PDA

View Full Version : 2/13/11 monti

jimhill
02-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Well started off to be one of those days where u wonder if you should of got outta bed or not.Left the house at 700 for the bait shop,no piles call rio vista and they said they had plenty.Made the drive to rio waited in line for 20 min for the gal to tell me no pileworms,bound and determined to get some piles we head to dockside in pittburg,got our pileworms and were heading back to suisun when the truck dies on 160,great,pull the 24 gallon tank outta the boat,managed to get her started and back on our way.My brother is still a virgin when it comes to sturgeon and I was bound and determined to put him on a fish.Finally at 11:30 we launch and find a nice spot holding some fish,for some reason the eel/pile combo has worked really well for me the last 2 years.After about an hr my brother gets a takedown and fish on,15 min into the fight the fish goes airbourne and its a dandy,pulled anchor and chased him down,12 years and he finally got one,she was 71" and released right after a photo session:excited:

Swimbaitjunkie
02-14-2011, 05:21 PM
WOW!!!!!!! great catch.....man,that thing is a tank....the only thing I hate the most is when U call for bait N they say "yes we have it & we just got them in" then when U get there N U wait N line for hecka long just to hear them say "we just ran out, sorry" ...nice way to end the day with a BANG...

jeepee
02-14-2011, 05:33 PM
One word>>>>>>>>>> wwwwooooowww !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FishWisher
02-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Congrats to your brother, but...

This board doesn't approve of photos taken of oversize fish out of the water - that is illegal. And it is especially sad to see when held by the gill plates.

The photo has been removed as it is an illegal activity. I appreciate your excitement over a big fish, but there is no excuse for taking an oversize out of the water.

jimhill
02-14-2011, 06:17 PM
I understand ur concern and we werent aware that it was oversize till it was measured.Sorry

FishWisher
02-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Here's a way to avoid the taking of over-sized sturgeon:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/FishWisher/sturgtape.jpg

This is a 66" garden tape for tying plants to stakes, tied to a stick. It is marked at 46" and when laid in the water next to a submitted fish, it usually gives a pretty clear indication of the approximate size.

This or something like it should make it easier to judge a keeper fish.

Still, congrats on a very exciting catch! :thumbsup:

white_cap
02-14-2011, 07:00 PM
This was taken from California Outdoors Q&A
Question: I’ve seen several pictures over the years of anglers hoisting oversized sturgeon out of the water and dragging them back to the dock for pictures. Isn’t it against the law to treat fish that are to be released this way? How should oversized sturgeon be handled, given that the justifiably proud angler would like to get a picture or two before releasing? (Jim J.)
Answer: There are two important issues here – the regulations and doing what is best for the fish. The regulations state “…all fish …less than the legal minimum size or greater than the maximum legal size must be returned immediately to the water from which they were taken,” (CCR Title 14 section 1.62). No sturgeon less than 46 inches total length or greater than 66 inches total length may be taken or possessed.
Anglers often choose to keep the biggest fish possible and then, for an accurate assessment, they take the oversized fish out of the water to measure. By doing this the angler risks being cited for taking an obviously oversized fish out of the water and keeping it out of the water too long (e.g., for an extended picture session). If the fish is not legal and it is not immediately released, the person possessing the fish may be cited for possessing an illegal fish. If the fish is harmed during the release or photographing and it dies, the person who took the fish may be cited for the illegal take of the fish.
As far as what’s best for the fish, according to Department of Fish and Game (DFG) sturgeon expert Marty Gingras, the answer is clear: Do not remove from the water any part – particularly the head – of a fish that you will release. They are suffocating when their gills are removed from the water and blood-chemistry studies show they are clearly stressed from both the fight and from handling after the fight.