PDA

View Full Version : Planted trout question?

crazyfisher
02-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Hi everyone. I was just curious on what the census is with planted trout when first released into a lake. Do they need some time to start bitting? or do you have to wait a few days for them to get used to the lake before they become aggressive and start bitting?

The reason why I ask is the other day, i went fishing and saw the dfg just finished planting. I saw trout breaking water all day however couldn't get them to bite on anything I throw at them.

Let me know your input on this. thank you

SuckerPunch
02-06-2011, 08:23 AM
In my experience, hatchery fish are ready to feed a few hours after planting. I think they're doped up with something so they don't stress out too much from the planting operation, and it takes a little time for that drug to wear off. However, I wouldn't take that as a given - I just remember hearing that from someone a long time ago. Anyway, those fish will get real finicky if there's a crowd plopping lures/bait on top of their heads - in that situation, take a look at what other people are throwing and try to find the exact opposite. For instance, if people are throwing 1/8-oz Roostertails in white or yellow, chuck a frog-patttern, tiny Super Duper. If most people are throwing PowerBait on sliding-sinker rigs, use a float setup with a mealworm. Also, if the water's clear, you have to use small, small line - if using mono, go with 2 lbs. There is a difference in the number of strikes, even between 4- and 2-lbs line. Moreover, and I can't say this enough with lures, go slow - if using spinners, you just want that blade barely moving; if using a mini-jig under a float, you just want to crawl that thing in. One trick with floating bait on sliding-sinker rigs is to move it occasionally - let it sit for a few minutes, then just move it a foot or two. Oftentimes, that little bit of movement is just enough to provoke a trout to strike.

cowboyup03
02-06-2011, 08:46 AM
i fish a small pond that gets planted and it only takes 30 min for the fish to calm down as i say but every body of water is different.

ot
02-06-2011, 08:49 AM
I have caught planted fish just an hour after being planted by DFG at San Pablo Resevoir. I caught them on rooster tails. Its like anything time fishing, sometimes they bite and sometimes they dont. They do look and act like they are on drugs since many swim side ways and in circles when they come off the truck. The only thing is that the meat tastes really soft and not firm like trout that have been in the lake for a while. They all tasted that way.

shadbuster
02-06-2011, 11:56 AM
It usually only takes a little while for them to start biting, these fish are tough and used to stress from overcrowding and handling all their life and because of that overcrowding they have been programed to eat anything as fast as possible that looks edible before the next guy does.

fishingfreak
02-06-2011, 02:21 PM
when fishing the trout derby at rancho seco the fish are so stupid you see them planting them and right away they were eating what ever bait was in the water

crazyfisher
02-07-2011, 02:35 AM
interesting information guys...thank you.

I guess the fish that were jumping were holdover trout or something as they were not bitting anything we toss out there. We had 6 pole (3 people) and used pretty much everything.

I don't feel too bad as we didn't see any other people catching fish either. It must be the nice weather that threw them off. Oh well. Thanks again for the information :)

stpritch
02-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Opening weekend at Pardee (and following weeks). They eat as soon as planted and it's a feeding frenzy!

Mr. Limpet
02-09-2011, 09:55 AM
I have caught planted fish just an hour after being planted by DFG at San Pablo Resevoir. I caught them on rooster tails. Its like anything time fishing, sometimes they bite and sometimes they dont. They do look and act like they are on drugs since many swim side ways and in circles when they come off the truck. The only thing is that the meat tastes really soft and not firm like trout that have been in the lake for a while. They all tasted that way.

Not sure if they are on drugs, my guess is that fish are similar to humans. After a traumatic incident or suffering head trauma some people or fish lose their sense of balance because their vestibule apparatus is off. i.e. equilibrium is off. That is why sometimes when you C&R a fish you may see them swim upside down, in circles or swim right back to shore. They are in such a dizzy state they don't know which way is up. I would venture to say getting hooked and dragged to shore would be pretty traumatic same as riding in the back of a truck for sloshing around for several hundred miles and then getting shot out of a tube to a new lake. Just my 2 cents. If their any fish biologists out there would love to hear their opinions. Capt. Nemo you out there?

gatorbait
02-09-2011, 02:45 PM
My .02.. If them temps in the hatchery/release truck match them surface temps in that lake than they most likely feed right away. If them temps are different than they will go into shock and possibly take sometime to adjust.

crazyfisher
02-09-2011, 04:26 PM
alot of interesting information :) keep it coming. Everyone has some good points.

The weather probably did play a factor as it was really hot for Feb last week. mid to high 70s :shocked: whereas a few weeks prior it was in the low 50s.

Legalbeagle
02-09-2011, 04:26 PM
The next time you get a few stockers and take em home, save the roe if there is any. Freshly stocked trout will get lure and bait shy when everyone's throwing the same thing. A little trout roe under a bobber will likely start a competitive instinct, even if the fish aren't hungry. That could be the edge you're looking for. I hear they actually sell the stuff as bait at the trout pond at Apple Hill. Those fish don't seem to bite much else because everything's been thrown at them.

crazyfisher
02-09-2011, 04:52 PM
thnx for the advise Legalbeagle, i am going to try and get some eggs and prepare some egg sack before I go on my next outting or have it in my bag just in case everything else is not working. :)

smurf358
02-09-2011, 11:17 PM
where was this plant? the ponds I i go to when they plant bites rite away doesnt matter wat temp water is or weather is...my lures of choice r kastmaster(gold), super duper(gold) sometimes with a casting bubble n berkley power worms(green,bubblegum,orange,brown) with a float or off the bottom.

corkscrew
02-10-2011, 10:24 PM
If they seem to be a bit pickey try the ol' fly and a bubble. I prefer about 6-10 feet between the bubble and the fly.