PDA

View Full Version : radio/mp3

junski1986
02-25-2011, 08:30 PM
I wanna put a radio with some nice speakers in my 2008 north river seahawk. has anyone flush mounted speakers in their north river if so post pics also want a water proof radio that can charge an ipod. Will i be able to play the radio when bait fishing without killing the battery?

ReelJerks
02-26-2011, 09:31 AM
I wanna put a radio with some nice speakers in my 2008 north river seahawk. has anyone flush mounted speakers in their north river if so post pics also want a water proof radio that can charge an ipod. Will i be able to play the radio when bait fishing without killing the battery?

I don't have a NR but hey....a boat is a boat. First there are some 'pre-purchase' considerations. Sit inside your boat and visualize where you want the radio, where you want the speakers, where will the 2nd battery and Perko switch go, and where you will run the wires. It can help to use 'Post-It' notes to help with this. You can flush mount your speakers anywhere you have 4" to 6" clearance.
Not all boats have an area for a 'house', (deep cycle) battery. The 'house' battery is essential to having a trouble and worry free day, and ALL your electronics and accessories should be connected here. This way you can have all the fun your heart desires without worry of starting you engine. Stereos & VHF during transmitting are a big draw against your battery. Way more than sonar/gps units.
Bottom line is you should be able to add this accessory without much trouble.

Edd

junski1986
02-26-2011, 09:17 PM
thanks bro i have two batteries and a perko but no deep cycle battery. do i need a two cycle battery?

ReelJerks
02-27-2011, 09:52 AM
thanks bro i have two batteries and a perko but no deep cycle battery. do i need a two cycle battery?

Well....I would think not. You should be good to go once you figure out your mounting and routing. Good luck and don't forget to post up some pics of your progress.

Edd

mytmouse
03-01-2011, 07:29 AM
I missed this post, sorry Junski. I have a 5.5" hole saw I JUST bought from McMaster to install 6" speakers in front of my ft seats in my NR Bayhawk (on the bulkhead about knee high, havent taken pics)
I went with a Fusion Marine setup (take your pick) with their 6" speakers. Has a USB port on the back which is connection/control for ipod. check out their website. You can borrow my hole saw as Im sure I will never need it again, lol.

916towerguy
03-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Depending on what head unit you are looking at. You can get away with a normal car unit. You can usually get a better unit for less money if you buy a standard car unit.

junski1986
03-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Mytmouse can u post pics or i can swing by and see

aquaman
03-03-2011, 05:22 PM
I just ordered the Lowrance Sonic Hub. It has am/fm plus an iPod or iPhone docking station. The entire unit can be hidden because you control it through your Lowrance HDS unit. Also ordered the Sirius antenna. Everything hooks up with NMEA 2k.

burtin163_1
03-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Hi guys,

I too am looking into getting a stereo for my NR. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with a VHF/AM/FM band separator? Thought it would be a nice way to utilize my VHF radio antenna and perhaps get better reception that I would if I bought a separate radio antenna.

Here's the link to one I found at bass pro.
AM/FM/VHF Marine Band Separator (http://www.basspro.com/AM/FM/VHF-Marine-Band-Separator/product/637/-220301)

Kind of expensive but if it works well and doesn't interfere with the VHF, it may be a nice way to go.

ReelJerks
03-24-2011, 07:18 AM
Hi guys,

I too am looking into getting a stereo for my NR. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with a VHF/AM/FM band separator? Thought it would be a nice way to utilize my VHF radio antenna and perhaps get better reception that I would if I bought a separate radio antenna.

Here's the link to one I found at bass pro.
AM/FM/VHF Marine Band Separator (http://www.basspro.com/AM/FM/VHF-Marine-Band-Separator/product/637/-220301)

Kind of expensive but if it works well and doesn't interfere with the VHF, it may be a nice way to go.

They work about as good as a coat hanger. I had great success with the Shakespeare AM/FM antenna, but I also went with Sirius.

Edd