PDA

View Full Version : Jigging for Trout - Am I Missing Something?

TroutGhost
01-27-2011, 11:46 AM
The following is in reference to Marabou Jigs with & without chenille collar

Questions about the kinds of marabou jigs
Are jigs with chenille ok for trout?

Are jigs without chenille better for trout?

What I learned about jigging techniques from researching
1. Small size. Smaller the better. Float it under a bobber. Twitch or slowly reel back to boat/shore.

2. Small size. Smaller the better. Slowly bounce it up and down on the bottom back to shore/boat.

3. Small size. Smaller the... Jig it up and down from the boat.

Techniques 1 and 2 can be accomplished from shore or boat. Is it less effective from shore?

4. What about swimming a jig back to shore/boat? Is it viable to toss out 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 oz jigs, maybe tipped with a bit of worm and swimming it back to shore?

What I am thinking of buying and experimenting with
I am thinking of buying 1/16, 1/8, and 1/4 oz jigs (size 6 hook) and swimming them/bouncing back to shore/boat. What do you think of these sizes and techniques for catching trout?

Thanks in advance for your feedback! :)

eliasnasr
01-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Almost any type of crappie jigs will work for trout and any of those techniques will work well given you are fishing the fishes strike zone. Just think as a rule of thumb that your brighter colors (ie chartreuse, yellow, green) are going to be better for fresh planters and natural colors for holdovers or native fish. Also don't be shy if you want bigger fish you will be surprised at how easy it is for them to almost swallow 3" long minnow or leech imatations( the latter being my favorite in lakes with good holdovers and sparse baitfish. Also good quality light rods/light lines and fluorocarbon can really be an advantage for bait control. I use anything from 2 to 6 lb test. Hope this helps good luck and don't be shy about changing colors and location.

gatorbait
01-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Good video...

Video Vault (http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/vlogpage.html?ccode=VLOG133)

panther
02-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks, Gatorbait. That's a nice contribution. I may give this technique a try.
Panther

TroutGhost
02-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Yes, that's a very good video, thanks!

SuckerPunch
02-03-2011, 04:28 AM
Almost any type of crappie jigs will work for trout and any of those techniques will work well given you are fishing the fishes strike zone. Just think as a rule of thumb that your brighter colors (ie chartreuse, yellow, green) are going to be better for fresh planters and natural colors for holdovers or native fish. Also don't be shy if you want bigger fish you will be surprised at how easy it is for them to almost swallow 3" long minnow or leech imatations( the latter being my favorite in lakes with good holdovers and sparse baitfish. Also good quality light rods/light lines and fluorocarbon can really be an advantage for bait control. I use anything from 2 to 6 lb test. Hope this helps good luck and don't be shy about changing colors and location.

Awesome info there, Elias. I'll just add that if you're in a lake or reservoir with big brownies or lakers, or, hell, just big 'bows, don't be shy about bringing the bass/striper stuff - those bigger trout feed almost exclusively on other fish and crayfish, so bug-imitating stuff usually won't do the trick.