PDA

View Full Version : Pheasants?????

Reel Fun
12-06-2010, 09:20 PM
I keep hearing this is a great year for wild birds??? Has anyone seen this?

RF

Berryessa Kid
12-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Not me. My wild bird hunts get tougher and tougher every year. Partly because the farmers leave zero habitat and the other part is predators. It's not the farmers fault they are trying to make a living in a tuff industry "Thanks By The Way!!" and the skunks, coons, and coyotes in many areas are out of control too. Mother nature plays her weather role as well. More and more it is going to club style hunting. Unless you want to drive? I hunt clubs but I will still hunt the wild birds even knowing my day may not be as productive. Much more satisfying... Steve.

Reel Fun
12-07-2010, 07:00 PM
I hear you Steve!! You walk all day most birds flush out of range you are lucky to get a couple but it beats that get out of the truck walk 40 yards and the dog is locking up left n right and in 15 min you have shot 10 and spent $300.

RF

Waterdog
12-08-2010, 10:53 AM
It all depends on where you hunt. I have access to 800+ acres on private land around the Colusa area -its been a great year there for me pheasant wise. I know however that most public land produces very few results and even most private property produces few birds because of farming practices and lack of habitat. Overall Calif. pheasant population is quite low and I don't foresee any improvement in the future.

Reel Fun
12-08-2010, 09:16 PM
I just got access to hunt 900 acres of marsh type area just north of Marysville. Hope they are there??

RF

Big Game
12-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Ma Nature can help the wild Pheasants by providing us with Spring Rains that increase
the mosquito population which in turn provides food for the young Pheasant chicks.

Big Game