PDA

View Full Version : Homemade bait tanks

LookInTheWaterSon
09-06-2007, 03:12 PM
So I wanna build a bait tank for my boat, I'm thinking transom mounted bilge pump connected to the drain plug in my 30qt cooler. And then drilling a hole near the top for and overflow hose draining overboard. Is constant flow going to be enough or do I need an aerorator sp? as well? Any helpful stories or plans/ideas would be much appreciated!

LookInTheWaterSon
09-07-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the idea about forced water intake. I'll definetaly draw something like that into my plan. How did you secure the barrel to the boat or is it freestanding? Any pics?

Paisano
09-09-2007, 10:33 AM
I built one like the Squid recommended and it works great. My family has several boats, so I made it portable to use in any one of the boats. One thing I added was a valve on the intake line to control the amount of water coming in, just in case*the tank is filling faster than it drains. I used all plastic pvc pipe, clear vinyl hose, and a pvc elbow for the intake. The intake is mounted on a flat rectangular plate, and I installed large suction cups on the back of the plate which I just stick on the transom. *With the suction cups on the intake plate, *you can experiment a little and locate the intake so it's above the water level when the boat is at full plane, *and submerged at low speeds.

basil
09-14-2007, 12:30 PM
You can use your cooler buy be sure to add something inside to round off the corners. Bait likes to swim in circles and gets damaged bumping into square corned thing.

keciga1
09-15-2007, 12:41 AM
Why not use a plastic 35gal drum. You can go to any carwash and ask them if they can give you one.