PDA

View Full Version : Rockcod question

sjshark
08-31-2007, 12:53 PM
Got some rock cod and I planned on grilling them but I've never heard of anyone eating them grilled. I usally eat them fish and chipped, but want to try something different. posted this on the recipe board but figure I get more responses here.

MontanaN8V
08-31-2007, 01:16 PM
Camping up at salt point, I caught a few from shore. I filleted them out, and grilled them with just salt and pepper. They were fantastic. Caught one out of Bodega off the jetty and made fish tacos, grilled that one too, I like them that way.

Fish_R_Us
08-31-2007, 03:26 PM
Sometimes just throw in some green onions, cilantro, S&P, leave skin on, wrap in foil and place on grill. Wait 5 mins when steam appears, flip over and repeat. Should be done, depending on size. Big ones will need more time. Meat should flake off the bone. This method steams the meat.

If you are fileting, leave skin on one side, helps keep meat together as it wants to break apart. Overcooking will tend to dry the meat. Or it the grill has wide slots, place double foil over the grill and cook fish on the foil. Prevents your meat from breaking up and falling thru to the coals.

sethonious
08-31-2007, 03:38 PM
Gut the fish
Scale the fish
Cut off the fins
Score the flesh (critical to ensure complete cooking)
Stuff cavity with lemon slices dill minced garlic salt and pepper
Salt and pepper and dill on the outside
Drizzle with olive oil and let set for about 1-2 hours

Grill whole until the fish flakes to the center, or take a chunk out of the thick part and see if it is cooked through.

My wife used to get crabby when I wanted to cook fish whole because she want it looking back at her. I convinced her to let me try it one time... Now it is the top of her list. Cooking fish on the bone always brings more flavor to the party (especially for something as mild as rockfish).

sjshark
08-31-2007, 03:38 PM
Thanks guys I'll do that up tonight and hopefully I don't overcookem.

slick88
08-31-2007, 04:28 PM
Gut the fish
Scale the fish
Cut off the fins
Score the flesh (critical to ensure complete cooking)
Stuff cavity with lemon slices dill minced garlic salt and pepper
Salt and pepper and dill on the outside
Drizzle with olive oil and let set for about 1-2 hours

Grill whole until the fish flakes to the center, or take a chunk out of the thick part and see if it is cooked through.

My wife used to get crabby when I wanted to cook fish whole because she want it looking back at her. *I convinced her to let me try it one time... Now it is the top of her list. *Cooking fish on the bone always brings more flavor to the party (especially for something as mild as rockfish).

I prefer the fish whole also---you get the real fresh flavors of the fish and there's the best part: the cheeks!

http://www.eatingchina.com/recipes/steamed-fish.htm

triggerfish
08-31-2007, 08:22 PM
If you get a big one bleed/gill/gut/scale/then steak it in about 1-1 1/2 pieces then grill its great

realdeal
08-31-2007, 08:22 PM
In my opinion, the best, and easiest way to grill rockfish is to simply marinate the fillets in italian salad dressing for half an hour and throw it on the grill. The dressing adds all the spices u need and oil to keep it from sticking to the grill

triggerfish
08-31-2007, 08:27 PM
I am having problems posting photos... sorry But this red was a toad!