PDA

View Full Version : Traeger Grills???

Reel Fun
03-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Anyone use these and have anything to say about them? I am thinking about getting one?

RF

mytmouse
03-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Smartest thing I have ever done when it comes to cooking/bar-b-q etc. Just scored one on Craigslist 4 months ago or so....Food has NEVER been so good. I paid 200 (STEAL) for a lil tex (welded, not screw together legs)....

Apparently they quit making them in Oregon and have begun assembling in China. So most new one's will be a little less quality. The difference is easy to see, welded on legs or screw on legs (think packaging from china, they had to collapse it, hence the screw/bolt on legs).

There are 2 kinds of thermostats. the standard is a Off/Smoke/Med/High switch, the other is a Smoke/180/200/225 etc all the way up to 400 digital thermostat which gives a lot of control. Upon buying mine I knew I would be getting the digital and did (around 100$)

There are a million videos on youtube. I have done smoked salmon, ribs, brisket, flank steak (family favorite right now), porterhouse, how wings, filet mignon's now all on the traeger in past months. whole Turkey and whole Chicken are next. This is the coolest thing I have bought in a long time. Thumbs up! Search on craigs would be my suggestion.

I hear green mountain grills is another good one.

What is funny, even after the cult following which converted guys from Bar-B-Q to wood pellet smoking, there is now a contingent of folks who are cold smoking with these. I guess there is always another way to cook is the message here.

mytmouse
03-10-2011, 01:41 PM
in fact....

http://modesto.craigslist.org/for/2250751368.html

if all looks good used and its operational I would be on that. 300 with digital control

Reel Fun
03-10-2011, 02:07 PM
in fact....

Traeger - US Made 38 special (http://modesto.craigslist.org/for/2250751368.html)

if all looks good used and its operational I would be on that. 300 with digital control

Thanks Mytmouse.....I saw that one posted this morning and sent him an email with no response yet?? Maybe sold?? I am gonna get one now for sure!!!!!

RF

mytmouse
03-10-2011, 02:29 PM
and in typical Kurt fashion, I jumped in with both feet. within days of buying the grill, I bought the following directly from traeger:

New Thermostat for lid
New Digital Thermostat
1 Bag each of Hickory, Mesquite and Alder
1 salmon spatula
Beef Shake
Salmon Shake
Chicken Rub
Veggie Rub
Sackatchewan Blackened (man this is a good blackened rub)
Prim Rib Rub

There was a couple more I think too for sure....

the key to all my success has been the Digital Probe Thermostat that you put in the meat. Cant mess anything up with on of those. I have learned so much about cooking since buying. I have truly been missing out.

We need to start a local "club" down here to buy pellets in bulk. I have visions of using this year round which woul dlead me to believe all of us can save some money.

Reel Fun
03-10-2011, 03:00 PM
I guess Traeger is making rounds at all the Costco stores selling the BBQ's and pellets......The pellets were $12.99 (20lb bag) in all the flavors.

RF

mytmouse
03-10-2011, 04:18 PM
I guess Traeger is making rounds at all the Costco stores selling the BBQ's and pellets......The pellets were $12.99 (20lb bag) in all the flavors.

RF

that's a good buy on original Traeger pellets. 17.99 a bag at Ace in Roseville. (maybe 19.99)

Duckmanhoov
03-11-2011, 12:16 AM
I've had my for over five years and love it, had to replace the hot-rod once but other than that it's been great. Costco in Manteca sells the pellets cheap, been buying them from ACE in Oakdale for 17.99 a bag.

916towerguy
05-13-2011, 12:06 PM
So I too have been considering the tregger. Do you guys like it for all meats or just some? I have had a few people tell me they don't use there tregger for steaks. I have had chicken and fish from a tregger and you can defiantly tell the difference.

BeefCakeScout
05-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Best grill/smoker I've ever used. $900 for the smoker grill combo. I don't generally buy the traeger pellets for it, but they all work the same.

mytmouse
05-14-2011, 10:24 AM
So I too have been considering the tregger. Do you guys like it for all meats or just some? I have had a few people tell me they don't use there tregger for steaks. I have had chicken and fish from a tregger and you can defiantly tell the difference.

Brisket
Porterhouse
Ribs
Flank
prime rib
2 King Filets (last night, from River last fall). Cooked one filet with butter, Cooked one with Traeger Salmon Shake...Couldnt keep hands off it. It is the way to go Brian. Way until you see all the pellet head web sites. Its a whole new cult following for us.

Check out some Traeger vid's on YouTube...it will NOT take you long to pull the trigger on a traeger. Im always willing to let you try mine out, bring a steak by anytime and I will fire it up. Weber has not had the cover come off since I bought my traeger.

OYD
05-15-2011, 05:41 AM
Just got the local ad for Cabelas and they have a Traeger grill for $699 and there is a $200 instant rebate.

Chrisj
05-15-2011, 06:54 AM
I've owned a Traeger for about 5 years now back when they were made in Oregon. I love it, and I have never had any problems with it. I grill steaks, chicken, fish and vegetables on it, and they come out great! Now the Traegers are made in China, just so you know. Do a Internet search and you will see that they are starting to have problems with there electronics. Good luck!

~Chris

mytmouse
05-16-2011, 09:23 AM
If buying used (why not???) Easy to spot the difference between a China made and US made...The China made have bolt on legs, US made are welded on.

Tyler Foote
05-18-2011, 07:26 PM
are all of their new grills/smokers made offshore?wheres a good place to look for a used one?maybe thats why cabelas is offering 200 bucks to buy one,i use cabelas 7 in 1 smoker and want to upgrade!

mytmouse
05-19-2011, 06:10 AM
Craigslist.....200-300 for a lil tex....sometimes you find the bigger one's on there too. The boys from traeger frequent the "eye fish dot net" board in oregon and quite frankly they say there is no downgrade in being made in China (of course they say this, but has some validity). They are bolt on legs now (instead of welded) simply for shipping. The rest in essence is the same is my understanding. I would look for a few things when buying a used lik tex.

Digital Temp Switch - If its the manual 3 position switch, plan on 100$ to upgrade.
No Rust in chamber or anywhere for that matter
Traeger Thermostat on lid - if not there expect 40$ replacement
Ensure Fan comes on
Ensure Augre Turns
Ensure smoke stack has a cover, if not there expect 20$ and know that rain prolly entered the unit at one time or another.
Ensure Rod gets hot and can create smoke with pellets in firepot (shouldnt take but a minute or two)
Ensure casters are there and rigid
Ensure lid is not out of round - you dont want huge gaps that a gasket wont be able to seal
there are 3 pieces that are removable inside - Grill Grate (self explanatory), Drip Tray (if this wasnt covered with Aluminum Foil for each use then this will be dirty as all get up, expect 30$ for another if yer anal and want a clean drip tray to capture juices) and the heat tray (as i call it, goes over fire pot in bottom of unit, its just a piece of bent shaped steel, needs to be in proper condition is all and im sure it will be, just make sure its there, or yet again another 40)

Thats my tips for buying a traeger used.

Tyler Foote
05-19-2011, 07:28 PM
thanks,your like a used grill salesman,so i will be stuck using traeger pellets?how long will a bag last?

mytmouse
05-20-2011, 10:14 AM
I've only used the traeger pellets, not sure of results with others, I am somewhat skeptical on that subject. Bags last a while, someone out there has a formula.....smoking = x pounds per hour, and Hi = x pounds per hour. i would think that lesser quality wood burns faster and cooler.