PDA

View Full Version : the downward spiral

Fishfarmer
02-15-2011, 07:48 AM
This site used to be a good place for discussions..........seems like now all the good threads are locked down. What gives? We cant even disagree in a civil manner with one another. I guess it upsets the herd. Im sure this will be deleted soon too

mike_l
02-15-2011, 08:16 AM
This site used to be a good place for discussions..........seems like now all the good threads are locked down. What gives? We cant even disagree in a civil manner with one another. I guess it upsets the herd. Im sure this will be deleted soon too

Well, it's your nickel. What would you like to discuss in a civil manner?

Fishfarmer
02-15-2011, 08:38 AM
well, for starters, we had a good thread going on the new fishing lic. that was gutted by the moderators a while back. Also the thread three below this one didnt seem to bash F&G, but it was closed, why? It just seems like if we dont all agree on something, it gets closed or severely edited. Kinda hard to debate issues, etc. if we have to agree all the time. Just knock off the name calling and crap like that, and we can agree to disagree or whatever. I just wish the mods here werent such quick draws. Thats all. Why whats on your mind Mike?:11:

CRABBY
02-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Well, it's your nickel. What would you like to discuss in a civil manner?
LOL,sure lets have a civil disscussion,where would you like to start,first keep in mind this is an OPEN site to the general public,not a locked private site like your stingem site,so it must remain Civil,clean,no cussing,no bashing etc etc.MAYBE a good fishing Thread,with helpfull info,that would be cool,my Q to you an others who keep saying this stuff about how this site used to be so open an easy going,did you all forget the old ruling party that most refered to as nazies,if you weren't part of their group forget it,an there were so many Mod's you couldn't look sideways without getting Poofed.Now many times I have re-opened a thread when requested an for the right reasons,flameing the Board on an open thread will gain you nothing,thats what PMs are for.As for the warden site they always end up being a bash party that keeps the overpaid Mods too busy,I am talking to the poster on that one about somhow re-opening it..Don

mike_l
02-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Well, I think you have a legit concern.

Having said that, I would disagree about the post below. The original poster (IMO) had a clear agenda feeling that DFG should NOT be allowed the latitude they have in enforcing the law. I think locking down a post with that agenda is the right thing to do.

Don't know anything about the license thread. There are threads like that on every board in Ca and after reading them for a day or so I quit looking.

The board has guidelines and the mods have to try and keep the discourse here within boundaries. My 2 cents would be:

if they are not following the guidelines in moderating, then you really do have a beef.
If they are following the guidelines and you're unhappy with them, say that and open a discussion of the guidelines themselves. (which is what I think your post is about)
What you've done is air a complaint and that is what good members here should do (again, my opinion) rather than just go away and bad mouth the board or the mods. I don't necessarily agree with you, but would rather have you say your piece in the open than just be angry in the shadows.

ok?

oh, and I've been crosswise with a mod or 2 myself from time to time, but hey have ALWAYS been up front and fair with me.

-Mike

Fishfarmer
02-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Howdy all....I have been back and forth via PM with moderators here before :lipsrsealed:.....I know you guys have a tough job keeping up with all us idiots, so Im not trying to beat up on you guys too much, but sometimes there is a little good that can come from differing viewpoints. Plus I have never plead my case and then had the thread or something I had posted within the thread re appear.I know I have learned a lot off these boards in the past I keep telling myself to stick to the kokanee boards lol.. forget I said anything, carry on, these are not the droids youre looking for :kiss:

aka Americansteel
02-15-2011, 09:24 AM
. I just wish the mods here werent such quick draws.

It was alot worse IMO before "The Takeover"

CRABBY
02-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Howdy all....I have been back and forth via PM with moderators here before :lipsrsealed:.....I know you guys have a tough job keeping up with all us idiots, so Im not trying to beat up on you guys too much, but sometimes there is a little good that can come from differing viewpoints. Plus I have never plead my case and then had the thread or something I had posted within the thread re appear.I know I have learned a lot off these boards in the past I keep telling myself to stick to the kokanee boards lol.. forget I said anything, carry on, these are not the droids youre looking for :kiss:

Many members have had me reopen a thread for them,many members I have banned I have brought back online with just a simple promise to behave,so far I have not regretted these actions,good constructive comment's about our guideline's/rules are always welcome,but usually what happens is a few get on an mess it up an then the whole thread goes downhill or we end up with half the thread deleted or edited.

bigeasy8240
02-15-2011, 12:55 PM
LOL,sure lets have a civil disscussion,where would you like to start,first keep in mind this is an OPEN site to the general public,not a locked private site like your stingem site,so it must remain Civil,clean,no cussing,no bashing etc etc.

