PDA

View Full Version : WHere are these Fish at??? (Sturgeon)

GoNeCaTchin
01-30-2011, 08:37 PM
I went out in the last 2 weeks to: Lisbon ,Freeport bridge, and Deep water channel and no luck at all. I even used every combo of bait.....AAGHHH!!! any word where they are at ????

BASSAHOLIC916
01-30-2011, 09:04 PM
You just need to learn hoe to fish ..... Hahaha you shoulda went with us and tried

C-Weed
01-30-2011, 09:15 PM
You just need to learn hoe to fish ..... Hahaha you shoulda went with us and triedOhhhh ouch! Don't feel bad Blink, most folks on the bank are feelin your pain. There are still some good months ahead, while it gets expensive try to pick good days to go...anyways...speaking for myself, I realize there is a lot to know about tides and conditions that I have yet to learn. Guys like us could use a little LUCK, eh!? it happens if ya hang in there. Did you read that thread about "how long did you fish before you got your first one?"
Maybe you already got you first one, but you know what i'm sayin.

BASSAHOLIC916
01-30-2011, 09:30 PM
c weed .... blink has bad luck lol we've been fishing a lot and he barley got his first lagal striper lol but were gonna keep on trying till we get a keeper .. i was at lisbon earlier an some guys down the way had on something on their line cause the other guy ran an reeled in the other poles halla fast..... but it seemed like he lost it ...

*Deltadog*
01-31-2011, 12:53 AM
I went out in the last 2 weeks to: Lisbon ,Freeport bridge, and Deep water channel and no luck at all. I even used every combo of bait.....AAGHHH!!! any word where they are at ????
The answer to your dilema is worded in your post. Find a spot and fish it faithfully. Its the only way to narrow down your window of opportunity. Flipping here and there will not necessarily result in fish caught (my $.02). Find a spot you know fish inhabit, and hit it until it produces.
PS....The hayday at Hood should be hitting its apex in the months to come. Try hitting that handful of spots along the east bank just upriver from Hood. They have always produced for me between Feb. and April. There are also a lot of good spots between Walnut Grove and the Courtland Bridge.

C-Weed
01-31-2011, 08:46 AM
c weed .... blink has bad luck lol we've been fishing a lot and he barley got his first lagal striper lol but were gonna keep on trying till we get a keeper .. i was at lisbon earlier an some guys down the way had on something on their line cause the other guy ran an reeled in the other poles halla fast..... but it seemed like he lost it ...
Well, I guess you gotta teach him the ways of the sturgeon master then eh!?:yoda23uk:Or get him a rabbit's foot!

bassmaster87
01-31-2011, 11:34 AM
My good buddy from romeo's baitshop called me earlier and said people are bashing them from Hood-clarksburg. So you should give it a try around those areas. He said some guys caught 4 in 2 days. I think the sturgeons are coming in thick right about now.

Seon
01-31-2011, 04:27 PM
... Find a spot you know fish inhabit, and hit it until it produces...

+1 :thumbsup:

The fact of the matter is no one really know where they're at. We as creature of habit will go back to a particular spot where we've caught fish in the past. After a period of time, we establish a number of spots where we've caught fish...thus "the honey holes" .

So unless a fellow sniffer wants to share their "honey hole", it's up the individual to log in time to find their own honey hole. Plain and simple.

The best source in getting a general area of where fish has been caught are the bait shops in that particular area.

Another source is to attend the free seminars that Fisherman's Warehouse offers where the speaker is a local Capt or a very knowledgeable fisherman on a particular specie fish.

Yet another source for those who are fortunate enough to fish on a charter, bring a hand held GPS then mark the location where fish has been caught by you or others on the boat.

Now as to what gear to use, how and when to set the hook, bait to use, etc, ... I'm confident that most everyone here will chime in on their preferences.

Good luck and tight lines.

sPooOOk
01-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Patience patience young grasshopper. Thats all you need to become sucessful to catching them.:oldangryman:

GoNeCaTchin
01-31-2011, 09:34 PM
Thanks guys, for your input. Don't listen to bassaholics, cuz he hasn't been allowed to fish for 5 months until last week. Momma said so....LOL Also , he hasn't caught not a dam fish in months....ouuuuch!!!!! GOTTCHA Lil Brother

shakintip
01-31-2011, 09:56 PM
My good buddy from romeo's baitshop called me earlier and said people are bashing them from Hood-clarksburg. So you should give it a try around those areas. He said some guys caught 4 in 2 days. I think the sturgeons are coming in thick right about now.

Don;t know about that, but I haven't seen one caught or my friends and us have not caught any at all. three days straight with nothing.

bassmaster87
01-31-2011, 11:18 PM
Well i haven't been out there in a month so i don't really know. But my buddy that works at romeo's said people been coming to the shop with keepers.

fusionstar916
02-02-2011, 12:29 AM
The answer to your dilema is worded in your post. Find a spot and fish it faithfully. Its the only way to narrow down your window of opportunity. Flipping here and there will not necessarily result in fish caught (my $.02). Find a spot you know fish inhabit, and hit it until it produces.
PS....The hayday at Hood should be hitting its apex in the months to come. Try hitting that handful of spots along the east bank just upriver from Hood. They have always produced for me between Feb. and April. There are also a lot of good spots between Walnut Grove and the Courtland Bridge.

Don't want to be buzz killington but that area is closed. When you leave the orchards and make that left to courtland, there's a giant sign there. This applies ALL the way to walnut grove and along Isleton road. I caught my biggest right before the courtland bridge..

*Deltadog*
02-02-2011, 07:08 AM
Don't want to be buzz killington but that area is closed. When you leave the orchards and make that left to courtland, there's a giant sign there. This applies ALL the way to walnut grove and along Isleton road. I caught my biggest right before the courtland bridge..
There have always been signs, but there are spots that nonetheless are fished. Anywhere in Yolo county is a definite no-go. Parking is the big issue. I've been fishing that stretch of river from Hood to Isleton for years. You just need to know where you can and cant fish.

JayandhisStrawHAT
02-02-2011, 09:20 AM
HoodFranklin is the place to be, in 3 weeks seen 5 fish caught, handful of hookups... Buddy of mines lost one last nigh, size 10 is holding fine by the way

unisoul86
02-07-2011, 01:21 PM
caught one on the 27 of jan over by hood then these couple of days has been slow. my buddies have also caught some too. but like i said it seems to slow down for some reason

*Deltadog*
02-08-2011, 02:49 AM
caught one on the 27 of jan over by hood then these couple of days has been slow. my buddies have also caught some too. but like i said it seems to slow down for some reason
The fish move in pods....

SF21
02-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Where the heck is hoodfranklin? i have been hearing reports from this place.

GoNeCaTchin
02-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Its on I-5 . get off the freeport/pocket exit and turn right at the first light..... go down past the freeport bridge and you will run into it