PDA

View Full Version : Under Water Camera

247fishaholic
01-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Have anybody ever tried using an under water camera? If so, what's your experience on it? Is it well worth it, or not to your expectation. Does it really give you the help and clear look of the fish, or is it useless? Give your opinion and your suggestion. What brand or setup would be best?

ReelJerks
01-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Are you talking about 'photography' or just watching fish when they happen by? How deep? Remembering where in your lake, you lose visible light.

There are quite a bunch of the Harbor Freight cameras on the houseboats at Pine Flat. From what I have witnessed, at shallow depth they are entertaining, but at deeper than 30 feet they are boring.

Edd

247fishaholic
01-15-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm talking about an underwater video camera. Just wondering if you can realy see fish at 20-30 feet depth, and will it be helpful in fishing. I'm thinking about getting one so just wonder if it's worth getting. Thanks for the info.

ReelJerks
01-16-2011, 12:55 PM
It will depend largely on the quality of the equipment, and whether or not you incorporate artificial light at the camera head. One of the guys at The Flat has a very expensive set-up and we can see fish at the 45 foot mark with the light on. But, um, I couldn't afford such a set-up, and still fly to The Flat in my helicopter like he does.

Edd

ot
01-17-2011, 12:53 AM
I bought one from cabelas and it was about $79 on sale. Its a black and white unit with infrared lighting. It works really good and I was surprised. The main thing is that the water needs to be pretty clear. Sandy bottoms are best and looks pretty cool. Muddy bottoms are pretty much useless. I think the deepest has been about 30 feet at Shadow cliffs. Water clarity is the key. It was cheap and it keeps the kids entertained. We have been able to spot trout swimming around. Another thing is that the camera will rotate in the water at will so it is a little distracting at times.

247fishaholic
01-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Thanks guys, now I really want one. I think it will be very entertaining.

CrappieJed
01-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Thanks guys, now I really want one. I think it will be very entertaining.
Lineside and i use them they are great...look under docks follow the contour of a lakes see catfish laying on there side sleeping...Lineside wife actually just having fun with the camera found a school of crappie we had been looking for for years...we named the cove after her...buy one they are worth every penny