PDA

View Full Version : ice house reservoir

fishingfreak
02-16-2011, 05:05 PM
when does it usually thaw or does it even freeze i usually do not start trying to fish it till i see some posts of the fishing reports last year we fished it in the spring and did extremely well want to get up there as soon as it thaws or there first or second plant

Jason
02-16-2011, 06:08 PM
The back half freezes up for the winter. I fish Ice House year round, but usually find the action starts around the end of April.

fishingfreak
02-16-2011, 06:47 PM
so you are saying were silver creek inlet is it freezes if so that is were we usually absolutely kill them back in their you would think the the whole lake freezes if part of it freezes

Kyburz_hooker
02-21-2011, 07:40 PM
My friend told me friday the lake is frozen.

SpaceFish
02-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Last couple years it froze solid.
Has PG&E plowed the road recently?

Treebeard
02-24-2011, 05:11 AM
so you are saying were silver creek inlet is it freezes if so that is were we usually absolutely kill them back in their you would think the the whole lake freezes if part of it freezes
I can vouch for the content of the first part of what you said there, that's a good spot... though it ets a bit muddy to drive back there in the early season, if you can't float in.

It stays colder back there because of shade and shelter; and I don't know but that cold water coming in from the creek may push warmer water out.

The back half freezes up for the winter. I fish Ice House year round, but usually find the action starts around the end of April.

That's just about the time it gets legal to get into the streams... :rolleyes2:

But it depends on the year - a few years ago when there wasn't much snow or ice, it was good there in January. I didn't get to go check it out yet this year, but up until a week or so ago, the snow maps (http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/map.html?var=snow_depth_shallow&min_x=-120.45833333333&min_y=38.691666666667&max_x=-120.10833333333&max_y=38.958333333334&bgvar=none&shdvar=shading&title=0&width=780&height=600&font=0&lbl=m&palette=0&h_o=0&metric=0&lp=1&no_header=0&snap=1&o5=1&o6=1&o7=1&o9=1&o11=1&o12=1&o13=1&o15=1) showed almost if not all clear around Union Valley. That opportunity is obviously past for now though, it says there's about 3'+ there now.

That said, I have snowshoed in to both lakes before, and done well enough. But go with a buddy for safety; bring a rope and a way to make emergency heat, a least a candle; and be really careful about getting too up-close and personal with the water or thin ice!

TB

Jfitalia
02-24-2011, 07:34 AM
I can vouch for the content of the first part of what you said there, that's a good spot... though it ets a bit muddy to drive back there in the early season, if you can't float in.

It stays colder back there because of shade and shelter; and I don't know but that cold water coming in from the creek may push warmer water out.

But it depends on the year - a few years ago when there wasn't much snow or ice, it was good there in January. I didn't get to go check it out yet this year, but up until a week or so ago, the snow maps (http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/map.html?var=snow_depth_shallow&min_x=-120.45833333333&min_y=38.691666666667&max_x=-120.10833333333&max_y=38.958333333334&bgvar=none&shdvar=shading&title=0&width=780&height=600&font=0&lbl=m&palette=0&h_o=0&metric=0&lp=1&no_header=0&snap=1&o5=1&o6=1&o7=1&o9=1&o11=1&o12=1&o13=1&o15=1) showed almost if not all clear around Union Valley. That opportunity is obviously past for now though, it says there's about 3'+ there now.

That said, I have snowshoed in to both lakes before, and done well enough. But go with a buddy for safety; bring a rope and a way to make emergency heat, a least a candle; and be really careful about getting too up-close and personal with the water or thin ice!

