PDA

View Full Version : Trout Sure are Picky - So What Guides their Choices?

TroutGhost
02-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Funny how weather conditions, fullish moon, murky water, more water, etc. can change what makes a trout bite. I was throwing out the usual two inch lures but getting no love. Threw out a three incher and got a couple strikes. Then tossed out a gold/orange spoon and got a whole bunch of strikes but no commitment. I knew where the fish were. They just weren't liking my offerings. I thought, ok, downsize, match the hatch for post-rain dead bugs and worms. So I stuck a three inch Berkeley trout worm on a scrounger and that got even less love.

At the end of the day I chatted with a more successful angler and he said they were biting on four inch lures.

Like the ones I brought.
In case the fish had trouble seeing the smaller ones.

Dad... gummit. :wallbash:

ot
02-22-2011, 07:56 PM
troutghost,

I am just trying to learn how to troll but how long do you use a lure with no luck before switching to something new?

OT

TroutGhost
02-22-2011, 08:45 PM
That is a good question. I was just thinking about that and the answer is too long. I think I was giving each lure about a half hour to an hour each.

Perhaps next time I should swap out to different kinds and sizes within twenty minutes?

In any case, I posted this so that someone in the future may benefit from what I learned today. ;)

BulletMan
02-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Several years ago I was bank fishing at Amador with no luck. I could see the schools of fish, but they just wouldn't bite. Thinking like you, I switched from a 1/4 oz. lure to a 1/8 oz. and that did the trick. After talking to an Amador regular, I found out that it wasn't the size of the lure, but the speed of the retrieve. Unknowingly, I brought in the smaller lure much slower that the bigger one because it didn't sink as fast.

I have seen days where the fish wouldn't hit a gold lure, but hammered a chartreuse. Where the guy next to my was filling his stringer with white powerbait and I didn't get a bite with white.

When you figure out how to solve the "choice" problem, please let us know. Until then, just take one of everything. A good rule of thumb - fish fast, fish slow. Fish high, fish low. Change color a lot.

Rich

TroutGhost
02-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks Rich for those wise words. I will remember to vary not only the size but the speed etc.

Guess what? I limited today. :) The only change I made was to fish it faster. It didn't matter whether it was a four inch or two inch lure. They both produced on a faster troll. It's frustrating to know where the fish and not catch them. So it was very pleasant to know where they were AND to catch them.