PDA

View Full Version : Safe place to try for some rock cods on a boat

dannieboiz
11-29-2010, 05:02 PM
I have a 21ft boat, it's definitely sea worthy but the captain (me) isn't. I wanna start doing some rock cod fishing or some new species in the ocean/bay vs stripers and sturgeon in the delta all the time. Does anyone have some good advise on where to start?

Flow
11-29-2010, 06:52 PM
I think rock cod is close you better check if you plan on going

GhostSlayer
11-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Santa Cruz a good area but rock cod and ling cod season is closed until next May. White Sea Bass and Halibut are pretty much all you can catch right now.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Tight Lines,

GhostSlayer

dannieboiz
11-29-2010, 07:44 PM
I don't mind WSB and some halibuts.... I just want my boat dipped in some salt. LOL

GhostSlayer
11-29-2010, 08:01 PM
For sure,
I've caught WSB in Monterey bay but don't really know if they are still around. I've heard Capitola has some WSB you can try for. Halibut has been caught near the Mile buoy.
You can definatly give it a try. If I were you I would check the weather, wind and swells before I go out. Good luck! Let us know how you do if you go out!
Tight Lines!

MyPhoenix2301
11-30-2010, 09:05 AM
You can fish for sanddabs year round. They are great eating. I am not sure if there is a limit now. Been a few years since I fished for them in Monterey Bay out of Moss Landing.

Toxic_Waste
11-30-2010, 06:20 PM
I second the sand dabs idea. I love those! They are so good dredged in a little flour, salt and pepper then pan cooked in some butter and olive oil. Get a Sabiki rig and bait it up with some pieces of raw squid and you're good to go. Bounce it along a sandy bottom and the dabs are usually everywhere. I fish out of Moss, too.

P.S. Don't be surprised if something bigger comes along to get your dabs. One time a big halibut was eating my dabs, and I saw it follow them up to the surface. Another time it was a white-tipped shark, even though a marine scientist I know said there are no white-tipped sharks in Monterey Bay. But I KNOW it was one.

nitty917
12-02-2010, 07:27 PM
I have a 21ft boat, it's definitely sea worthy but the captain (me) isn't. I wanna start doing some rock cod fishing or some new species in the ocean/bay vs stripers and sturgeon in the delta all the time. Does anyone have some good advise on where to start?

cod is closed till next year. you can do dabs and crab!

memebop
12-03-2010, 02:40 PM
I think rock cod is still open below Pigeon Point. Monterey, Santa Cruz, and other places mentioned may be open until Dec. 31st.

nitty917
12-04-2010, 11:45 PM
I think rock cod is still open below Pigeon Point. Monterey, Santa Cruz, and other places mentioned may be open until Dec. 31st.

Nov 15 i believe that area closed and Oct. 31st HMB/SF
Next season will extend till december, and I believe Lingcods will go back to 22"

EarlyFish
12-05-2010, 03:02 AM
Rookie's question: are there any rock cods out in the San Pablo & SF Bay, or are they primarily out in the ocean? I know there's some dabs in the San Pablo Bay.

nitty917
12-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Rookie's question: are there any rock cods out in the San Pablo & SF Bay, or are they primarily out in the ocean? I know there's some dabs in the San Pablo Bay.

no there isnt any maybe find one here in there, but not as plentiful as the coastline.
Dabs in san pablo bay, i think you mean flounders. ive seen sanddabs go far as fort baker by the golden gate.

dannieboiz
12-06-2010, 11:10 PM
When is a good time to start fishing the bay/ocean? I'm debating on if I should store my boat part of the year in near saltwater and Oct to April (best time to fish)in Pittsburg.? I'm in San Jose, so SF/Monterey/Santa Cruz/Half Moon Bay are all around an hour from me. I like where I am now cause I know lots of people here and the water real well. Going to saltwater would be like looking for needles in a hay stack. I would have no clue on the different rigs/bait on the salt water species.

nitty917
12-12-2010, 02:41 AM
When is a good time to start fishing the bay/ocean? I'm debating on if I should store my boat part of the year in near saltwater and Oct to April (best time to fish)in Pittsburg.? I'm in San Jose, so SF/Monterey/Santa Cruz/Half Moon Bay are all around an hour from me. I like where I am now cause I know lots of people here and the water real well. Going to saltwater would be like looking for needles in a hay stack. I would have no clue on the different rigs/bait on the salt water species.

well you can usually start picking up halibut around may and rock cod in june or july i forgot. i fish haibut and stripers may-july and move on over to rock cod when the bite picks up.

dannieboiz
12-12-2010, 08:41 PM
well you can usually start picking up halibut around may and rock cod in june or july i forgot. i fish haibut and stripers may-july and move on over to rock cod when the bite picks up.

Cool, I'll come find you when may comes around. :) Shouldn't be hard to find a yellow boat out there. If you see a few Asian guys stalking you in a Striper don't ram them, it's probably me. :carlo5wu:

Know_Excuses
12-13-2010, 08:33 AM
If your a newbie to the salt do a few trips on some 6 pak boats and learn the waters where you plan on taking your own boat. Also you can learn the gear and see what its like out there. The ocean can get mean quick and its a not a good place to learn. Just my 2cents

nitty917
12-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Cool, I'll come find you when may comes around. :) Shouldn't be hard to find a yellow boat out there. If you see a few Asian guys stalking you in a Striper don't ram them, it's probably me. :carlo5wu:

lol no problem, are you guys viet?

dannieboiz
12-13-2010, 09:37 PM
lol no problem, are you guys viet?

uhh, is it that obvious? :naughty:

nitty917
12-20-2010, 09:07 PM
uhh, is it that obvious? :naughty:

lol no but I am just was wondering, send me a message next time you go out. Might go out with you

dannieboiz
12-20-2010, 09:25 PM
sounds like a plan. U can't run "I know where you browse" ROLMAO

Monterey10
01-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Mid winter, the best bet is Sand Dab fishing. Check with the local shops for the best places. I usually fish a top and bottom weighted Sabiki in about 100' of water off Blacks Point, Santa Cruz.

FOr the bay, try shark fishing.

In the winter, you're always playing chicken with the weather. Never go out on the open Ocean if the weather is changin...