PDA

View Full Version : Is Thursday 9/27 a good day for Abalone dig?

bluestar
09-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Tides for September 27, 2007.

Low 6:15 PM -0.1

I think sunset is around 6:30. I probably can start around 5:30 pm and be done in 30 min...

abdiver12
09-26-2007, 06:38 PM
That's not alot of time, especially with the days getting shorter. Hopefully you'll hit a place that isn't picked out too much or you might have a tough time.

bluestar
09-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Good thought....I'll be going to Abioin. I think if I walk further away from the descend spot, it will be less picked. Plus I have a wetsuit to go to chest-high water.

abdiver12
09-27-2007, 01:43 AM
Shore picking huh? Never tried that before. At least it greatly reduces your chances of drowning or getting eaten. Best of luck and do let us know how you do.

bluestar
09-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Shore picking huh? *Never tried that before. *At least it greatly reduces your chances of drowning or getting eaten. *Best of luck and do let us know how you do.

Yep shore picking is enough for me. Not interested in dealing with sharkies.

Heading out now. Looks like a beautiful day to go to the beach. You guys don't slack off while I'm gone!!

Will post some pics later.

Sin_Coast
09-27-2007, 03:05 PM
"Is Thursday 9/27 a good day for Abalone dig?"

How deep do you have to DIG to catch abalonies?
Har har!

Good luck! Hope you get some tasty snails. I actually prefer shore-picking to diving. Unless I'm diving from my kayak.

Ben510le
09-28-2007, 07:02 AM
Shore picking huh? *Never tried that before. *At least it greatly reduces your chances of drowning or getting eaten. *Best of luck and do let us know how you do.

dont get eaten by crabs :D
abalone sounds so good now
havent had one is super long
good luck

bluestar
09-28-2007, 08:21 AM
Folks, no picture but I'll exlain why in my report.

This is my first ab hunt this season. Have been too busy but I'm determined to get a few trips in before end of season. So I took off around 12 noon and headed to Albion 3 hours away. Weather was beautiful.

I was there by 3pm. Low tide was not until 6 pm, but I decided to get into the water anyway. Turned out I needed all that time. To my surprise, the shore of Albion cove is practically PICKED OUT!! In the beginning of the season I can basically be done in 10 minutes, but this time I swam for one hour and saw nothing. I was getting nervous....How can I tell my wife I am not able to catch something that doesn't really move??

The place has also grown sea grass all over, so thick that it made it very difficult to see the bottom. I could only try to peek thru when waves swing them back and forth.

But I like a good challenge. This was a real hunt, not just "gathering". I finally caught one that is 7 1/2 inches. In the past I'd hve left them along but this time it's a keeper for me. By this time I've been in water for 2 hours.

The 2nd one I caught was bigger at 8 inches. By this time I was in water for almost 3 hours. I almost lost it to the waves -- I put it on a rock to open my bag, and a wave knocked it right back into the water and disappears into the grass. I was pissed and not about to let it go just like that. I searched all over and the effort paid off. I got it back.

I still wanted to get my third, but by then it was getting dark, I could barely see underwater. So I had to settle for 2. This is the first time I did not get my limit. Since it was getting dark, plus I was exhausted from 3 hours of swim, I did not attempt to take pictures.

When I got up to my car, the F&G ranger was there -- another surprise. I did not think they'd bother to be out there on a Thursday in late Sept, predictably very few people would be there. In fact, I was the only one there.

Ranger checked to see everything was fine, then before we parted he told me "too bad you lost your snorkel". I was taken aback. Yes I did lost my snorkel. I think it's a friendly reminder/warning that shore picker's every move is being watched from above.

So there you have it, the story about the two hardest abs I have ever taken.

A side note, I saw a lot of sizeable fish hiding in the grass. Some are as big as 12-15 inches. They are not the usual species that we fish for (not rock cod, perch, bass, etc.). They are of a shaded red with some shaded blue color. I'm wondering if it's legal and possible to bring a spear gun to hunt them? Anyone know? Can I have a spear gun while ab hunting?

abdiver12
09-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Absolutely, you can have a speargun while hunting. *In fact, i know some guys that never ab dive without one. *Nice effort in an area that's obviously picked out. *Fort Ross is the same way which is why I don't dive there anymore. *If I were you I'd try a place with less diving pressure. *Try Red Barn South/Pedotti Reef. *You have to hike through some cow pastures and down a cliff, but the picking is much better. *Here's one of three 9.5ers I pulled a few weeks back just south of there:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m280/abdiver12/100_4989.jpg

bluestar
09-28-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm thinking about getting this 18" speargun, the shortest I can find (for portability). What do you think?

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/JBLD5.html#ReviewInfoTab

MB_Kevin
09-28-2007, 11:33 PM
That sounds fun. We went out poke polling at that same time for the low tide. We got 4 eels and a cab and some other kind of rock fish. We let them all go. How far out do you have to go to get these and are they ever found up by shore on a low tide. I'm there alot at low tide messing around but never looked for one. Im sure most are picked up but could get lucky some day.

bluestar
09-29-2007, 06:05 AM
That sounds fun. *We went out poke polling at that same time for the low tide. *We got 4 eels and a cab and some other kind of rock fish. *We let them all go. *How far out do you have to go to get these and are they ever found up by shore on a low tide. *I'm there alot at low tide messing around but never looked for one. Im sure most are picked up but could get lucky some day.

Are you asking about picking abs or spearfishing? In either case, I usually go out to about chest-high depth at 0 tide and snorkel around. Anywhere closer to shore the abs are reachable by the mass pickers without wetsuit and are likely to have been picked completely.

MB_Kevin
09-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Is there a special license needed to take abs. I thought I heard of something about paying for the ones you take but not sure I got that right. That was mostly my question. I'm sure my chances of finding one are low but if I did I would not be sure if I was allowed to take it. I might need to get a wet suit and try that some time.
I don't really like any shell fish like oysters or clams but I had abalone on a party boat one time and it was great!!

bluestar
09-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Yes there is a abalone "card" you have to buy in addition to the fishing license. Once you buy that, no other fee.

Make sure you read up on ALL the rules as abs are vigorously protected by DFG and any violation of the letters of the law, despite any innocent intention, will land you in court with fines frequently above $1000.

Rangers are always using high power binoculars to observe people. I have a friend who got busted for taking abs for his wife who had proper license. That was a violation. The ranger was obviously watching him the whole time he was in water.

Investing in a wetsuit is adviseable. Without it, you will be cold and miserable even in 2' of water. I think at the beginning of the season you can get by without a wetsuit but now definitely not.