PDA

View Full Version : Trolling noob...help!

CAL916BEAR
02-18-2011, 09:56 PM
im new to trolling, done it once or twice with no success...Im going camping this sun-tue to lake camanche, gonna hit camanche and pardee. Now i know you can do well bank fishing at both places and have done so many times, but i want to learn to troll! Im planning on using one of the rental boats at the lake and have lots of questions....

First, im assuming toplining will be ok since the weather is cold, but do i need leadcore for that, and how far out do i let my line behind the boat? If im not using leadcore how do i know how far back my lure is? ....Also, how fast should i troll, and are those small HP rental boats even capable of going slow enough? And last but not least baits/setups, now i got some flashers and sidekicks and dodgers, and know what lures work, but what combos are useful and how far of a leader behind the dodger/flasher do i set my bait?.......oh yeah one last question, what size grub and jighead is effective for trolling and do you use that with a sidekick or dodger or flasher?......so if anybody can answer any or all of my questions it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Barleycorn
02-18-2011, 10:32 PM
Don't need leadcore to topline,you can just use mono. I like a 6"-12" leader for worms/grubs slow trolled 1-1.6mph works for me. I like sep's sidekick and slingblade are my favorites. You can also put an egg sinker above the leader/swivel if you want to get down deeper than just the topline. Hopefully others can answer some of the other quest, as I have to get going. Good luck!

CAL916BEAR
02-18-2011, 11:00 PM
would 6lb test mainline and 4lb leader be ok or should i use heavier?

Fishbucket
02-19-2011, 05:48 AM
I use a dodger or a set of small flashers with a 12" leader tied to a hook (anytype works) with a threaded mini crawler. Using 6lb main and leader.
or
A strait shank hook with a grub threaded on ( make the tail curl away from the hookpoint) put an action disc ( wiggle fin) on the 6 lb main line about 2 feet up tie inline a good (ballbearing type) swivel.

Those are my 2 best set-ups.

After that I start switching out the worm with hard metal lures. , streamer flys, spinners, kastmasters....or trolling naked minnow plugs ...etc.

Vary your speed, be sure to trail your lure beside the boat to see if the action is right. Dont let the dodger spin. it should go side to side. same with the grub. Minnow baits need to be trolled faster for the best action.
Use a bucket tied to the boat trailing in the water if you need to troll slower.

Have fun and Good luck !

CAL916BEAR
02-19-2011, 07:15 PM
awesome thanks! heading out tomorrow will let u know how it goes

Big Game
02-19-2011, 08:30 PM
I use a dodger or a set of small flashers with a 12" leader tied to a hook (anytype works) with a threaded mini crawler. Using 6lb main and leader.
or
A strait shank hook with a grub threaded on ( make the tail curl away from the hookpoint) put an action disc ( wiggle fin) on the 6 lb main line about 2 feet up tie inline a good (ballbearing type) swivel.

Those are my 2 best set-ups.

After that I start switching out the worm with hard metal lures. , streamer flys, spinners, kastmasters....or trolling naked minnow plugs ...etc.

Vary your speed, be sure to trail your lure beside the boat to see if the action is right. Dont let the dodger spin. it should go side to side. same with the grub. Minnow baits need to be trolled faster for the best action.
Use a bucket tied to the boat trailing in the water if you need to troll slower.

Have fun and Good luck !

FB is right on. Just a couple of more things. If water is off-color use a duller attractor whether it be a flasher / dodger or Ford Fender, Beer Can, etc... a shiny one if the water is clear. Larger attractors will get deep quick. You want to be far away from your engine noise, but not too deep that your lure goes UNDER the fish. You want to be slightly ABOVE the fish. test your trolling speed by holding the lure / attractor to the side of your boat and adjust the boat speed to the lures / attractors optimal performance. Invest in a $2.00 Nightcrawler threader - they are fantastic and easy to use. Tight Lines, Big Game