1/3 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Light Terriaki Marinade
Juice from half an orange
3 squirts of mustard
4 Shakes of Lawry's seasoned salt
3 Shakes of Pepper
4 Shakes of Paprika
4 Tbs. brown sugar

Fillet 2 trout and try to ply out the middle bones. Rinse fillets then pat dry. Cut the fillet's in half so one half is the tail end. Mix the liquid ingredient's then add the dry. Pour a little of the brine in the bottom of a platter and then add the fillet's flipping so the each fillet is covered in the brine. Add the remaining brine to the platter, cover with foil and place in refrigerator. Let sit overnight. When your ready to smoke remove the fish from the liquid. Give a quick rinse with water and Pat dry. Place on plates and let sit out for at least 30 minutes. You can also set a fan on the fish while you get the coals ready. Place your wood chips (I used masquette but like Hickory when I can find it) in water and 15 minutes later light the coals. Once the coals are ready place the fillet's on the grill (I use a horizontal barrel smoker), then add the wood chips. Add more chips when the smoke dies about every 25-30 minutes. Before adding the chips I usally rotate the grill so that the fillet's smoke evenly. After 2 hours I add a piece of dry Oak so the fire keeps going and there is more smoke. If the coals die you can either start some more in another barbeque or remove the fish and add more coals. When the coals are white put the fish back in the smoker. I then remove the skin so that the moist meat close to the skin smokes for about 40 more minutes. Takes 3-4 hours depending on smoker temp. Remove from smoker and serve plain or add to crackers with cream cheese. Got the idea to dry the fish from Crappie Jed's post. I usally use kingsford wood chips which come with instructions. I should have removed the tail ends sooner since they were thinner but I wasn't paying attention and they were a little dry. The skin was like potatoe chips which tasted great.

Big Game
02-21-2011, 07:09 PM
GNap,

Wow! That's really nice of you to just throw this out there. Thanks a bunch!
I pretty much have Salmon down, but I have always wanted a good recipe for TROUT brine. We usually get so many trout at Davis Lake that actually, we get tired eating them
fried, barbecued, etc... and want an alternative like smoked Trout. I have tried some methods and they were good , but this looks fantastic. Shoot me a PM and I'll gladly
return the favor if you have never fished Lake Davis and I will tell you how Large the fillets
are. (HA)
FMI - P-town? is that Placerville or Pleasanton?
Big game

CrappieJed
02-21-2011, 07:50 PM
8 oz. of Corona
1/3 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Light Terriaki Marinade
Juice from half an orange
3 squirts of mustard
4 Shakes of Lawry's seasoned salt
3 Shakes of Pepper
4 Shakes of Paprika
4 Tbs. brown sugar

Fillet 2 trout and try to ply out the middle bones. Rinse fillets then pat dry. Cut the fillet's in half so one half is the tail end. Mix the liquid ingredient's then add the dry. Pour a little of the brine in the bottom of a platter and then add the fillet's flipping so the each fillet is covered in the brine. Add the remaining brine to the platter, cover with foil and place in refrigerator. Let sit overnight. When your ready to smoke remove the fish from the liquid. Give a quick rinse with water and Pat dry. Place on plates and let sit out for at least 30 minutes. You can also set a fan on the fish while you get the coals ready. Place your wood chips (I used masquette but like Hickory when I can find it) in water and 15 minutes later light the coals. Once the coals are ready place the fillet's on the grill (I use a horizontal barrel smoker), then add the wood chips. Add more chips when the smoke dies about every 25-30 minutes. Before adding the chips I usally rotate the grill so that the fillet's smoke evenly. After 2 hours I add a piece of dry Oak so the fire keeps going and there is more smoke. If the coals die you can either start some more in another barbeque or remove the fish and add more coals. When the coals are white put the fish back in the smoker. I then remove the skin so that the moist meat close to the skin smokes for about 40 more minutes. Takes 3-4 hours depending on smoker temp. Remove from smoker and serve plain or add to crackers with cream cheese. Got the idea to dry the fish from Crappie Jed's post. I usally use kingsford wood chips which come with instructions. I should have removed the tail ends sooner since they were thinner but I wasn't paying attention and they were a little dry. The skin was like potatoe chips which tasted great.
sound good G...1 trick i use after many smoking trips is its much easier to remove the rib bones after the fish is done i use tweazers the bones pull out very easy and you dont lose any meat

9erhater
02-23-2011, 05:16 AM
hey big game the p-town that gnap is refering to is Petaluma, I mean the world famous Petaluma, there chickens were know for producing the most eggs on the west coast some time ago. maybe he should change it C-town for chickaluma. sad the only thing getting laid in his town are the chicken or is it the egg, which came first??? :laugh:

GNappers
02-23-2011, 09:51 PM
P-Town is Petaluma which is about 45 minutes North from the home of the World Champion San Francisco Giant's. You don't have to show me the fillet's just take me fishing and maybe I can fillet what we catch. Never fished Lake Davis not even sure where it is.

