PDA

View Full Version : Camanche 12/16/10 Quality Fish

HookedForLife
12-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Well, my hook wound from Dec 10 is almost healed up, and my outboard is running well again, so I decided to try Camanche today before the storms set in. I took a friend this time and launched from North Shore at 10 AM. We trolled along the North Shore towards the Narrows and picked up one 16" trout at the Narrows on a solid orange Rapala. Turned around and trolled back to get two 17'' ers and one 19 " fish at Horse Island by 1 PM, all fat and sassy and hard fighters on light spinning rods! Nothing more there or at the Rock Wall, so we headed for Hat Island around 2 PM.

We trolled the shallows north of Hat Island, from 10-16' depths, where we caught a 15", 19" and a 23" fish; the latter fish weighed at least 6 pounds, but didn't bring my scale along today. It looked like an adult winter steelhead!

The F-9 Firetiger Rapala was the hot lure, and one fish was caught on a 3" orange grub (we lost another on the grub). So our total was 8 hookups, with 7 to the net, not limits, but quality fish! We were lucky today! I hope we are not spoiled!

gatorbait
12-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Nice report! Sounds like you and the koke-machine have this lake dialed in.:trout:

GNappers
12-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Sounds like some quality fish. Thank you for the info.

16fisher
12-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Guess I'll be heading back to Camanche after this storm moves thru. Just hit Fishermans warehouse to stock up on R-9s in firetiger and Hot steel. What pound test leaders do you use with grubs, behind flashers or dodgers? New to trolling for trout so all info is appreciated.

HookedForLife
12-17-2010, 07:54 AM
16Fisher -

Unlike for kokanaee fishng, I haven't been using any dodgers/flashers or swivels for trout. I'm just tying a 3-foot piece of 8-lb fluorocarbon leader to my main line (8-10 lb mono) using a surgeon's knot (stronger and easier to tie than a blood knot). Then I tie on my Rapala lure using a Rapala knot. I also put ProCure Trophy trout or Threadfin Shad gel onto the lure.

For the 3" orange grub, I put a 1/16 oz. egg sinker above a chain swivel, which is then tied to the fluorocarbon leader with grub.

I'll never be as good as Kokemachine at catching trout, but rather try to follow his example, as he is very generous about providing accurate information to the benefit of everyone who reads these posts!

Hope this helps!

16fisher
12-17-2010, 10:05 AM
All info helps, thanks..

bee
12-17-2010, 05:35 PM
great report@!! and thanks for all the info shared for us who are just learning about catching trout.

dogfish
12-17-2010, 06:41 PM
ive been to comanche twice in the last three weeks and its been awesome! im not afraid to spend money on lures like rapala. however ive picked up some rebels lately and theyve worked out pretty good. my biggest fish was on the black one with grey dimonds down the back. i also got alot of hits on the chartruese /pearl 3"grubs but i think i have to learn witch hook to use and also how to rig it because they spit it out everytime!! comanche RULES!!!!

Koke Machine83
12-17-2010, 07:28 PM
HookedForLife: Sounds like a great day on Lake Camanche. Glad you were able to move around and find some nice fish. Those Rapala's are just Awesome up there. No fishing for me this weekend. Have to do the Christmas Shopping with Mrs. Koke Machine. Good Luck to everyone and most of all, Stay Dry!!!! PS, Now its time to put the Camera to use... :yahoo:

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

HookedForLife
12-20-2010, 04:18 PM
HookedForLife: Sounds like a great day on Lake Camanche. Glad you were able to move around and find some nice fish. Those Rapala's are just Awesome up there. No fishing for me this weekend. Have to do the Christmas Shopping with Mrs. Koke Machine. Good Luck to everyone and most of all, Stay Dry!!!! PS, Now its time to put the Camera to use... :yahoo:

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

Yeah, Christmas with the family is super-important! FYI, my priorities are as follows, in order of priority:

1. Family
2. Fishing (can include family, when interested and willing!)
3. Senior Softball (can include family, if good potluck food is available)
4. Volunteer work for good causes (family generally prefers different good causes)
5. Travel (family loves this!)
6. Sorry, but no more time left for anything else!!