PDA

View Full Version : Emigrant Wilderness

TheGreatBasshole
02-25-2011, 08:40 AM
I am planning a trip to go fishing in the Emigrant Wilderness, just north of Yosemite. Any tips or pointers for fishing/ backing in that area? we are going for 7 days, and this would be my first backpacking trip.

whaler134
02-25-2011, 10:54 AM
Pack out of Bell Meadows and yu are within 10-12 miles of some good fishing lakes at grouse, chain, deer, and buck.

Have fun!

Jfitalia
02-25-2011, 10:58 AM
I am planning a trip to go fishing in the Emigrant Wilderness, just north of Yosemite. Any tips or pointers for fishing/ backing in that area? we are going for 7 days, and this would be my first backpacking trip.

When are you going?

borntoscout
02-25-2011, 06:09 PM
I have caught fish in Deer, Lower Buck, Wire, and Cow Meadow Lakes. Always heard Emigrant Meadow was good but never fished it. Since that lame biodiversity lawsuit has changed fingerling stocking I would check with DFG for lakes that are still being stocked or have natural reproduction. The best time to go is early in the season when a few snow drifts still block the horsemen. On the higher trails early may mean mid or late July this year if it keeps snowing.

Happy trails

k9mark
02-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Take a bear container for your food unless you want a visitor in your camp/tent.

TheGreatBasshole
02-26-2011, 03:03 PM
I am going on July 2nd through July 9th. I did some research and saw that cherry creek and the creeks connecting lakes are good fishing. I also heard the fishing was quite great.
3811 Here is my route.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/images/styles/TimeTraveler/misc/pencil.png

mrwright
02-27-2011, 10:37 AM
emigrant lake holds some "lunker" fish ! have fun! I go there every year

Dan Clark
02-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Per your map are you starting at bell meadows, if so steep hike up to grouse lake. Might want to consider crabtree camp or gianelli cabin trail heads. Bell meadows is a beautiful place to visit but don't think the trail head is used much anymore.

TheGreatBasshole
02-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Yeah we are starting off at Crabtree. ive also heard good things about grouse lake, what kind of bait should i bring up there??

Jfitalia
02-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Yeah we are starting off at Crabtree. ive also heard good things about grouse lake, what kind of bait should i bring up there??

I always do well with small spinners and kastmasters

TheGreatBasshole
02-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Where have you fished in the Emigrant wilderness? and they sell kastmasters at big5 or walmart, right?

Jfitalia
02-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Where have you fished in the Emigrant wilderness? and they sell kastmasters at big5 or walmart, right?

I don't.... I pack into ones elsewhere and those work great for me. The trout in my profile pic is on a KM. As for where to buy them, Walmart will have your best selection. Just be sure to stick to silver and gold colors.

TheGreatBasshole
02-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks again for the info...is the fishing in those areas of the sierra nevadas as good as they claim to be? because ive heard very good things about pack-in fishing

TheGreatBasshole
03-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Emigrant lake suposedly has big fish. How is fishing gem and Jewelry lake? or Huckleberry?

Treebeard
03-02-2011, 01:15 AM
I took a walk from Leavitt Meadow to Kennedy Meadow once - meandering along with the West Walker, then up into Fremont Lake, over the hills... Grizzly Peak rings a bell... and Brown Bear Pass... somewhere along there was a rainy day with mosquitoes so bad I just about ran away from them like a panicked moose. Anyway, about mid-trip, at High Emigrant Lake (above Emigrant Meadow Lake) there was an inlet stream that was about 2ft deep and 4ft wide, if that...

this was roughly 30 years ago, need a moment to remember the story ;-)...

oh yeah... I thought I had seen motion as I approached the bank of that mighty stream, so I plunked my line down in there, tied it to a rock via a low-hanging branch, then went to go shake a bush. When I got back, found that the line was snagged, so pulled it carefully at first - I like to un-snag without losing hardware whenever possible - and noticed that it felt more like a log-snag than a rock-snag. In a second I stood corrected, and hauled in an 18" rainbow - at the time the biggest trout I'd ever seen. It didn't fight till out of the water, but by then I was already scouting firewood and trying to figure how I was going to fry it in my 9" Boy Scout cook kit's frypan.

I wonder if there are more up there?

:)
TB

TheGreatBasshole
03-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Treebeard, love the story.I hope there are still fattys like that out in the wilderness!

SteelyDon
03-02-2011, 08:56 PM
That's a great loop your going on. You'll find great fish in Upper Buck, Cow meadow & the strem below, the Big E lake and several others. Skeets are brutal that time of year. Do not camp within 200 yards of any standing water or you could spend a whole day in the tent. Have a great time the scenery is awsome( I packed in that Wilderness 5 outta my 10 years of backpacking) Brings back great memories... SD

TheGreatBasshole
03-03-2011, 06:58 AM
Thanks SD, did you fly fish up there?

TheGreatBasshole
06-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Alright, now that my trip is coming up, any last tips?

chexican408
09-22-2011, 08:33 PM
I haven't been to that many lakes in the Emigrant, but I have had success at Bear Lake and Waterhouse Lake. I suggest packing in nightcrawlers. Live bait works best with the wild trout. The inlet and outlet to Bear Lake is good when the water is high...June-Aug. I thought Deer Lake was good. Many in the 12-14 inch range...that was 3 or 4 years ago. Gem Lake can be ok. Jewelry Lake not so much. Camp Lake is empty. I'd like to try Buck Lake and Emigrant Lake since I've heard that they are good.

packfish
06-29-2012, 06:18 PM

I realize this is about one season too late but thought i would throw it out there and see if anyone still lives here//I have been to quite a few of these lakes back in there and good luck with most so if your fly fishing take black knats and anything lookin like mosquitoes, if on rod and reel u cant go wrong with panther martins / kastmaster / roostertails / so anyways how did your trip last year go = where did you get to and what did you catch ?? Me and my son are heading all the way in to Buck Lakes (this time from gianelli`s ; last time was from kennedy ) in about two weeks and staying in there for a week and gonna hit surrounding lakes ( Long/Wire/Deer and of course the Big E) while back in there ; Packing in on a sunday when most are packing out plus it will be right after 4th july week so most people will be home anyways recooperatin` from all that !! Anyways I`m heading into God`s country and hoping he gonna Bless me and my son with some awesome fishing like he has before back in there mm mm mm i can smell it now !!

Treebeard
07-01-2012, 01:11 AM
Yes, fishing can be good in the Emigrant lakes! I've used both worms and grasshoppers there with good results... actually caught an 18" up in the little stream that feeds High Emigrant Lake, but that was a few years back. The mosquitoes can be ferocious up there though, don't know how they are this year but be prepared...

TB