9erhater
02-24-2011, 10:16 AM
LOL gnap I wish I had a nickle for everytime you mention your niners or giants after I reply to a thread. I would not need to buy gas or bait for a year. I like the way you roll.
now heres my question, does this brine taste salty? I would think with the seasoning salt and the soy sauce it would taste pretty salty. I am very familiar with the drying aspect of it. just want to know what the finished product may taste like. also when you refer to three squirts of mustard, are they short 1 teaspoon squirt or long squirts like a 2 tablespoon squirts?

CrappieJed
02-24-2011, 03:19 PM
rule of thumb on brine...find a good brine for salmon and cut the recipe in half for trout thats it

GNappers
02-24-2011, 04:03 PM
First you diss me now I have to help you out. Serenity Now! I didn't really measure it out, I just started adding stuff and then tasted the brine and it was pretty good. I used to just use Kikkoman terriaki marinade then brown sugar and that was tasty but now for barbeque sauce or brine I just throw ingredient's together. The finished product wasn't salty, and the skins were like chips. That night half of the smoked trout seemed over smoked but the next day after sitting in the fridge it tasted better, not sure how that happens. Go Niner's!

CrappieJed
02-24-2011, 04:23 PM
First you diss me now I have to help you out. Serenity Now! I didn't really measure it out, I just started adding stuff and then tasted the brine and it was pretty good. I used to just use Kikkoman terriaki marinade then brown sugar and that was tasty but now for barbeque sauce or brine I just throw ingredient's together. The finished product wasn't salty, and the skins were like chips. That night half of the smoked trout seemed over smoked but the next day after sitting in the fridge it tasted better, not sure how that happens. Go Niner's!
i dont mean to sound like a know it all, but...here we go, your taste of too much smoke came from the oak it has wrong flavor for trout and hickory is good for pork and beef, you want a smooth smoke flavor use apple and you dont need much maybe 2 pans or applications during the whole smoking time...i set a metal bowl of 1/2 water and wine in the smoker...BA sound delicious huh?

GNappers
02-24-2011, 05:10 PM
No I put it out there and wanted feed back. I just started smoking fish last year, I like to hear new ideas and advice. I also know that you know how to smoke fish, (Collin's Fest) and when it comes to crappie and smoking I think you do know it all. The other day I said to Fishbucket, "I wonder if pine would be good for smoking" to which he replied that "hard woods are not". Can you post a picture so I can see your setup, I think you are using a vertical smoker and I would like to know where to place the bowl with liquid. I have a horizontal smoker.

CrappieJed
02-24-2011, 06:03 PM
No I put it out there and wanted feed back. I just started smoking fish last year, I like to hear new ideas and advice. I also know that you know how to smoke fish, (Collin's Fest) and when it comes to crappie and smoking I think you do know it all. The other day I said to Fishbucket, "I wonder if pine would be good for smoking" to which he replied that "hard woods are not". Can you post a picture so I can see your setup, I think you are using a vertical smoker and I would like to know where to place the bowl with liquid. I have a horizontal smoker.
I know FB knows better then that...he is a Daniel Boone of sorts...pine is soft...hard wood soft wood really has no bearing on smoking i thought the same thing close to 30 years ago...i bought 4 of the biggest thickest porterhouse steaks you can buy and i wanted to add smoke i used madrone wood because it was hard i knew oak was good for smoking and its a hard wood..right? wrong the madrone smoke ruined the steaks my labs wouldn't even eat it...true story that wood put out some kind of creosote

let me see if i can find that pick

CrappieJed
02-24-2011, 06:15 PM
GN...about half way up the smoker is a rack that the liquid bowl sets on and another rack on the top for the fish
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy359/CrappieJed/smokedsalmonchristmas09.jpg
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy359/CrappieJed/salmonsmoked12-23-10.jpg
here is a pic of a couple of fine white crappie i caught close to your home
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy359/CrappieJed/HalibutTomales2001.jpg