TB

Hey guys I'm all for hiking and stuff but this all seems like a lot a work for a lake that kicks out a bunch of 10-12 inch trout on average. i have fished the lake for 10 years now and last year was the worst. i caught a ton of fish but all very small and they didnt fight worth a crap....

fishingfreak
02-24-2011, 08:13 AM
Hey guys I'm all for hiking and stuff but this all seems like a lot a work for a lake that kicks out a bunch of 10-12 inch trout on average. i have fished the lake for 10 years now and last year was the worst. i caught a ton of fish but all very small and they didnt fight worth a crap....
the fish may be small but i have never had a fish there that did not fight hard but i also use 2 pound test and a ultra light rod the fish in the lower lakes or so called truck trout look retarted and die ounce you get them to the bank or the boat i now the trout at ice house are truck trout but they seem to be more healthy than one that are genetically changed to be massive. you are rigt i fished that lake about 6 times last year they were all very small they are the trout that dfg plants for free i think im going to fish caples more this year the trout are bigger an they got some nice sized brownies there

fishingfreak
02-24-2011, 08:15 AM

TB
i know its muddy early in the season but if you got four wheel drive and just keep your wheels moving you will be fine we gone trough it with 2 wheel drive before its not hard to get trough

Jfitalia
02-24-2011, 08:44 AM
the fish may be small but i have never had a fish there that did not fight hard but i also use 2 pound test and a ultra light rod the fish in the lower lakes or so called truck trout look retarted and die ounce you get them to the bank or the boat i now the trout at ice house are truck trout but they seem to be more healthy than one that are genetically changed to be massive. you are rigt i fished that lake about 6 times last year they were all very small they are the trout that dfg plants for free i think im going to fish caples more this year the trout are bigger an they got some nice sized brownies there

I use 2lb test and ultra lights and those fish don't even pull drag. The f&g fish put into camanche and pardee are much nicer and actually fight.

LD
02-24-2011, 09:07 AM
My friend told me friday the lake is frozen.
I heard the same, and with the storm we have coming in, it may not be fishable for awhile.

catfishcuddler
02-24-2011, 03:26 PM
I like penguins :hitoverhead:

catfishcuddler
02-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Oh Icehouse? They should get a heater so the house just doesnt freeze!! :lipsrsealed:

fishingfreak
02-24-2011, 03:28 PM
I use 2lb test and ultra lights and those fish don't even pull drag. The f&g fish put into camanche and pardee are much nicer and actually fight.
dfg plants the fish for free at ice house the fish at camanche are bigger but you would expect a big fish to fight hard the fish they plant at ice house live so much longer and taste better

fishingfreak
02-24-2011, 03:29 PM
I like penguins :hitoverhead:
tanner you are retarded

Jfitalia
02-24-2011, 04:14 PM
dfg plants the fish for free at ice house the fish at camanche are bigger but you would expect a big fish to fight hard the fish they plant at ice house live so much longer and taste better

They only taste different if you catch a holdover otherwise they both have white meat and taste the same cause their feed the same food. However the crappy dfg fish from ice house are a different strain and aren't raised the same as the the other fish which is another reason why they're weaker. Just because a fish is big doesn't mean they fight harder ...

fishingfreak
02-24-2011, 05:43 PM
2 weekends ago i got a trout at camanche it was 19 inches and 3 1/2 pounds it had pink meat is that a holdover trout what is a hold over trout

Jfitalia
02-24-2011, 06:34 PM
2 weekends ago i got a trout at camanche it was 19 inches and 3 1/2 pounds it had pink meat is that a holdover trout what is a hold over trout

Yeah it could be from last years stocking or one of the first stockings of this season. . The meat turns orange or pink when they start eating natural forage. The term holdover comes from a fish that was from a previous season of stocking.

catfishcuddler
02-24-2011, 06:52 PM
actually your fish was 2 pounds. Just thought id tell the truth

Jfitalia
02-24-2011, 08:13 PM

LOL oh man your busting your buddy out! haha

steevo44
02-24-2011, 10:55 PM
I dont think that fish at camanche was a holdover. Dont get me wrong, it could have been, but I was there on Sat with a buddy and we each got our limit easily. We had about 4 fish that were very fat and had pink meat. The sheriff came to check on us and had 2 other people with him from wherever they get there fish. They both looked at our stringers to see if their fish were being caught. One of the guys clearly recognized the 4 fish that had pink meat as being from their hatchery.

fishingfreak
02-25-2011, 07:04 AM
2 1/2 :oldangryman::oldangryman::oldangryman: