PDA

View Full Version : Alviso Slough

Striper72
02-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Has anyone launched out or Alviso with the new ramp? How long does it take to motor thru the slough to get to open water? Also, what is the risk of getting stuck in the mud with a 20' boat with an outboard?
Any help or advice would be great.
Striper72

Midnight Krawler
02-01-2011, 02:06 PM
I haven't launched there yet, so I can't comment on the slough out to the bay. But, launching a big boat should be no problem at anytime but low tide. Here is a couple of pics of the ramp at low tide.

dannieboiz
02-01-2011, 05:56 PM
we launched there many times last month. There are definitely shallow areas but I've seen larger boats go out of there so u'll be ok. We were on an 18ft i/o in - tides on some days.

The key is to watch ahead of you on the left and right, when you see a beach area on one side stay go on the opposite you'll be going zig zag for the most part.

If you don't have a GPS you gotta remember land marks cause on the way in you can easily miss your slough to the ramp.

The ride out of the slough is maybe 10 minutes (were were doing 25knts) you're not safe once you get out in the open because you got a lot of drops there and if you're not careful you can get stuck right in the middle. Use your GPS ride out slowly and if you went out safely on low tide follow your exact tracks back in. Also follow the buoys around you, there are also little white sticks that floats up in the middle of the water if you see it leaning to one side stay clear of that area.

once you get out of the slough make a sharp left you'll go under some power lines, look for a RED buoy 45 degrees left head toward that you should be safe. There's nothing out there though last month that place was on fire.

dreamer2101
02-01-2011, 11:15 PM
has anyone launch outta san leandro marina to get there ???? is it safer ??? o live only 10 minutes away fr there....

LOVETOFISH
02-02-2011, 08:01 AM
I would also add that there is a gate to the marina that opens at 8 and closes at 5.

Outside those hours you need to buy a seasonal electronic key pass for $50 if you want access.

Use of the launch ramp is free.

dannieboiz
02-04-2011, 07:22 AM
I would also add that there is a gate to the marina that opens at 8 and closes at 5.

Outside those hours you need to buy a seasonal electronic key pass for $50 if you want access.

Use of the launch ramp is free.

The gate hour is sunset to sundown but the exit gate remains open in case you get in a little late.

HawaiianHooker
02-04-2011, 10:12 AM
The gate hour is sunset to sundown but the exit gate remains open in case you get in a little late.

When I was there two weeks ago, we could not get in till 8am, When we tried to get out after 5pm, the gate was closed as well. Several of us had to wait for about 20 minutes before they came and let us out.

They basically want you to pay to play and buy the gate key for $50.

dannieboiz
02-04-2011, 10:15 AM
When I was there two weeks ago, we could not get in till 8am, When we tried to get out after 5pm, the gate was closed as well. Several of us had to wait for about 20 minutes before they came and let us out.

They basically want you to pay to play and buy the gate key for $50.

LOL they really want their 50 bucks now. Since it's so close to home, I've never launched out of there too early. always got there after 8 but we came in many times after 5 and even hung around chatting with other fishermen and still saw cars coming in and out.

That 50 bucks is probably not worth it since that area is only good for maybe 2 months out of the year unless you really like sharks. :P