See the statement above, it can be construed to Stingem as inflammatory in nature!

A Civil statement would have been uplifting. Like, FishFarmer I do understand what you are saying and I VOW to exhibit a little more patience in dealing with said local animals like Bigeasy! I know that everyone has their problems and concerns and we will try to accomodate all! Even the local animals like Bigeasy!

paokhang
02-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Well, I think you have a legit concern.

Having said that, I would disagree about the post below. The original poster (IMO) had a clear agenda feeling that DFG should NOT be allowed the latitude they have in enforcing the law. I think locking down a post with that agenda is the right thing to do.

The written word can be interpreted in many ways so I try to be careful but I can see that my actions were misinterpreted. I by no means want to bash the DFG, I just want to know what they can and cannot do. I give them the power I just want to know what that power is so that I'm not getting mad at them for doing something they have every right to do. Different rules apply to different people and being a fisherman I give up certain rights to the DFG that I wouldn't give up had I chosen not to be a fisherman. For example, if I were out in public and some dudes randomly started taking pictures of me I would get upset....however if I were a celebrity I would not be as upset because I understand that that is one of the faults that come with being a celeb. I just do not want to go get mad at a warden for taking my picture when I am a celebrity, if you get my drift...

mike_l
02-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Pao...you're right about the written word and if I misread your post I apologize. No idea where you could get a "list" of what a warden can or cannot legally do, although I know their authority is broader than other LE officers.

Someone responded to your post saying something like "if you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about" and that's how I feel. There are so few people (seemingly) doing the right thing these days that ANY dfg presence on the waters I fish is welcome and I love it when they check me. Between poachers of bear, deer, pigs, fish, abalone and importers of illegal game they have their hands more than full.

-Mike

paokhang
02-15-2011, 04:10 PM
No problems here at all. Yes, at times I feel that way also that if I have nothing to hide then I have nothing to be afraid of, but knowing your rights differs from this. I have no problem helping out anyone as long as I know that they are not trying to take advantage of me, the minute someone tries to abuse their power that's when I see a major problem, especially since I am not doing anything wrong. I'm pretty sure most feel the same way. Does carrying a fishing pole or a riffle automatically make you a target for the DFG? Yes and no. Who would a ranger question a camper or a fisherman/hunter? When you know that you are already a target I think that it is in your best interest to know the rules so that you can play by them and also inform others to play by them also, by others I am including DFG in the conversation too. Check and balances to keep everyone in line, that's how I feel.

bigeasy8240
02-15-2011, 04:38 PM
No problems here at all. Yes, at times I feel that way also that if I have nothing to hide then I have nothing to be afraid of, but knowing your rights differs from this. I have no problem helping out anyone as long as I know that they are not trying to take advantage of me, the minute someone tries to abuse their power that's when I see a major problem, especially since I am not doing anything wrong. I'm pretty sure most feel the same way. Does carrying a fishing pole or a riffle automatically make you a target for the DFG? Yes and no. Who would a ranger question a camper or a fisherman/hunter? When you know that you are already a target I think that it is in your best interest to know the rules so that you can play by them and also inform others to play by them also, by others I am including DFG in the conversation too. Check and balances to keep everyone in line, that's how I feel.

Very well stated! Yes He included DFG! :smiley_up::smiley_up::smiley_up::smiley_up::smile y_up::smiley_up: All true and nothing subjective about his statement!

CRABBY
02-15-2011, 05:29 PM
LOL,sure lets have a civil disscussion,where would you like to start,first keep in mind this is an OPEN site to the general public,not a locked private site like your stingem site,so it must remain Civil,clean,no cussing,no bashing etc etc.

See the statement above, it can be construed to Stingem as inflammatory in nature!

A Civil statement would have been uplifting. Like, FishFarmer I do understand what you are saying and I VOW to exhibit a little more patience in dealing with said local animals like Bigeasy! I know that everyone has their problems and concerns and we will try to accomodate all! Even the local animals like Bigeasy!
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:...Yeah right

mike_l
02-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Very well stated! Yes He included DFG! :smiley_up::smiley_up::smiley_up::smiley_up::smile y_up::smiley_up: All true and nothing subjective about his statement!

ok...he says he thinks he should know his rights. I agree. What else did I miss that is worth 6 arrows? I really don't get the big issue?

