PDA

View Full Version : Waterfowl Gun

GetEm925
01-25-2011, 11:07 AM
I am looking to buy a new waterfowl gun this year and was wondering if any of you have suggestions. Im looking at the Remmington 870 express Super mag waterfowl because right now im shooting a older model 870 wingmaster 70-80s model and love that gun to death have never had a jam ever but want something synthetic and camo.

Delta_Rose
01-25-2011, 08:31 PM
If you are comfortable with the 870, why change? They are rugged, reliable, and shoot fine. I have done 100% of all of my thirty years of hunting with an 870. I have owned a total of eight of them in my lifetime- I only have 5 in the safe now. There is a good reason why they are the most popular pump shotgun in the world.

delta916
01-27-2011, 08:52 AM
+1. You can't beat the reliability of the 870. It will put up with a ton of abuse and keep going. I have many different shotguns including semi-auto, pumps, side-by-side, and O/U's. I have several different versions of the 870 and of all those the one I use the most is my wingmaster 30"bbl with an aftermarket synthetic stock. I've used it as a padddle a few times and lost it in a duck pond more times than I can count. I've had it covered in mud and dunked it in the pond to clean it and never had it jam. You just can't beat an 870. I have the 870 supermag and only use it when hunting geese where I might want to shoot 3 1/2" shells. It's a great all around waterfowl gun.

cowboyup03
01-27-2011, 03:12 PM
i really like the 887 it is build just like the 870 with more upgrades and its not a bad price too.

delta916
01-28-2011, 02:21 PM
i really like the 887 it is build just like the 870 with more upgrades and its not a bad price too.

That will probably be the next gun I buy. Haven't seen one in the field but it's still fairly new to the game. Have you had any problems or concerns with it?

cowboyup03
01-29-2011, 07:26 AM
i dont own one but i have seen my friends he has not had any problems with it its build really strong. and the reqoil isnt bad at all.

kokaneeCommander
02-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Two guys that I hunt with shoot the Benelli Nova and are very happy with it. I started with an 870 20ga. Then mossberg 835 that shoots real well the back bored and ported barrel does help. Then it was a Browning BPS. Now for the past 11 seasons I have shot a Browning Gold Hunter and will never go back. It will cycle everything from trap loads to the heaviest goose and turkey loads. I have put this gun through the ringer some seasons it hunted every sat. and sun. on the refuge or at the club. The bead is broken off ,the camo is starting to wear(gun scrubber takes of the finish:(),and the checkering is almost smooth. in the rain wet and dirty and it never lets me down. The gas operation dampens the recoil and makes the fallow up shots easier to get on target. Nick

Limit Stick
03-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Given that you are familiar with the 870. I would most likely purchase the 870 super mag unless you're wanting to switch to an auto. I started on a wingmaster as a child and switched to the express about the time steel shot became mandatory. As others have said, You can't beat the reliablity of the 870 in the field. I have used mine as both an paddle and as a club. It is simple to take down for cleaning or repair whether at home or in the field. I have owned a Nova after winning one at a DU dinner and it was fine. However, the barrel of my Nova developed a bulge even though I never shot steel through anything tighter than an improved modified choke. I think this was a bad barrel and not necessarily indicative of Benelli. Also, I didn't care for the foreend of the Benelli Nova. It had an unual design compared to what I was used to and it also had a lot of play and rattle to it. I own or have owned the Mossberg 835 and Winchester 1300. Neither of which would I recommend over the 870. I've never owned the Browning BPS but it's worth considering if you are a left handed shooter and don't like the distraction of the spent case flashing infront of your eyes. For the past 9 seasons I've been shooting the Benelli SBE and would recommend it if you are considering an auto. Just my 2 cents.

Jason

Yosemite Sam
03-21-2011, 08:33 PM
I am looking to buy a new waterfowl gun this year and was wondering if any of you have suggestions. Im looking at the Remmington 870 express Super mag waterfowl because right now im shooting a older model 870 wingmaster 70-80s model and love that gun to death have never had a jam ever but want something synthetic and camo.
If you like the 870 wingmaster so much (a great gun, I have two) why don't you just buy a camo or comp. stock for it?

If you want to stay with a pump I would stick with the wingmaster instead of the express. Also check out the Browning BPS, bottom feed and bottom eject with a tang safety.
For an auto I love my Benelli. My Beretta is nice and never had any problems with it but I don't like the safety in front of the trigger, like the old model 12.

Good luck you have plenty of choices out there. It's only money!!!
YS

Reel Fun
03-22-2011, 08:10 PM
I really like the Wingmaster!! I have an older 30 inch full choke and its great on wild pheasants & Turkeys!! I wish it had the Rem Choke!!

RF

LILALILFA
03-23-2011, 11:43 AM
beretta extrema 2...winchester super x3...benelli sb2...hands down from my perspective...

tonsofun
08-01-2011, 01:18 PM
If the 870 is what you have now and like it buy a new one. If you want a 3 1/2" i would stay away from the 870 super mag. My buddy bought one and it had to go to the gun smith 2 different times to fix the gun. It wouldnt cycle and it would jam or spit shells straight out the magazine tube onto the ground. The gun smith who is a authorized remington repairshop said 7 out of 10 super mags need work done right out of the box. I would recomend the 887. I got one in max-4 hd and it works great. havent had one problem. the price is right and its a whole new redisigned reciever. Well thats just my two cents.

Hooty
01-24-2012, 10:20 AM
I shoot the Super Black Eagle by Benelli and I love it it is light and can shot all 3 size of shells one after the other. I load 1-3 1/2" and 2-3", 1-2 3/4" shell when in the blind. Shot one once and you won't get anything else. Slightly pricey at $1300 to $1400 is all.

hanahou7
03-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Anyone have any experience with the Weatherby SA 08? It's a 12 gauge semi auto and has gotten good reviews (mentioned in Field and Stream), but it's made in Turkey and is only about $450...not sure about it and wanted to see if anyone else had any reviews on it.

kokaneeCommander
03-12-2012, 08:48 PM
I have one of those guns i inherited from my Dad. I have only shot a round of sporting clays with it. About 80 rounds into it the gun started to jam. This gun needs to be kept clean. It is very light and the recoil was more than I expected out of a auto. I think it would make a great pheasant gun with it's light weight. I'll stick to my Goldhunter for the waterfowl. Just my .02. Nick

hanahou7
03-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the info...that's enough for me to look for something else haha.