PDA

View Full Version : what is a good fish finder

247fishaholic
01-09-2011, 09:39 AM
im looking for a fish finder, any suggestion. Im looking for one around the range of 5-600 dollar. please give advice and state why is it good.

ReelJerks
01-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Maybe tell us WHERE you fish and for WHAT you fish. It will help in making correct suggestions.

Edd

AnglingWes
01-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Yea, that's a pretty broad question. Are you looking for just a ff, or ff/GPS combo? Do you fish in 4' for bass, 250' for halibut, or somewhere in between? What kind of boat will the unit be installed on?

My first response to your question is would be a Lowrance 5x-DSI or Humminbird 596HD. Both are great FF with HD down scan imaging for getting a detailed shot of the bottom structure. I am a bass guy thou, and neither of these choices would be a top pick for a troller, bait, or salt guy.

ReelJerks
01-10-2011, 09:49 AM
.....and neither of these choices would be a top pick for a troller, bait, or salt guy. Interesting you make this claim Wes. I, almost exclusively, fish by trolling. I was thinking about getting a 5x DSI and mounting at the stern. I'm curious why you think this would not be the unit to get? I already have an HDS-10 at the console.

For the OP, I think the Lowrance DSI units would make an excellent choice for most green water fisheries, unless you plan on networking more than one. The DSI units are NOT network-able, and that is there only drawback that I can see.

Edd

AnglingWes
01-10-2011, 11:46 AM
RJ,

My statement was based on my experience, which may be skewed a bit. I grew up in Seattle on the Puget Sound and have trolled for salmon most of my life, but am an avid black bass fisherman now. On the Sound, we typically fished the top half of the water column (0-250') for salmon. Rarely did we really care about the bottom unless we were bouncing the DR on the bottom for pinks or silvers in 50-100'. Even then, bottom features were not critical on the screen, we wanted to see balls of bait suspended, and used a very detailed topo chart to guide us.

Trolling for stripes in the Delta or for Kokes in a lake may be a totally different ball game, and a detailed shot of whats below may be important. I've never trolled in the 10 years I've lived in CA, but I know its a very effective way to fish many of our waterways. Sorry if my comment was misleading. I love the 5x series, and the DSI is incredible for the money. I wish it could be linked to an HDS as well, but for your application, it isn't really necessary.

ReelJerks
01-10-2011, 12:16 PM
RJ,

My statement was based on my experience, which may be skewed a bit. I grew up in Seattle on the Puget Sound and have trolled for salmon most of my life, but am an avid black bass fisherman now. On the Sound, we typically fished the top half of the water column (0-250') for salmon. Rarely did we really care about the bottom unless we were bouncing the DR on the bottom for pinks or silvers in 50-100'. Even then, bottom features were not critical on the screen, we wanted to see balls of bait suspended, and used a very detailed topo chart to guide us.

Trolling for stripes in the Delta or for Kokes in a lake may be a totally different ball game, and a detailed shot of whats below may be important. I've never trolled in the 10 years I've lived in CA, but I know its a very effective way to fish many of our waterways. Sorry if my comment was misleading. I love the 5x series, and the DSI is incredible for the money. I wish it could be linked to an HDS as well, but for your application, it isn't really necessary.Right, not really necessary. By mounting it astern It will help keep the guests entertained, away from the console, and it would add an extra pair or two of eyes when I'm not paying attention. However inland lake fisheries where we troll on the downriggers for Kings and Kokes, knowledge of bottom structure and composition is very necessary at certain times of our fishing year. Still, it is on my 'consideration' list.

Edd

AnglingWes
01-10-2011, 12:34 PM
By mounting it astern It will help keep the guests entertained, away from the console,

Just for this alone, having a DSI would be a cool feature.

Monterey10
01-10-2011, 01:52 PM
The Furuno fish finders are very nice. The Hummingbird 3d are nice. I felt that I didn't need color on my sounder, so I went with the Furuno LS6100. The silver screen works well in sunlight. The screen resolution is good. Shop around, you can find good prices on these units.

Winddog
01-14-2011, 06:21 AM
I just purchased a Humminbird 570, I'll post up how it works. Happy Friday all!

Semperfifishing
01-31-2011, 05:23 PM
I use the Furuno FCV620 and the Furuno FCV585..both outstanding sonars

Recently I tested the Si-Tex SVS 650 and was totally impressed with its abilities as compared to the Furuno FCV 620.

The Si-Tex has a larger and higher quality screen, isa fully digital sonar and even had the ability to store 10 screen shots.

And like the FCV620 ,you can see targets to 20 mph and keep bottom to over 40 mph.

It sell for $560 or so..and is a winner.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/999/2010svs6501.png

ibmw m6
02-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Use a god with a cowbell around his neck. when it rings fish right under that spot.

LOL