Fern-dog
02-15-2011, 07:27 PM
You know you gotta love this thread, read it and your heads spins around faster than Linda Blair spitting out green pea soup! :carla: In any case, it's all good and it's all healthy so long as the key word of "Respect" remains in tact, which I believe it has.

Pao, I have 30 yrs in law enforcement and if you want to hear some stories about Peace Officers and their abuse of powers, PM me, boy have I got some for you. But I will also tell you some stories about officers who went way beyond their duties as well, who saved lives, kept folks from getting hurt and oh yes, those that paid the ultimate price and never came home from their watch. Give DFG a break, it's a thankless underpaid job. They have the same powers as any Peace Officer, it is their power of search which is greater! Key word being "Reasonable" Suspicion. PM me we can talk more.

As for our Mods, you gotta love those guys for the job they do and all they put up with. Good Fishing everyone & be safe !!!

Fern-Dog

Marv
02-15-2011, 08:35 PM
The mods on this board are doing a great job. When a thread gets locked or edited, the fact of it being locked ''to early'' is your feeling on the subject, You say you dont like the site but you sure do have time to post check post and answer back.I have no beef with you, that just the way I see(read) it. Why for the love of money do people say ''if your not hiding something then let them search you and your personal property. WOW, how about NO, If a person is caught in or attempting a illegal act then NAIL THEM TO THE WALL. If I or anyone else is not breaking any laws then SCAN LICENCE, KICK ROCKS. They do work a underpaid and thankless job, just like the rest of us. Sorry if I offend by thats my 2bits.

Delta_Rose
02-15-2011, 09:26 PM
I welcome any interaction with DFG. Although I have never been checked while fishing, I've had contact with DFG once while duck hunting and once while dove hunting. Both times, I thought the folks I dealt with were first class peace officers.

DFG wardens have some of the toughest law enforcement assignments and the lowest pay, and they put their lives on the line to protect the natural resources that belong to all of us. Pay them respect and help them get their job done as quickly and efficiently as possible by cooperating with their instructions. If you are abiding by the law, you have nothing to be worried about. The sooner they finish with you, the sooner they can get back to work finding someone who is not abiding the law.

TroutGhost
02-15-2011, 10:05 PM
In my opinion, political discussions have no place on a forum about FISHING. The moment a member drags in left wing accusations or right wing theories is when this forum goes off topic.

Politics and religion are divisive. They work against the mission of a forum which is to bring likeminded people together around a topic. In this case the topic is FISHING. It doesn't matter if you're right wing, left wing, atheist, muslim, mormon, or a traditional christian, the topic is FISHING, and all that other stuff, in my opinion should be left OFF the forum for the good of the community. In my opinion, anything that is divisive works against the purpose of the forum, which is discussion of FISHING.

I am not saying anyone else is wrong and that I am more right than others. Just stating my opinion. ;)

paokhang
02-15-2011, 11:32 PM
An example of what I'm thinking of: a regular officer cannot search your trunk without enough probable cause but, to my knowledge, a DFG warden can inspect your trunk with less probable cause because that is a likely place for a poacher to hide stolen fish. Some may cry foul play by the warden because they assume the warden does not have the authority when in fact he does....point being you gave him the power to do that so stop complaining about things that you agreed to in your contract. This is what I want to stop, all of the complaining....but the only way to stop it is by showing people point blank that DFG can do A, B, and C. I believe that once people know A B C then the problems will die down. Some people are not scared by the DFG wardens while others are overly scared. I think it it does us all good if we knew what to expect from a warden and what not to expect. I know that I can call the cops to report a crime but I am not going to call them to put out a fire. If poachers knew that DFG watches them from afar and is allowed to inspect their property right there on the spot without a warrant, then I think that there will be less poachers because would be poachers understand "hey, dfg wardens do have power and they will catch me and what I think I know about the law does not apply." If people just knew that it is in DFG's power to do what they do then DFG's job will go alot more smoothly, the problem is that people don't know and that's how rants and complaints about the DFG get started.

