PDA

View Full Version : Did You Get Your Three Keepers Last Year?

Polebrother
02-05-2011, 11:26 AM
For those of you who had more success than me (I got one 64" keeper for 2010) please post and tell us rookies a little bit about how, when and where you got them. Not looking for any specific locations to burn...just general info to get a historical perspective on last year's sturgeon bite and the fairness/effectiveness of DFG's three fish annual limit. Because I've never caught more than one keeper sturgeon during any calendar year, the three fish limit is fair by me. However, I can only imagine that for some anglers sturgeon fishing ends early in the year because of their sturgeon fishing expertise and quick 3-fish limit. Note: I don't recall anyone posting here last year that they had caught their three-fish limit. Did I miss all of those posts?

macrosshn
02-05-2011, 03:18 PM
i only filled one tag last calender year.

this year, i've already filled one tag and released one oversized 110 pounder.

FishWisher
02-05-2011, 05:03 PM
I caught three keepers and three shakers. Not a big year and I released 'em all. Four were caught on Suisun and two near Rio Vista.

With the new C-Dory about ready to fish, and being able to fish overnight again, I'm hoping for a better year this year. Time, time, time on the water is my strategy.

Here's my Report Card (below). Any others want to post theirs? Hope y'all have sent yours in by now!

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/FishWisher/2010SturgeonReportCardpublish.jpg

*Deltadog*
02-05-2011, 11:26 PM
I filled one tag last year. I have never kept more than two fish in any year since tagging was law. Reasons being, I have never ran out of meat, and always like to be able and go fish for more legally.

Marty Gingras
02-06-2011, 07:05 AM
Hi all,

We should publish a report on 2010 Sturgeon Card data around June. Until then, here is a link to a report on 2009 Sturgeon Card data:

ftp://ftp.delta.dfg.ca.gov/Adult_Sturgeon_and_Striped_Bass/2009%20Sturgeon%20Card%20Complete%20Draft%20Versio n%201.pdf

Take care

Marty Gingras
Supervising Biologist (Fisheries)
California Department of Fish and Game
Bay Delta Region
4001 North Wilson Way
Stockton, California 95205

Phone (209) 948-3702
FAX (209) 946-6355
email mgingras@dfg.ca.gov

Polebrother
02-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks Marty, interesting reading. Still we can only speculate regarding the number of sturgeon caught that were not reported to DFG. I will be interesting to see the final numbers for this weekend's Super Bowl Sturgeon Derby, an event I've never entered.

9erhater
02-06-2011, 01:12 PM
I fish in the same way that dale does. I have not kept a sturgeon in over ten years, I let them all go so someone else gets a chance at it. I do very well and catch my share and then some. If someone im fishing with cares to keep theirs I dont give them a hard time.

Bigg A
02-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Landed 2 dino's last year.....lost alot due to snags. Let the 1st one go and tagged the 2nd one, after that I hung up the dino gear and grabbed the crappie stuff

doneli
02-06-2011, 10:24 PM
one keeper, one oversize, and one undersize....just tried six times, not bad.for a beginner.