PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid bank fishing help pretty please :)

RideNfish
02-13-2011, 03:59 PM
I am going to be in Reno for a show next weekend and want to see if I can sneak in a few hours of fishing this lake I keep reading so much about. I would be there on Sunday Feb 20. I have read up on some of the threads until my head is spinning and wonder if some of you nice folks could help me out to increase my chances on a 5 hour visit or so (I live in central CA so don't get that way).

Here are some of my questions and sorry if this is repetitive:

I just have a 6' 6" spinning rod rated to oz. and 6-14 lb line. Is this enough for casting far enough? I am very used to light tackle fishing so no problem finessing fish as long as I can cast far enough.

I just want to pick up about three lures without having to do hook changes and the like. Could you recommend a few that would be best on average? I know I have seem some crazy "Pyramid tackle boxes" but I am on a budget :)

Is the Block house area a good place for me to try since I am not wading into the water to cast? I centered this map on a point (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&q=29555+Pyramid+Hwy+Sutcliffe,+Nv&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=29555+Pyramid+Hwy,+Sutcliffe,+Washoe,+Nevada +89510&gl=us&ll=39.875632,-119.491835&spn=0.001544,0.003484&t=h&z=19) (zoom out to see where I am). Could anyone recenter the best place and email back to me? Once you get the map centered on the spot click on "links" on the map and you can send exactly what you see.

Weather permitting can I drive my car down there?

How about a tackle shop that I can by my permit and tackle the day before at in Reno? I am going to be at the Fitzgerald so hopefully something on that side of town. I will call Mark Fore and Strike to see if they have the permits on Monday (Closed on Sunday).

And any advice you could give. I would be honored to be lucky enough to meet some of you there if it worked out. I won't know for sure that I am going until a day or two before. Mostly weather is the factor.

Thank you soooo much!:biggrin:

Captain Compassion
02-13-2011, 06:24 PM
A quick course in Pyramid Shore.

A 6' 6" pole is ok. 6# test line minimum.

Lures.
1. 3/4 oz spoons. White with Red dots, Frog
2. 1/2 oz Kastmaster in Frog
3. 1/2 oz Krocodile in gold perch or any pattern with red or green.
4. 1/4 oz Marabou jig. Black or White.
5. Olive or black Woolly Bugger behind 3 feet behind a 1/4 oz bananna weight.

Spoons, Kastmaster and Krocks cast out as far as you can let them sink to the bottom and being in at medium speed lifting the rod tip and letting it sink to the bottom from time to time. Let the jigs sink to the bottom and bring in short hops off the bottom. Woolly Buggers you creep across the botom with short stops. Fish all lures right to the shore. Sometimes these fish will hit it right at your feet. On the highway between Reno and the lake just after you enter the reservation there is a store on your left. You can get your lures and permits here. Make sure you crimp down your barbs and follow the regs.

Block House is a very good place for your first shore experience. The dropoff is steep and the bottom mostly sand. Fish from the dirt berm north around the point. You can get down there with a car but stay out of the soft stuff. Dress warm, pray for good weather and good luck.

CC

Barleycorn
02-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Good info CC!! Good luck!

dr.fish
02-14-2011, 08:20 AM
CC nailed it as usual. If it is really cold, some firewood is a nice comfort to warm the hands!

RideNfish
02-14-2011, 09:07 AM
A quick course in Pyramid Shore.CC

Thank you sooooo much Captain. I hope I can get out there weather permitting. :cold: Hopefully I will know if I can make it by Thursday or Friday. I will try to let everyone know that I'm committing so I may be so lucky as to run into some of you fine folks :thumbsup:

Cheers, :cheers:

Oh, and I won't be riding the motorcycle! So I guess I will be "driveNfish" instead. :rotfl2:

RideNfish
02-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Does using snap swivels for switching lures quickly take away from the effectiveness of the lure?

I'm still going to try to make it early Sunday morning to Block House. May only be 20 degrees out but I gotta try. :)

Miner_Moe
02-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Does using snap swivels for switching lures quickly take away from the effectiveness of the lure?

A simple loop knot only takes about 30 seconds to tie.....I feel a swivel will take away a little of a spoons action but flatfish,lymans and Draggins have so much action that it should not matter as much...But again a simple loop knot,I feel is the way to go..

Jetspray
02-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Swivels usually affect lure action, they are good while trolling, but for shore action the lure moves when you reel in or lift the rod. The biggest thing is to make sure you let your presentation go to the bottom first, most guys wait a long time for this to happen believe me on this. As CC said make sure your drawback is close to the bottom and as slow as you can go with interruptions along the way (jerking action). Hopping the bottom is very productive. Good Luck out there......Jetspray

Jetspray
02-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Don't forget the Pyramid Fest April 8th, 9th, and the Ken Hembree Classic in March.......Jetspray

SuckerPunch
02-21-2011, 08:33 AM

I'm still going to try to make it early Sunday morning to Block House. May only be 20 degrees out but I gotta try. :)

I never use snap-swivels with my lures (they affect the action, usually by muting it), but I'll frequently remove split-rings and use a snap in their place. My favorite snap right now is an Owner Snagless Snap - I use this snap for all of my plugs (e.g., Pointers), too. Some lures - big Kroc's, for example - move best with a small snap and the welded ring that comes with the lure. Be careful if you swap out hooks/split-rings - even just a slight change in hook/split-ring weight, shape, or design can drastically affect a lure's action. I test all my lures in a pool or at the nearby creek before going out, just to make sure that they're all running true - nothing worse than showing up to a waterbody, making your first cast, and then having the lure do nothing/something weird on the retrieve.

Though I've never fished Pyramid (though, when I do, and if I hook up, I'll have to send CC a thank-you letter), I have fished spoons for many trout species in all types of environments and can offer this - you'll probably catch more if you fish them spoons S-L-O-W.