PDA

View Full Version : Verona, 380hrs

Angry Sturgeon
02-21-2011, 07:13 PM
I tried Verona today, not to far from home, up the slough on the Sac just after the Feather split.(Not sure of the name of the slough). I picked that spot becuse my boy was with me and I new we would at least catch some catfish so it wouldnt be so boring for him. He caught some kittens on sardines and I got zilch on eel. Never fished that slough for Sturgeon and not sure if they go in there but added 5 more hours to the pot to find out.:sick: I gotta be gettin close to gettin a keeper!!!!!!!!!

doneli
02-21-2011, 07:58 PM
just keep trying...is just matter of time....don't give up...you will get them..it took me 5 years to get my first keeper...good luck

Jerrdirt
02-21-2011, 08:29 PM
spoke with a dfg officer who checked on our license and gears the other day and he said sturgeons are abundant from verona to colusa. we're fishing off the bank so i'm sure being on a boat can be much more successful. btw, use grass shrimp ;-)

cordodm
02-22-2011, 06:17 AM
man stop counting and just go relax and fish your hour count is depressing, i bet once you stop your hour count you will have fish on.:bump:

Bigg A
02-22-2011, 10:23 AM
I tried Verona today, not to far from home, up the slough on the Sac just after the Feather split.(Not sure of the name of the slough). I picked that spot becuse my boy was with me and I new we would at least catch some catfish so it wouldnt be so boring for him. He caught some kittens on sardines and I got zilch on eel. Never fished that slough for Sturgeon and not sure if they go in there but added 5 more hours to the pot to find out.:sick: I gotta be gettin close to gettin a keeper!!!!!!!!!

Not sure on the name either but some call it sacramento slough...if you've ever fished sutters bypass off sac ave its the slough that runs into the middle one where the F&G sign is. I'm pretty sure a few dinos wonder off in there....:winkfs:

Angry Sturgeon
02-22-2011, 04:12 PM
man stop counting and just go relax and fish your hour count is depressing, i bet once you stop your hour count you will have fish on.:bump:

Trust me, I am not upset about it, 380 hours of fishing with good friends and family is better than working. The counter is just keeping me focused, focused on what I'll never know:cheesy:....Besides, some dudes on here are amused by my lack of catch so I'm just giving them a chuckle....................

FishWisher
02-22-2011, 04:41 PM
God bless your lil' pea-pickin' heart, icemannocal, your time keeping is fun and you are keeping a lot of us entertained! And when you get that keeper, it'll all be worth it. :thumbsup:

When you do get that big keeper, all of us River Rats who just keep plugging away at sturgeon and who appreciate your efforts should all get together for a party! (But not on a weekend...)

Keep after 'em!

cordodm
02-22-2011, 06:09 PM
good luck with your first keeper, it just seems like your over thinking it but good luck, Me personally im on an about a year skunk but last couple years i was like a pro, wierd like that but we keep going:lipsrsealed::action-smiley-063::zzz5jl:

TEAM SNISHIN
02-24-2011, 09:40 PM
I fished for Sturgeon for 3 years charters, bank, boats from the bay to verona. 2 nights ago I got my first keeper 61 inches. Until then I doubted I had ever had a sturgeon smell my bait. Crazy thing is in 1 hour I caught 1 and 2 of my friends got into oversizers that broke them off. We were fishing late night from bank at Clarksberg. Action has been good there lately I guess we saw fish jumping constantly. I was using a snell dual hook set up spaced 8 inches apart eel on top hook and pile worm on bottom hook. We all got into fish with this same set up they bit on the pile but iim sure the eel attracted them to it. Well action has been great this year good luck loofk forward to seeing pics!

Angry Sturgeon
02-25-2011, 04:59 PM
I fished for Sturgeon for 3 years charters, bank, boats from the bay to verona. 2 nights ago I got my first keeper 61 inches. Until then I doubted I had ever had a sturgeon smell my bait. Crazy thing is in 1 hour I caught 1 and 2 of my friends got into oversizers that broke them off. We were fishing late night from bank at Clarksberg. Action has been good there lately I guess we saw fish jumping constantly. I was using a snell dual hook set up spaced 8 inches apart eel on top hook and pile worm on bottom hook. We all got into fish with this same set up they bit on the pile but iim sure the eel attracted them to it. Well action has been great this year good luck loofk forward to seeing pics!

Nice job Snishin, I know good things happen when ya dont quit, sounds very familiar to me, except for the ending, but any day:stirthepot:. Congrats on the fish, and a big one to boot..

Bloodthirsty
02-26-2011, 09:10 PM
icemannocal,

That huge hole adjacent to going in the slough should be good and around that bend there is another hole at the next bend.

Angry Sturgeon
02-27-2011, 05:03 PM
icemannocal,

That huge hole adjacent to going in the slough should be good and around that bend there is another hole at the next bend.

Thanks Second chance, Maybe I will give it a try tuesday. Appreciate the info

bassbob
03-10-2011, 06:03 PM
That hole is called "carbody hole" this time of year there can be 50 feet of water over it with a pretty gnarly eddy below it(can be scary in a small boat) I've seen big dinos caught there and I've seen anchors cut off and left,hopelessly fouled in the debris at the bottom.Fish with care here.The Willet brothers will be thereabouts next week If you see us in a red and white MARLIN cuddy stop and say hey.(P.S. eel baby eel):winkfs::winkfs::winkfs:BOB

PTownViper
03-11-2011, 02:34 PM
I agree with Cordodm, stop counting your making it sound to much like work! Just enjoy and your day will come. It's fishing not catching!

Good Luck
PTownviper