PDA

View Full Version : 2 keep or not 2 keep that is the ?

Swimbaitjunkie
01-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Was just wondering do any sturgeon fisherman or woman keep their eel after a full day of fishing?? I was told an oldtimer to just throw it in the same bag with all the juices(blood) and add a little bit of pro-cure to it....i'm asking this b cause eel's not cheap 10-12 bucks for small n 40 for large....

bassmaster87
01-30-2011, 02:04 AM
That's what i was told too so you should just keep it even after a whole days use. But ey where you get them 40 dollar eels at. I heard they work better than the 10-12 dollar ones but i heard most bait shops don't carry them anymore because people don't really buy them due to it's priceyness.

FishWisher
01-30-2011, 05:17 AM
Heck yes! Keep 'em - I've used the same eel many times. That's why God gave us freezers.

Bigg A
01-30-2011, 07:28 AM
That's what i was told too so you should just keep it even after a whole days use. But ey where you get them 40 dollar eels ta. I heard they work better than the 10-12 dollar ones but i heard most bait shops don't carry them anymore because people don't really buy them due to it's priceyness.

I got one(large) from elkhorn bait and tackle.....last one they had but I didn't pay $40 for it :winkfs:

Bigg A
01-30-2011, 07:44 AM
Was just wondering do any sturgeon fisherman or woman keep their eel after a full day of fishing??

Hell no!!!!.....Just let me know the next time you plan on going out and I'll get rid of that eel for ya when your done fishing...lol!!! Eel is a hard bait to beat for sturgeon...stays on hook, fish like it, and its reusable. I like the fact of not having to stop by a baitshop everytime to go fishing.

Swimbaitjunkie
01-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Thanx for the heads up guys...kind thought that the oldtimer was telling me fishing mumbo jumbo...

sPooOOk
01-30-2011, 09:12 AM
I don't know about that. To me a fresh piece every trip seems to tip the odds for me. But the old recycle piece that i try like everyone else said doesn't do me justice. Seems to make the blood and the unuse piece smell sour. Might just be me.

FishWisher
01-30-2011, 09:42 AM
...i heard most bait shops don't carry them anymore because people don't really buy them due to it's priceyness.

I used to spend big bucks on all the various shrimps, pile worms, etc, etc, and it would likely add up to more than twice what I pay for eel because with eel the $%#@&!! nipping stripers aren't stealing my bait all day long! :thumbsup:

Eel, big or small, when figuring the cost of bait per day fished, is by far the cheapest sturgeon bait available, in my opinion. And when you'd rather be drinking a cold one than reeling in to replace the stolen bait, about the only reason you have to check eel is if there's grass flowing in the river. You never have to replace it because the dang nippers stole it!

Bigg A
01-30-2011, 09:48 AM
I used to spend big bucks on all the various shrimps, pile worms, etc, etc, and it would likely add up to more than twice what I pay for eel because with eel the $%#@&!! nipping stripers aren't stealing my bait all day long! :thumbsup:

Eel, big or small, when figuring the cost of bait per day fished, is by far the cheapest sturgeon bait available, in my opinion. And when you'd rather be drinking a cold one than reeling in to replace the stolen bait, about the only reason you have to check eel is if there's grass flowing in the river. You never have to replace it because the dang nippers stole it!

+1.........:beer:

BettrLUCKYthanGOOD
01-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Was just wondering do any sturgeon fisherman or woman keep their eel after a full day of fishing?? I was told an oldtimer to just throw it in the same bag with all the juices(blood) and add a little bit of pro-cure to it....i'm asking this b cause eel's not cheap 10-12 bucks for small n 40 for large....

I get my eels @ 8 dollars each for medium sized, I bought em 3 months ago still working off of the same 2 eels.

Swimbaitjunkie
01-30-2011, 02:30 PM
I get my eels @ 8 dollars each for medium sized, I bought em 3 months ago still working off of the same 2 eels.

where R U gettin your EEL's from....8bucks a pop i'll buy bout 6 EEL's....I used to catch my own, but due to lack of rain 2/3 years back my favorite spot is empty...I know they spawn during the spring but i'm not gettin in the cold water

bassmaster87
01-30-2011, 02:46 PM
I was wondering if those eels in them jars are worth a try. They look good to use. Any thoughts sniiffers?

Swimbaitjunkie
01-30-2011, 06:30 PM
not too sure bout EEL in a jar... If it's cheaper than frozen i'll try it...I was always told that fresh is better...can't get fresher than live EEL but frozen will do...

*Deltadog*
02-04-2011, 05:59 AM
where R U gettin your EEL's from....8bucks a pop i'll buy bout 6 EEL's....I used to catch my own, but due to lack of rain 2/3 years back my favorite spot is empty...I know they spawn during the spring but i'm not gettin in the cold water
My Dad tells me that in the late spring/early summer, small streams and such start drying up and the spawned eels congragate in small pools and dig into the mud. He used to dig down into the gravel in these pools with a shovel and get em by the bucketload. The Consumnes might be good at a certain point. He used to get em in Butte Creek up in Chico.

Seon
02-04-2011, 06:58 AM
Rather than waiting for days, weeks, months for that one elusive Dino hit on eel, I wanted to increase my chances so in doing so I've been fishing with eel on one rod and using grass/ghost shrimp on the other.

To date, not one hit with the eel but nailed that 70"-er and a host of keeper size Stripers on the other....go figure :undecided: .

Fishbucket
02-04-2011, 10:28 AM
That's why God gave us freezers.

Speaking of Freezers... have ya'll seen THIS ! (http://www.fishsniffer.com/gear-tackle-classified-ads/87051-countertop-bait-freezer.html) :goodidea4gq: