PDA

View Full Version : Being Picky equals no Turkey

Hof
11-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Went to Ione today to chase thankgiving dinner. Solid two hour drive but worth it because I almost always see turkeys. Nothing going for a while so I walked up a small ridge to look down on a pond. I stayed in the tree line and next thing you know I have turkeys all around me. They scattered so I walked about another 40 yards and sat down. They were a little confused and wanted to get back together and join the flock so I started calling and slowy turkeys started walking through. Well, I got picky and ended up with nothing. I had 4 jakes and a bunch of hens come with in 20 yards of me but behind them was a big old tom. I had him in my sights and was sure he was going to follow the young ones right past me. I let all 4 jakes go, (Wasn't really interested in the hens) anticipating the tom but something spooked him. I must have moved slightly or he just saw me. He ended up running through the trees at about 40 yards but I never had a clear shot. Couldn't track them down the rest of the morning. Had 4 easy shots today but got picky and waited for the big boy. Oh well, If I would have dusted a Jake I would have been thinking What if.... the rest of the day. I'll be back....

Hof

outdoordude
11-23-2010, 06:48 AM
wow Hof I prefer hens over toms. great eating just take the biggest one. and if you don't take a jake or a tom they'll be there come spring .

Hof
11-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Thats what most of my friends say as well. I have shot my share of turkeys but never a hen. Where I hunt them I am lucky that I usually see turkeys, and there is something about the big boys that gets the heart thumping. Should have dusted one of the Jakes, but hey, it was fun. Told the story to the wife and kids and the kids were pretty torked off that I didn't shoot the ones I saw so they would have more feathers to play with. I might head back tomorrow or Friday.

Hof

DRF
11-23-2010, 03:17 PM
With it being fall I would have take'n any one of them hen or jake.

:turkydance1:

JrF

Hof
11-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Hind sight is......well you know. Next time, if the opportunity arises, I am sure I'll let the Tom go and pull on the others. I have a date with him this spring.

Hof

DUNNIGAN JIM
11-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Hof I too use to hunt up nr Ione for turkey . Seen some nice toms. The property I hunted got sold off , the kids wanted the city life . I've always seen some nice turkey on my way to Amador and Commanche . Good Luck next time