9erhater
02-24-2011, 07:27 PM
gnap, I hope you know that I am just playing with you. I have no ill intentions or bad feeling towards you. You cant help it, your team got lucky..LOL anyway thanks for the recipe. I have been smoking meats, cheeses and fish for some time now. and crappie is right, if you do smoke fish stick to fruit wood or alder and very little smoke. Fish soaks the smoke flavor in much quicker then meats do. Heres a few tips when you first add the wood to your smoker let it smoke a bit to mellow, then add your fish to the grill. Also be sure to open your vent if you have one, if the smoke dont past through and over the fish it will give it a really nasty smoke flavor. When I smoke cheese, I will smoke it, and then I will wrap it with plastic and throw it in the fridge for 7-14 days this mellows the smoke taste out as you have already noticed plus it tastes 1000 times better then the crap you buy in the stores. when you said "serenity now" did you just say it? or did you yell it???
good luck :naughty:

CrappieJed
02-24-2011, 11:19 PM
gnap, I hope you know that I am just playing with you. I have no ill intentions or bad feeling towards you. You cant help it, your team got lucky..LOL anyway thanks for the recipe. I have been smoking meats, cheeses and fish for some time now. and crappie is right, if you do smoke fish stick to fruit wood or alder and very little smoke. Fish soaks the smoke flavor in much quicker then meats do. Heres a few tips when you first add the wood to your smoker let it smoke a bit to mellow, then add your fish to the grill. Also be sure to open your vent if you have one, if the smoke dont past through and over the fish it will give it a really nasty smoke flavor. When I smoke cheese, I will smoke it, and then I will wrap it with plastic and throw it in the fridge for 7-14 days this mellows the smoke taste out as you have already noticed plus it tastes 1000 times better then the crap you buy in the stores. when you said "serenity now" did you just say it? or did you yell it???
good luck :naughty:
alder absolutely great wood for trout...i dont use charcoal any more one of the most important moves you can make is keeping the heat at a perfect temp throughout the smoking process....i went to electric plate it kills charcoal...only thing is you need a smoking blanket during cooler months

9erhater
02-24-2011, 11:43 PM
hey crappiejed, do you have some type of temp controler on your elecctric rig. I dont use a brinkman anymore. I even had the electric element for it but it just ran to hot. I upgraded to a weber smoker bullet and use a bbq guru temp controller with it. just set the temp and go to sleep. fish are tough though, its hard to keep that temp down in the summertime. mostly I smoke at night when the outside temp is lower. My cheese I do differently and cold smoke it the cheese barely sweats.

GNappers
02-25-2011, 04:36 PM
I had some smoked gudda the other day and was thinking of giving cheese a try. I also want to try onions since I saw a show that used smoked onion dip. CJ, I saw the picture and knew immidiately it was scotty's. Nice butt's.

CrappieJed
02-25-2011, 06:22 PM
I had some smoked gudda the other day and was thinking of giving cheese a try. I also want to try onions since I saw a show that used smoked onion dip. CJ, I saw the picture and knew immidiately it was scotty's. Nice butt's.
Hoggs island baby!!!!

9erhater
02-25-2011, 06:25 PM
I have smoked alot of cheese, and the gouda ,sharp cheddar and pepper jack is everyones favorite including myself. when I got hit head on last year by that idiot in the truck a guy from work called me knowing I was bed ridden and asked if there was anyway I could smoke some cheese for him. I just laughed and told him if he came buy I would give him some of my reserves. I used an apple and cherry wood. I will tell you what gnapper, the next time I make a batch I will put a care package together for you and fishbucket to try. I just need to find time to make more, once the word is out that I smoked cheese my family and friends seem to visit more often. or shall I say to often.

CrappieJed
02-25-2011, 06:31 PM
hey crappiejed, do you have some type of temp controler on your elecctric rig. I dont use a brinkman anymore. I even had the electric element for it but it just ran to hot. I upgraded to a weber smoker bullet and use a bbq guru temp controller with it. just set the temp and go to sleep. fish are tough though, its hard to keep that temp down in the summertime. mostly I smoke at night when the outside temp is lower. My cheese I do differently and cold smoke it the cheese barely sweats.
no temp gauge...just a hot plate converter from cabelas i love my brinkman...fish comes out moist but not wet never dry...fish getting too tough you may have left it on too long....i smoke both sides of the fish remove the skin after the first half like G does...i smoked some rainbows one time and they tasted like kipper snack fish from the can it was so good...

9erhater
02-25-2011, 06:56 PM
yep that hot plate converter was the same thing I have. I lost the pan so I used a 10 inch cast iron skillet. I actually used it when I made my son some sturgeon candy. it turned out great. the only differents is I put the converter on the bottom of my big smoker. it was really good and very moist. I will give the trout a try, I usually dont eat to much fish.