PDA

View Full Version : Some days you should just stay in bed....

Angry Sturgeon
01-17-2011, 03:00 PM
I hit up the toe drain for a few hours for nothing on 1/14. On 1/15 I fished the mothball fleet for about 8 hrs and not even a tap.
On 1/16 I went out with a buddy out of Benicia, the fog was as thick as it gets and we had no gps so we waited for an hour to launch till we could see the green bouy off 9th street ramp. We tried to set anchor for 2 hours and could not get it to stick, my buddy had traded anchors with a friend and this one was not working out so we had his buddy bring us the old one and we headed back to the bouy.
My buddy passed the bouy in the thick, thick, fog and it was all bad from there, we couldnt see nothing if our lives depended on it so we set the anchor and fished while we waited out the fog. The fish finder was lit up like the fourth of July but no takers and the fog never lifted, the tide was almost to its lowest point and we tried to find the ramp LOL, Rofl, we over shot the ramp and ended up in 8 inches of water to the point we shut it down, lifted the outdrive and started paddling, or pushing bottom with the oars. We ended up in the bottom corner of the straight, benicia side, high centered in the mud 100 yds off shore. We had to wait until 8pm for the tide to get high enough for us to get out, but still in the same situation, only worse, thick fog but now it was dark, I dont know how but after an hour of slow motoring we found the ramp.
Some days you should just stay in bed, I am up to 327 hours without my first keeper sturgeon, my wife asks me, "Is it worth your life going out to get one of these things", My only response, "Yes honey, at this point with this much time in, it is".... See you guys on the water :-)..................

fisher5000
01-17-2011, 03:13 PM
I have had days like that, we all have. Makes you appreciate the good days and I always learn something new. A GPS is a must in that situation. All of the new smart phones have that capability so if a stand alone GPS is not in the budget, next time you need a new phone, consider the smart phones.
I too have had my issues with anchors not holding in a strong tide. I finally got tired of the frustration and went with a Fortress anchor. If the adage "You get what you pay for" ever applies, it sure does in this case. These anchors are pricey but they grab hold immediately and stay put, no matter the current. They are also very light in comparison to traditional anchors. When you are trying to fish, nothing worse that messing around with a anchor that keeps letting go.

dreamer2101
01-17-2011, 04:40 PM
I have had days like that, we all have. Makes you appreciate the good days and I always learn something new. A GPS is a must in that situation. All of the new smart phones have that capability so if a stand alone GPS is not in the budget, next time you need a new phone, consider the smart phones.
I too have had my issues with anchors not holding in a strong tide. I finally got tired of the frustration and went with a Fortress anchor. If the adage "You get what you pay for" ever applies, it sure does in this case. These anchors are pricey but they grab hold immediately and stay put, no matter the current. They are also very light in comparison to traditional anchors. When you are trying to fish, nothing worse that messing around with a anchor that keeps letting go.

well glad to hear u fellas made back safely.......it happen to us once outta pittsburg.....not anchor issue but battery failure and thick fog....we sat ther and listen if other r boaters comin at us .....finally an hour later 1 boat came by but they hesitate to help n jus left....*><*ers....well 15 minutes later we were fortunate enough to see a solo fella stop an gave us a jump....for da anchor issue...go to west marine get da one dat looks like a bulls horn cast in one piece dat doesnt require to open up to dig in...about $ 40.....dat thing will hold to everything....i had one on my previuos ski boat....

Swimbaitjunkie
01-17-2011, 05:24 PM
I was in RIO on sat... I left the fishing spot around 6, and it was a bad choice.... The fog was very dense and thick...couldn't see no more than 10ft. N front of me...I almost ran out of gas too...but I manage to make it home in 2hours, usually takes 30min but I made home safe that's what counts...who ever was out there on sat/sun hope everybody made it home safe...

CRABBY
01-17-2011, 05:26 PM
iceman,you gotta be kidding me,that's enough to make the average guy just give up fishing,hope you stay home on fri. the 13th.LOL,reelfuns luck must of rubbed off on you:wink:..Better luck next time....Don

Reel Fun
01-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Greg......Gimme a call!! When is your time off again?? Lets do an all nighter and get your keeper!!!

Reel Fun

Angry Sturgeon
01-17-2011, 09:35 PM
iceman,you gotta be kidding me,that's enough to make the average guy just give up fishing,hope you stay home on fri. the 13th.LOL,reelfuns luck must of rubbed off on you:wink:..Better luck next time....Don

Don ,

Thats funny, I wish I could blame it on Ronnie but I cant, just one of those days after an already long run of no fish. The boat thing was all self induced, could of avoided it by listening to the little voice within that was screaming at me saying to foggy, fish from the bank, but then there was the louder voice of the d-backs screaming, na na na na na na....d-backs won out and had the last laugh, again.....:help:

CRABBY
01-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Don ,

Thats funny, I wish I could blame it on Ronnie but I cant, just one of those days after an already long run of no fish. The boat thing was all self induced, could of avoided it by listening to the little voice within that was screaming at me saying to foggy, fish from the bank, but then there was the louder voice of the d-backs screaming, na na na na na na....d-backs won out and had the last laugh, again.....:help:
Yeah I hear ya Greg,I just like to blame Ronnie for everything,LOL,he's a good guy though.:rolleyes2:........Don

bigeasy8240
01-18-2011, 12:21 PM
That's fishing! Martinez bridge SS have been productive. :yoda1: