PDA

View Full Version : New trout rod ????????????

fishingking
02-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Well I just got my tax return and am in the market for a new trout rod. I would like to spend between 100 to 125 bucks. I am looking for a new spinning rod. Any suggestion?:bartsimpson:

Marinpaul
02-05-2011, 10:22 AM
My favorite is the St. Croix Avid series. I use the 6'6" light action, but they also have shorter/ultralight rods as well.

You can get them for $109 - $129 at Gander Mountain after a $20 off coupon (gm1wl25), shipping direct from the manufacturer included.

Take a look at Gander Mountain® > St. Croix Avid Series Spinning Rod - Fishing > Rods > Spinning Rods : (http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=410611&pdesc=St_Croix_Avid_Series_Spinning_Rod&aID=504AB1&merchID=4006).

Enjoy your new rod whatever you decide to get!

All the best,

Paul

Biggamebass
02-05-2011, 10:35 AM
If your fishing for stocked dfg trout id would go with a 6 foot ultra light or light powered rod. Basically any rod can catch those small stocked trout. But with information given i dont know if you plan on using lures or just bait or if your fishing from a boat or shore. Really would help if we got more info:shocked:.

MarkdaShark19
02-05-2011, 11:23 AM
I personally like a light or some ultralight rod. 7ft, 6'6" at the very shortest (personal perference). I buy Shakespear rods Micro light or Agility both are great, they are only like 20 or 30 dollar rods though. I know Shimano makes a nice rod. Look for some form of ultalight from them for some better quality and I think you'll be happy with you purchase. I think they run somewhere between 100-150$. Good luck hope you like what you buy.

panther
02-05-2011, 05:37 PM
My best rod is a St. Croix Avid, but it costs about $180. I trust the St. Croix brand, so in your price range I would consider looking at the St. Croix Premier series. Just Google it, it's easy to find.

Panther

cowboyup03
02-05-2011, 07:41 PM
if your looking for a rod that will throw small and up to 3/4 ounce baits i would go with the okuma sst kokanee rod i love it its perfect lenth and action for trout and rated for 10 lb line and 3/4 ounce baits. plus this saves you money to buy lures and maybe new reel plus line

nploojlis
02-05-2011, 11:20 PM
If you want a nice quality trout rod, either for jigging 1/32 jigs up to 1/2 oz lures, i suggest a 8'0 ft ultra light "PHENIX" EXILER rod. PERIOD! GO check out their rods on their website. (Phenix Rods (http://www.phenixrods.com)) :vrolijk_26:

koauke
02-06-2011, 03:00 AM
I recently bought a 6'6" Ultra Light St. Croix Premier Series spinning rod with a Shimano Sahara 1000 reel.

Rod was $120, Reel $80.....decided to splurge a little :).

I am incredibly happy with it though. It's loads of fun. I upgraded from my 6'6" UL Ugly Stick Lite. There is a big difference between the two, the St. Croix is much more sensitive, but both work just fine.

S_L
02-06-2011, 05:19 AM
My best setup is Fenwick HMG (paired with TD Sol).
HMG in my world is a real good choice.
You might want to read that: Fenwick HMG Rod Review - Crankbait rod bass fishing lure GT66M (http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfenwickhmg.html)

SteelyDon
02-06-2011, 08:03 AM
It's all about what YOU like. I'm with Cowboy up, I got the Okuma for trolling in my boat which is excellent for Trout or Koke fishing. It will never have more than 8lb test on it and it is very nice. They have some nice casting poles too. Mine was only $59 at Sportsman's Warehouse Roseville. This thread could go on forever..... Get what you like SD

FishyMe
02-06-2011, 08:09 AM
i have a 6 ft light st croix triumph rod pair with a shimano sahara 1000 for sale. rod sells for $79 and reel sells for $79. it is the newer series of sahara. both less than a year old and still in good shape.. selling for $100. if you are interested..let me know... it handles trout great. its a nice little ultra light set up.

