PDA

View Full Version : FREE ROCk FISH TRIP (catch & release)

FF_MYRL
05-04-2007, 10:34 AM
I signed up for june 4th. Kristan still has openings on the boat. All tackle is provided, just bring lunch. Kristan said they leave shore by 0600hrs in sausalito and return around 1500hrs and you fish dux. reefs, for rock cod.

http://www.coastsidefishingclub.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/465279/an/0/page/0#465279

slick88
05-04-2007, 11:56 AM
I signed up for june 4th. Kristan still has openings on the boat. All tackle is provided, just bring lunch. Kristan said they leave shore by 0600hrs in sausalito and return around 1500hrs and you fish dux. reefs, for rock cod.

http://www.coastsidefishingclub.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/465279/an/0/page/0#465279

Do you know which boat they go on?

bretmoua
05-04-2007, 03:11 PM
What a deal. Only bad thing about it is that it's on a Monday. I'm working. If it wasn't for that, you won't even have to ask me twice for this.

GCinGV
05-05-2007, 06:17 AM
Bretmoua,
Last year they went out several different days. Contact Kristen Green or Ashley Greenley to see what dates are still available.
kgreen@mlml.calstate.edu
agreenley@mlml.calstate.edu

GC

FF_MYRL
05-05-2007, 10:24 AM
I have had a few people tell me the link does not work. If the link does not work for you, first just go to coastside web site forums, next click on the political forum link, and finally click on the link titled "PSMFC-Duxbury Reef Final Report". You can Email Kistan or call her at 831-771-4479.

Fishing dates are:
June 4,5
July 9,10
August 13,14
Sept. 10,11

Toxic_Waste
05-09-2007, 12:59 PM
I was wondering about the catch and release of rockfish. One time on a party boat, we ran into some while dab fishing and since the season was not yet open, we threw them back and then the captain moved away from there. The water wasn't all that deep, but the fish had swim bladders coming out their mouths and their eyes popped out.

As far as the bladders go, I saw a guy on a TV fishing show stick the fish with a knife and release them. He said they'd be "fine." But his didn't have their eyes buggin' out. I am just curious if released fish who have "exploded" can still live? I have heard that certain rockfish don't have a problem with decompression, but most do.

sethonious
05-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Never ever stab the thing that comes out of a rf's mouth with a knife it is actually the stomach not the swim bladder. A fish with a stabbed stomach will surely bleed to death. There are a few ways to get your fish back down to the bottom. You can use a Shelton Fish descender http://www.sheltonproducts.com/SFD1.pdf

Or if you have room you can rig up a milk crate with big weights attached at the corners and a rope tied to the middle. Use this as a descending cage. once the fish reached a place where they can swim down and out of the cage they will. This rig takes up a bit more deck space so if that is at a premium you might want to tie an SFD into your line.

Also if you know your fish anatomy you can pierce the swim bladder (which will heal) if you insert a sterile sharp needle behind the pectoral fin. Just dont miss or you could hit the heart.

fish_lips
05-11-2007, 06:32 AM
Just signed up for the June 5th trip sounds fun.

fish_lips
05-11-2007, 06:35 AM
In the study they did over the last two years when the release fish that arent decompressioned and float on the surface the boat goes away and they write the fish off as a mortality and over 50% of those fish were caught again with the tags in them! So not all of the fish die!

FF_MYRL
05-11-2007, 01:20 PM
And the fish that do die, just feed the other fish and make them bigger for next time I go fishin.

Yaker
09-07-2007, 06:05 AM
In the study they did over the last two years when the release fish that arent decompressioned and float on the surface the boat goes away and they write the fish off as a mortality and over 50% of those fish were caught again with the tags in them! So not all of the fish die!

I recently corresponded with a marine biologist from UCSB who had investigated this study. Surprisingly, it is true that for the rockfish species involved in the study ~40% survived for at least 24 hours.

Never, ever puncture the organ that comes out of a decompressed fish's mouth. This is the stomach being forced out by the decompression.

LookInTheWaterSon
09-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Going out with Kristen on Monday! Anyone else going? Last time we caught a ton of rockfish and a few lings but we stopped early because on of her assistants burried a hook in his thumb and had to go to the hostpital. Only seven people on the last trip, felt like a private six pack. Also because it's for research the normal DFG rules don't apply. You can fish as many hooks as you want, one dude had an ancient four hook rig and pulled it up full a couple of times. Kept the tagging crew busy! Hopefully we'll pull up a thousand this weekend! ;)

żżż
09-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Sent an email out to them to see if there's still room. It might just work out as I may not have 'work' on Monday.

fish_junky
09-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Fishin Rod, sent you a PM.