mytmouse
02-16-2011, 06:42 AM
nothing worthwhile to add

Marv
02-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Well none of the D.F.G. was forced to join, if they took an underpaid job thats there fault, Some would be happy to have an underpaid job.
If you have nothing to hide blah,blah,blah. HOW ABOUT IF SOMEONE IS LEGAL TO FISH AND NOT BREAKING RULES, THANK THAT MAN FOR PAYING YOUR SALARY AND GO ABOUT YOUR WAY! Im a very respectful and caring person and have no problem showing my licence getting my name ran for warrants and chit chatting while all that goes on, once i'm clear leave and go clean up all the trash up off the banks! Before you tell me to pick it up I always take a trash bag and fill it, I dont get paid not one person says thank you(i do it for me, you and our kids to enjoy) do I derserve a pat on the back, HECK NO... YOU SHOULD NOT BE REWARDED FOR DOING THE RIGHT THING, JUST DO THEM.

bigeasy8240
02-16-2011, 10:20 AM
ok...he says he thinks he should know his rights. I agree. What else did I miss that is worth 6 arrows? I really don't get the big issue?

It's all there! Sometimes I re-read what I have read to understand the entire statement, not just the one I want to hugg and smooch on!

:krzyhunter4ez: Life can be confusing! :snacker:

dandeuce
02-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Thought this thread might be about " Vance's spiral rods " guess I'm wrong ! Moderator , how about relocating this " complaining " thread to the correct area , not in the general freshwater fishing section ?

mike_l
02-16-2011, 10:56 AM
An example of what I'm thinking of: a regular officer cannot search your trunk without enough probable cause but, to my knowledge, a DFG warden can inspect your trunk with less probable cause because that is a likely place for a poacher to hide stolen fish. Some may cry foul play by the warden because they assume the warden does not have the authority when in fact he does....point being you gave him the power to do that so stop complaining about things that you agreed to in your contract. This is what I want to stop, all of the complaining....but the only way to stop it is by showing people point blank that DFG can do A, B, and C. I believe that once people know A B C then the problems will die down. Some people are not scared by the DFG wardens while others are overly scared. I think it it does us all good if we knew what to expect from a warden and what not to expect. I know that I can call the cops to report a crime but I am not going to call them to put out a fire. If poachers knew that DFG watches them from afar and is allowed to inspect their property right there on the spot without a warrant, then I think that there will be less poachers because would be poachers understand "hey, dfg wardens do have power and they will catch me and what I think I know about the law does not apply." If people just knew that it is in DFG's power to do what they do then DFG's job will go alot more smoothly, the problem is that people don't know and that's how rants and complaints about the DFG get started.

WOW! Now I really apologize, Pao...I got just the opposite of this from your other post. I'm with you 100%.

Fishbucket
02-16-2011, 02:02 PM
3 pages in 2 days..... sweet !

CrappieJed
02-16-2011, 06:56 PM
3 pages in 2 days..... sweet !

FB i rather be catching some slabs and watch the stars:seestars:

Goldencarp
02-17-2011, 09:23 AM
The Sniffer used to be a much more friendly place to visit. Not so anymore...

CRABBY
02-17-2011, 10:06 AM

Guess it's time to bring on some more MOD's....Don

Fishbucket
02-17-2011, 10:57 AM

No way... I disagree.

I wish there is a way to show a graph of how many posts/threads were deleted from 2007 to now.
You'd be very surprized.
I think most of what you saw was a core group of people that were on everyday and had bazillion post that joked around on the forum. since that are mostly gone. You have the sniffers that are not used to or acustomed to joking around or typing all day... take you for example.. since 2007 and only 151 posts. ( NOT saying anything is wrong withn that) Your not a big typer, or wanting to go head long on the forum.
No problem with that. Just without you being involved, it looks unfriendly.

A few "Sniffer Fests" ... would cure that.

Toxic_Waste
02-19-2011, 10:54 PM
There was some mention about how politics have no place on a fishing forum, and in a way I agree. But in another way, it is our unfortunate reality that our beloved fishing has become so over-legislated/regulated we cannot avoid politics anymore.

If we don't keep current on all the proposed and enacted legislation, we will always get the short end of the stick. I hate that politics is so often divisive, because now more than ever it is critical for fishermen to work together and be a cohesive force in order to protect what we love.

When we fight amongst ourselves you can be sure the anti-fishing groups are rubbing their hands together with glee, because to quote an old saying, "United we stand, divided we fall".

Personally, I love to read threads that have differing opinions because they cause me to stop and think and many times go off to do some research so I can form my own opinion. I don't like any name-calling or insults, however.