PDA

View Full Version : Catfish Dumpers

quikk
01-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Went night fishing with my dad out at Garcia Bend last night, and between the time that we launched and came back (maybe an hour or two) someone that was fishing in the area drove their car/truck down the ramp and dumped 9 catfish. Didn't even dump them in the water (5 feet away), just dumped them on the ramp. Nice. This is why we can't have nice things, guys.

Biggamebass
01-24-2011, 11:00 AM
What happened to the catfish???

quikk
01-24-2011, 11:03 AM
We took them home. All the fish were in great condition, just small. Can't understand why anyone would do that...?

Marv
01-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Catfish are one of my favorite fish to catch. But some people still consider them trash fish along with carp witch are probally some of the smarter fish imo. I wouldn't kill any fish for fun, the guy next door loves fish of any type so If if keep fish or gill/gut hook, ill keep'em. Even fertilze your garden. Might have someone striper fishing and catching little cats and was getting mad. But a jerk for sure.

quikk
01-24-2011, 11:43 AM
@bassboy

I totally understand that a lot of people don't like cats. My dad thinks they taste like garbage (altough I like them). But as you say, there are tons of uses for trash fish. If nothing else, why not shout out to use from the ramp and say "Hey, you guys want some cats?". We were only 30ft off the ramp and had we known we would have taken them right on the spot.

Well, at least we technically ended our skunk streak, right? Or do these not count... hmm...

Marv
01-24-2011, 11:51 AM
If they were alive you caught them, LOL.

hitide
01-24-2011, 12:10 PM
One would think that these folks could have tossed the fish into the water instead of just tossing them onto the ramp. It is my opinion that everyone that fishes knows someone that likes to catch, or eat catfish. Catfish live a very long time out of the water, and by just tossing them away is a selfish act. It prevents our fellow fisherman from the experience of catching them, and it prevents the folks that eat them from that opportunity as well. In addition to that selfish act, it is also littering.
I'm glad you saw fit to pick them up and make use of them. This wasteful act in itself is not that large of a crime, but it does demonstrate the willingness of some folks to do things they know are wrong.

C-Weed
01-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Thumbs up for talking about this! Not cool to kill what you ain't gonna use!

GhostSlayer
01-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Yeah,
Some people just don't care about the sport we charish so much.
I don't understand why they did not just throw them back in as soon as they caught them.
Why take the fish and them dump them 30 ft. from shore? Maybe had more then there limit or they were checking people and they did not have a lic.?
And it is against the law to:
Cause the deterioration of or waste of fish or game.(CCR T-14, Section
1.87)

quikk
01-24-2011, 03:25 PM
We assume that they were "high grading" their catches and just dumped the smallest ones when they were done. But again, I have absolutely no idea why they decided not to dump them 5 feet lower into the water. No size/bag limits for cats on the sac river IIRC, so I'm going out on a limb and assuming that either they caught enough that they didn't want to take those 9 home and run out of freezer space... or they are just idiots. Combinations are possible, but I'm leaning toward the latter.

EarlyFish
01-26-2011, 02:04 AM
One would think that these folks could have tossed the fish into the water instead of just tossing them onto the ramp. It is my opinion that everyone that fishes knows someone that likes to catch, or eat catfish. Catfish live a very long time out of the water, and by just tossing them away is a selfish act. It prevents our fellow fisherman from the experience of catching them, and it prevents the folks that eat them from that opportunity as well. In addition to that selfish act, it is also littering.
I'm glad you saw fit to pick them up and make use of them. This wasteful act in itself is not that large of a crime, but it does demonstrate the willingness of some folks to do things they know are wrong.
+1+1+1 agreed

stpritch
01-26-2011, 10:46 AM
IMO, for what its worth, they are just a-holes and unfortunately they are also fisherman... sort of.

Grant916
01-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Probably some of the same guys that like to fish off the bank at Garcia Bend and leave all their Beer cans and trash everywhere without picking up after themselves. Last time I fished there we hauled three full trash bags of other peoples garbage out of there and we did not even make a dent in the amount of trash left behind. Time to start calling some of these idiots out before they ruin it for everyone.

fisherman4Ever
01-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Some people are just idiots. I've seen people do that out of anger, because the are fishing for stripers. The catfish will steal all of their baits and so once they catch the catfish they just toss it. If you ever go catfishing in the sacramento river (the right places) they will hit none stop.

But for the trash dumpers... the are just plain LAAAAZZZZZYYYY!