PDA

View Full Version : Crabbing from a public pier, question about rules

ECVMatt
10-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Does a crab net count as a rod? On most public piers 2 rods is the limit, how does a crab net play into this? Can you legally have 2 rods and a net or does it count as one?

sethonious
10-12-2007, 10:50 AM
A net counts as a rod. 2 rods, 1 rod and 1 net, or 2 nets.

ECVMatt
10-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Thank you, that could be an expensive mistake.

Matt

janbfishinfolk
10-14-2007, 07:12 AM
I've been searching the regs on this as well as the regs on boat fishing Tomales. *Not saying you're wrong but here is what I've found so far.

While fishing in San Francisco and San Pablo bays you can only use one fishing line with no more than three separate hooks or lures. When fishing from a boat, fishing is restricted to daylight hours only (one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset). While fishing from public piers inside San Francisco and San Pablo bays you can not use more than two rods and lines, two hand lines, or two nets, traps or other appliances used to take crabs. Every person while taking invertebrates (crabs, clams) which have a size limit shall carry a device which is capable of accurately measuring the size of the species taken.

When I look at the regs for Pt Areana to Pidgeon Pt that statement isn't listed. *I do see
Regulations for some species may differ inside San Francisco Bay;. *

On the website pierfishing.com (not a dfg site but answered by a dfg person) *in the FAQ sections it states

If I have two rods and lines in the water on a public pier, can I also put a baited hoop net in the water?
No, you may use no more than two rods and lines, two hand lines, or two nets, traps or other appliances used to take crabs
area is unspecified. *When I fished the pier in Tomales everyone had a max of 2 lines - of course some had them for everyone in the family including 2 yr old kids.

I'm sure you are right but I just can't find it in the regs.

dimpala95
10-14-2007, 02:44 PM
You can have only 2 lines out.