PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to get outside of Tomales Bay??

littledude
02-11-2011, 06:27 AM
I was planning a couple trips this year out of Dillon Beach for crabs and salmon, if we get a salmon season. I have heard horror stories about "The Bar" and was wondering if they were true? What is the best way to get out and around the point? Also I have a 19' crestliner that Ihave splashed in SF bay many times and was wondering if it would be safe to venture around the point in? Any help would be greatly appericated.

Thanks
Littledude

bigeasy8240
02-11-2011, 09:08 AM
yep, I do it in a 18 Bayrunner! :mat:

FishnBeer
02-11-2011, 06:23 PM
ive heard many bad stories about the bar crossing there. from what i understand timing is everything. and its not always getting out thats the hard part, its getting back in.

my uncle told me the story of when him and my dad and some freinds went out there, and the waves were breaking when they had to head back in. they didnt really have a choice, they had to come in or spend the night on the ocean with no lights in his 18 ft cobalt. he timed it up and shot the gap between the waves, one guy was on the bow yellin "SLOW DOWN SLOW DOWN" and the guy on the back of the boat was yelling "SPEED UP SPEED UP" they ended up goin through a shallow spot and the prop was flingin mud 10 feet in the air.

so if you go out there and see a big gash carved in the mud youll know where thats from. . .

Fishmeister
02-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Bodega is only 5 miles from the mouth by water, why not lauch there? Great, safe harbor.

Fishbutt21
02-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Bodega is only 5 miles from the mouth by water, why not lauch there? Great, safe harbor.
Very true statement, The mouth of Tomales bay can be very nice on some days but very bad later on the same day and if you only have one day to fish it is not worth taking the bet on getting out of tomales when you can safely fish from bodega

littledude
02-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Hm. didn't know Bodega was that close. Might think about that option too.

Thanks for all the info fellas.

Littledude

redsok
02-14-2011, 09:29 PM
if i was you i would launch from westside in bodega. Safer to drive a few miles and be safe than to save a few bucks in gas and worry about getting in all day. if you stay in tomales bay to fish, i would launch out of dillons any day... almost

Go_Fish
02-18-2011, 11:32 AM
My rule is that I only leave out of Tomales Bay from the 4th of July to Labor Day but you still have to know that bar and what swell direction and tides make it break. West Side is the best bet to launch at for salmon.
Just my 2 cents

littledude
02-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Well I guess the "bar" horror stories r true. Might just stay in bay for that trip. Wanted to get some bottom fish but don't want to push my luck unless it is like glass. Thanks for all the good advise fellas.

littledude

damkid85
02-21-2011, 09:56 PM
when passing the sand bar stay to the left side of the channle when headed out. It's a little deeper.

Full Monte
02-22-2011, 05:14 AM
Every once in awhile, one hears a story about rogue waves up there that have capsized 50 foot party boats. I filled my motor with mud one time going out of Dillon Beach and had to be towed back to shore. I learned that I need some local knowledge before attempting it again.