PDA

View Full Version : Ice on Boca?!?!?

serge
12-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Anyone been to Boca Res. lately to see if there is ice and if it is thick enough to get on???? Is there maybe a web site with this kind of info??? Thanks for all replies :fishing5:

Paul_707
12-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Heres a recent report, my guess is at least a few weeks before theres a safe layer:
ImHooked.com Fishing Forums - I may not be pretty but.... (http://imhooked.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1293493387)

serge
01-05-2011, 01:32 AM
thanks for the reply paul. Anymore current updates on the ice out there??? Going up to a cabin next week and was hoping to do some ice fishing. Got all my gear ready since september, and it will be a bummer if the ice isn't there yet!!!!!!

tkratcha
01-05-2011, 09:44 PM
I talked to the guys at Mountain Hardware in Truckee yesterday. Davis has been frozen for awhile, ice is good reports are mixed. Prosser has been frozen for 6 days. And Boca was still open as far as he knew of.

hellbent
01-07-2011, 07:41 AM
as of last week- it was wide open

serge
01-07-2011, 10:07 PM
thanks for the replies guys. It is now time for me to go up there and check it out for my self. Will report back when i get back next week.

aldonova
01-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Fished Boca last Friday mid morning to early afternoon at the dam. The ice was 4". Picked up 1 13" rainbow and lost something a fair amount bigger on a tip up. Two of us put lots of time in for not much action. There were 4 guys there when we arrived who had 3 but not much size. But, they had picked up a 23" brown on Thursday. Being a glutten for punishment I tried again on this last Monday. 5 guys beat me out there and no hook ups although I did have crawdads wrap up 2 rigs. The ice on Monday was a good 6". Will be trying Loon this Saturday and expect better luck.

slinky_disaster
01-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Let us know how Loon was!!!

serge
01-16-2011, 11:30 AM
finally made it out to boca for some ice fishing. We rented a cabin on donner lake and were there for a week. We were able to go to boca four times but had absolutly no success. I go there every year and never been skunked before so this was pretty bad. The first part of the week no one was catching anything at all, but on friday we went around 10 am and there were four guys out there already. They had three nice fish caught around 6am. Then the bite was off the rest of the day :cry:. Well maybe it was just a bad week to be out there so I'll have to try it again in a couple of weeks. If anyone else goes please report!

aldonova
01-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Let us know how Loon was!!!
Loon was not bad on Saturday. I could not get it figured out and only pulled 1 12" rainbow on a tip up that had not tripped. The fish were picking up the bait, crawlers, powerbait, eggs, and fire corn and just hanging out. My buddies co-worker friend who he introduced to ice fishing last year who limited out 1st trip out did it again with a 17" rainbow topping the stringer. He ended up catching 7 with 2 fish over 16". Buddy Pete caught 5 and again I tried everything, every color, every depth. I had holes opened everwhere and managed just the 1. The ice is close to 12" thick with 12" of crusty snow on top of that. Fish did not start till around 10am.

aldonova
01-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Loon was not bad on Saturday. I could not get it figured out and only pulled 1 12" rainbow on a tip up that had not tripped. The fish were picking up the bait, crawlers, powerbait, eggs, and fire corn and just hanging out. My buddies co-worker friend who he introduced to ice fishing last year who limited out 1st trip out did it again with a 17" rainbow topping the stringer. He ended up catching 7 with 2 fish over 16". Buddy Pete caught 5 and again I tried everything, every color, every depth. I had holes opened everwhere and managed just the 1. The ice is close to 12" thick with 12" of crusty snow on top of that. Fish did not start till around 10am.
One thing to note is that when I fished Boca it was skateable ice and quite translucent. You need to hit the ice very early and then again in th evening. Loon and Caples get the snow build up on the ice blocking the light and the bite starts later and generally lasts longer.

longlined
01-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Just wondering if anyone knew how prosser was. How much snow on the ice and how the fishing is? Thanks in advance.

serge
01-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Still haven't made it back out but would like to as soon as it gets cold again. anyone been out lately?? hows is the ice with all this warm weather???