PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Pyramid

Barleycorn
02-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Hey gang! I've heard toooo much good stuff about Pyramid and I have to try an get my father a nice cutthroat this year. At any rate, just want to pick the brains of you trollers if at all possible. I understand some will keep secrets, and I completely get it, but those that wish to engage in the conversation, are awesome for doing so. -LOL Just curious what's the best hardware to troll and how far back from the downrigger weight to troll? Troll speed? I've heard a Flatfish/Croc/Lyman in frog is a killer,hey? I run 6# P-line CXX on all my rods and have heard you need heavier leaders?? Oh well I'm ramblin on! I have a 15ft Klamath and will be watching the weather, but I've never fished the lake and would love to hear some of your feedback. I'll also contact Crosby Lodge at some point. Any info is greatly appreciated out there. Thanks!!

dr.fish
02-13-2011, 07:24 AM
Yes to those lures and I run 8lb CXX. I have also caught many on 3/4 oz spoons and Apex lures. Speed depends on the lure, slower for flatfish, faster for spoons and Apex. I fish anywhere from toplining to 35 feet down, depending on conditions. Have caught many large fish toplining spoons in 8-10 feet of water. I like to find the drop off and follow that contour. Good luck!

Jetspray
02-13-2011, 07:44 AM
The thing about fishing deep at Pyramid (below 40 ft) is that if you are not equiped to release the LCT's at that depth most likely they will die. Most of my DR fishing is done above 30 feet usually at 18 feet in 180 feet of water to the shoreline. With the boat of the size you are using I would fish in close on any windy day. Many boats get swamped at Pyramid if the wind comes up quickly and it does on occasion. See you at the Pyramid fest in April?........Jetspray

Barleycorn
02-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Good stuff you guys! Hopefully be up there in March and April, just before live bait starts down in the bay, perfect timing.

Miner_Moe
02-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Make sure you stay away from the yellow Intruder jet boat that is always on Pyramid,,,I have trolled thousands of hours on a lot of lakes and I have NEVER come across a Bigger @$$ on the water. this guy was just out of control this weekend, cutting less than 30 feet behind our boat more than once!(Really! less than 2 boat lenghts)One time he ran over our line when we had a fish on and snaped us off and it was all I could do to control my 3 friends from walking on water and strangling the @$$.Another time we watched him almost run over a guy in a kayack then flip him and another boat off when they yelled in protest of his NON boating skills...If the DONKEY reads this post,PLEASE find me, I'm Scott Bartosh Miner Moes Guide service and I would really like a word or two with you!! and I'm on Pyramid all the time

Barleycorn
02-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Make sure you stay away from the yellow Intruder jet boat that is always on Pyramid,,,I have trolled thousands of hours on a lot of lakes and I have NEVER come across a Bigger @$$ on the water. this guy was just out of control this weekend, cutting less than 30 feet behind our boat more than once!(Really! less than 2 boat lenghts)One time he ran over our line when we had a fish on and snaped us off and it was all I could do to control my 3 friends from walking on water and strangling the @$$.Another time we watched him almost run over a guy in a kayack then flip him and another boat off when they yelled in protest of his NON boating skills...If the DONKEY reads this post,PLEASE find me, I'm Scott Bartosh Miner Moes Guide service and I would really like a word or two with you!! and I'm on Pyramid all the time
Hey Scott, About as bad as a guy anchoring on your bow while fishing for those diamondbacks,hey. It still doesnt amaze me how many knuckleheads dont know "common" boating/trolling ethics out there. I made the mistake of trying to troll at Pinecrest one year and after about 10 mins we just brought the rental back in and called it a day. You'll always have some that ruin it for everyone else unfortunately. Next time just throw the guy a rope and he can tie up next to you,hahaha! Jim Smith used to just follow the guy(s) around in a circle once we saw them following us and sometimes the boat would do 2-3 circles before they realized we were playing with them. Good stuff Scott!

Jetspray
02-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Miner-Moe sorry that happened to you. I would have dropped the DR line low and cut his stern in return. Always speed up as your cross that way the line cuts clean. You can contact the rangers out there too (mostly on the weekends) they like to arrest drunks, saw alot of that in Oct at the opener......Jetspray