PDA

View Full Version : Bon Tempe Sunday 3/13

Fishbucket
03-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Pulled into the parking lot at 7:55.

Met a guy on the trail that was headed out. He asked, " Where do you think you're going?"
I said I'm going fishing and thet he was going the wrong way. " I'm done", he said. "took all of 15 mins"
He wished me luck and i high stepped it to the lake.
At lake side on the trail I could see the "Point" was packed and a couple more guys towards the inside of the cove. So I nabed the second spot in on the trail. Just before the trees on the rise before the right turn to the cove.
Baited up first with the 2 white gulp eggs and a piece of gulp worm. the started casing a gold castmaster.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/theotherbigjoe/FishSnifferpixs/DSC00027.jpg

Did that for a couple hours. Stopped casting and baited up the other rod.
Listening to the guys on the point talk and watching them catch about 4 fish. I heard another ask if he was using Chart. power bait.
I didnt have any of that, so I put on some orange. at 10:05am I had 3 fish on the stringer. :action-smiley-035:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/theotherbigjoe/FishSnifferpixs/DSC00029.jpg

Then it slowed.

The wind started to pick up with some good gusts, the rain started to spit. It didnt start to really rain though.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/theotherbigjoe/FishSnifferpixs/DSC00030.jpg

Heard the guys on the point giving high 5s' and whooping it up about a larger fish on their stringer.

It took another 1 1/2 hours to get the next 2 keepers and one lil 9 inch dinker that went back.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/theotherbigjoe/FishSnifferpixs/DSC00034.jpg

Spinner
03-14-2011, 08:20 AM
I live in Nv. now, but was raised in Marin! Your pics bring back memories! I can remember 40 yrs. ago watching a mountain lion chasing a buck, (swimming), across the lake exactly where you took your pic. Haven't been there in 35 yrs. but it hasn't changed much according to your pics.
We used to fish on the far right side of the point, in your first pic. (it used to be worth the walk, big fish!) Of course there was no powerbait, only " Pautski's Balls of Fire, Salmon eggs, maybe with a little marshmellow or Velvetta Cheese. Boy, those were the days!
Also, the deepest part used to be just between you and that same point, I've seen that lake dry!
Thanks for bringing back the memories!:beer:

Fishbucket
03-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the insite to Bon Tempe, Spinner. Glad you got something outa my trip!

Spinner
03-14-2011, 05:54 PM
I used to catch alot of steelies! in the creek behind the Ross fire Dept. all the way down to College Ave. Used to catch a few salmon in there as well, (back in the day). There were sturgeon and striper further downstream before the canal. Lived there when the canal was build. Saved thousands of young stripers when they blocked the creek, we took our nets and moved fish all weekend. After the canal, came the carp, and from there the fishery crumbled. Except for downstream, below the canal. That's were we caught our stripers and sturg. in fact, we used to catch striper and shad right in the college, we used to climb in the canal and knock em' with spinners.Left there in '71, haven't fished around there since
Yea, I got something from your trip, Thanks

fishwishin
03-14-2011, 06:09 PM
This has turned into a very good thread indeed! Amazing how fishing brings people together and builds memories. Good lookin' fish, you're five trout up on me so far this year!! :thumbsup:
:cool:

9erhater
03-14-2011, 11:14 PM
hey fishbucket were you with two other guys? that was me and a buddy across from you. we both got nice limits. I was the guy landing the bigger fish, and the shorter guy. the old man you talked to on your way in was a riot and a blast to fish with. he was 72 years old and wasnt happy he was done so early, but he really rubbed it in as he cranked in his limit in just under an hour. if that was the guy you are refering to. Ive been fishing that lake for many many years, thats to bad I didnt know it was you, I would of wandered over to meet you guys. it was just a awesome day out, you couldnt beat the weather that day. I caught a limit on your point earlier that week. I talked to most the guys fishing on my way out, they weren't doing as well. so I guess we were just the lucky ones. hope to see ya out there soon.

Fishbucket
03-15-2011, 06:39 AM
I almost went over to you guys to get a look at the big one, when I was packed up.
I'll be sure to do that next time. Never know who you'll meet. :pirate:

I was just there by myself, sitting on my white "fishbucket".
Farther down towards the trailhead. ( from the point, you'd have to look left across the cove....the way the oldman walked out. ) I didnt get to talk to the other guys (next to you on your left)on their way out.
Another guy with a black lab walked by both in and out with nothing.

Was a pretty good morning !

Maybe nexttime, G Nappers wont sleep in from a friday night of dancing:party-smiley-048:and picking up chicks..:gorgeous:

and miss the fishing trip... :music-smiley-019:

:grin:

crazyfisher
03-15-2011, 09:49 AM
good job out there guys...what size was the big fish?

Paul_707
03-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Nice job bucket, so that was you over there, that guy you met is my old buddy Helmet, hes the king of bon tempe in my book, like 9erhater said hes always a riot to fish with, hes probably there more than anyone.. I was one of the guys hootin on the point.. my buddy and i got our limits in a couple hours, my buddy has never fished much so he was pretty excited.. he got a couple nicer ones to maybe 15 inches.. too bad i missed you again.. anywho nows the time to get them little boogers:bananatiedie:

Fishbucket
03-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Way to get your buddy on some fish. It was like the school was going back and forth bettween us. when I was dead you guys were catching and vice versa.

We ought to start Pm'ing each other when we're heading out there. Give a heads up that we might see each other.

9erhater
03-15-2011, 05:56 PM
yes paul you are right it was helmut, I really enjoyed the short time we talked and fished together. funny thing was I got there pretty early and thought I would get to that point first, as I walked over there I see he was setup and already had one. I asked him if he would mind if I fished next to him, as I didnt want him to feel like I was crowding him. he laughed and said thats first time he's heard anyone ask him that in 20 years, and then he said I would like the company and joked that I should hurry and get to fishing as he wouldnt be there to long. I really got a kick out of him, just as I set up he caught one after another. everytime he would swing his fish from the water to the bank he would say " watch out flying fish" then jokingly complained that if he finished up early again he would have to go home and do yardwork. the fish caught were all nice and clean and very heavy. hey fishbucket if I see anyone on a white bucket Ill stop and see if its you. to bad you didnt walk over the fishing really heated up as I finished. it was a hookup every second or third cast I didnt want to hurt any fish so I decided
to leave. I usually dont like to fish the weekends because of the crowds.