SuckerPunch
02-06-2011, 08:35 AM
I've two for your standard trout fishin': a Loomis 6' GL2 ultra-light, which is a kick-ass general purpose rod that really, really shines when fishing bait or float rigs; and a 4'6" Fenwick HMG ultra-light, which is a really good rod for bankin' it on streams where you're concerned about shadows and have to do battle with bank vegetation. The HMG does just fine in lakes, too, but its short length makes it tough to throw stuff with long leaders or to mend line in flowing water. I should also say that I might be the only person that has a preference for shorter rods, maybe 'cause I'm always brush-bashing and longer rods would get hung up way more often. Anyway, I think the Loomis cost me ~$135 and the Fenwick cost ~110. Both have Diawa SS Tournament 700 series reels on 'em, the best damn no-frills reels on the face of the planet.

fishingfan
02-07-2011, 09:50 PM
I recently bought a 6'6" Ultra Light St. Croix Premier Series spinning rod with a Shimano Sahara 1000 reel.

Rod was $120, Reel $80.....decided to splurge a little :).

I am incredibly happy with it though. It's loads of fun. I upgraded from my 6'6" UL Ugly Stick Lite. There is a big difference between the two, the St. Croix is much more sensitive, but both work just fine.

+1 on the 6'6" UL St. Croix Premier Series Rod. :worthy:

Mr. Limpet
02-08-2011, 01:25 PM
+1 on the 6'6" UL St. Croix Premier Series Rod. :worthy:
Add another one to St. Croix:cheers:
I just recently bought the 6'6" St. Croix Premier Series Rod ML 1-piece and a new Pflueger President XL spinning reel and love it. Rod feels good and performs well. Matching the right rod and reel is a must.

rc_king1
02-08-2011, 01:35 PM
I like the SST ultralight rods from Okuma. Great price and work great as well.

brillfish
02-19-2011, 10:41 PM
5'6'" Shimano Clarus with a Shimano Sahara 500 reel. Hard to beat for less than $150.

SuckerPunch
02-20-2011, 09:12 AM
I love St. Croix, but I should say that I broke three Avids. Each time they were abused (e.g., got kicked, fallen on), but I've had plenty of Loomis and Fenwick rods get way more abused and live to cast again.

FriedKalamari
02-20-2011, 04:41 PM
if u plan on throwing small lures i really like my 6'6" bassproshop ultralight glass rod. its only 20 bucks i think and has tons of whip to it. paired up with a micro reel and 2-4lb line u can really cast those tiny spinners and kastmasters a good distance.

panther
02-20-2011, 05:47 PM
SuckerPunch...I also use a 4'6" rod from time to time for specific purposes. There is a little creek that I love to fish. It's extremely overgrown with trees and bushes, but I am able to fish it with the short rod.

When I hike in to alpine lakes, I like to take two rods: my 7'0 ultra-light St. Croix, and my short rod. In places where the vegetation is really dense, I use the short rod...and have caught some nice and large brown trout on it. So, you are not alone in using these short rods.

Panther

tinytrout
02-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Here is an idea, Have Cabelas send you a Tackle Craft catalog, find the rod building kit to best suit your needs and build your own custom rod yourself. Catching that first fish on the rod you built from scratch is a great thrill.
Tiny

sPooOOk
02-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Get a Fenwick River Runner trout series rod. I believe it'll fit the amount you want to spend and it looks just as good as the G.Loomis Trout series.

TroutGhost
02-21-2011, 05:12 PM
I own the 6-6 Shimano Clarus Ultralight rod. It's a good rod, flings my stuff pretty far. They make a 7 foot version, too. The former is rated 2-6 lbs and the latter is rated to 8 lbs. Both can handle lure weights down to 1/32. IM 7 rod for under seventy bucks, pretty good deal for a dependable rod that won't end up in the garbage can at the lake.

The Cabelas Tourney Trail series of rods are pretty good too.