG stocks anything in Monterey Co.. or even Pinto Lake in Watsonville anymore. If your after trout it looks like you will have to drive a little ways. Threre is Quarry Lakes in Fremont and Shadow Cliffs and Del Valle in Pleasanton and Livermore. All three get well stocked this time of year but it's close to a 2 hr. drive for you. Good luck and props for getting the youngsters involved .

..............Brutus............

Plug-n-Jug
11-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Thank you guys for all your valuable inputs and insights. My daughter is 8 and seeing her catch her first perch over the weekend really brought tears to my eyes. She had always express how her friends go fishing with their parents and I being too involved with work never really take the time out for these things with her. Well I'm glad a met some of the FS guys at the Coyote Bait & tackle store because they point me to the FS board here. We tried the perch fishing over the weekend and now with all your guides we are eagerly excited to go and do the trout fishing at Camanche next weekend. Again I would like to thank everyone here and would like to continue to ask some of the beginners questions if you guys don't mind. Thank you all very much.
If your headed to Camanche, take her to the south shore pond. Check out my post form last sunday. If you have any questions post up or PM me. Kevin

maddiesdadie
11-11-2010, 11:46 AM
If your headed to Camanche, take her to the south shore pond. Check out my post form last sunday. If you have any questions post up or PM me. Kevin

Kevin, Thanks for the heads up. We are packed and ready to head up tonight and stay at my cousins house and take all the kids first thing in the morning to south shore. Great post by the way!! Thanks again.

tyler

Plug-n-Jug
11-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Kevin, Thanks for the heads up. We are packed and ready to head up tonight and stay at my cousins house and take all the kids first thing in the morning to south shore. Great post by the way!! Thanks again.

tyler

Tyler, Your welcome. A little info for you if you are not familiar with the pond.
Once you pay at the gate the pond is just down the road on your left. You will notice a chain link fence around it. You can park your car on the right where the fence ends and walk over to the steps that will take you to the first floating dock. I used a small bobber with 3' to the hook. Bait of choice is a chartruse powerworm threaded so it hangs straight on the hook. If the wind is blowing, cast out 20-30' at 10oclock and let it drift to 1oclock. If it is calm just cast out to your right anywhere from 12-2. that should get you into them. You can always fish green power bait 3' off the bottom too. best of luck and post photos for us to enjoy. Kevin