PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Cliffs Late 3-11-11 post

RomanFishin
03-16-2011, 01:40 AM
Late Post the wife had me on a schedual doing things for my 5 and 7 year old daughters 2in1 birthday party we were throwing for them on the weekend, Sorry.

Arrived at the lake at 5:00am to be the first one there to make sure I get my spot, and to find out I was the second to this old man, thinking on the way there that no one will come that early. The Gate opens up at 6:00am got to my spot and soon as I toss my 5ft UL phlueger in within a min i see the line start slowly moving out thinking it was a small fish, so I left it alone and casted my 10 ft steelhead rod out and even set the bobber. Then back to the small rod the line wasnt going out anymore and was coming toward me, I set the hook and still not fighting at all, soon as I get it close I saw it was a huge one, and quickly netted the 8lb hog. Then it was total light out and no more bites in close, started casting way out and got 3 more nice ones from 2-3lbs. slowed down around 9:30am and had seen some boaters getting a few out in the middle of the lake. Decided to launch the bait shuttle out to the middle of the lake about 500-600ft out and droped the line. 5-10 min later I fought another 3-3.5lber which started doing dolphine jumps out of the water, I gave me a really good fight on the 10fter had it bent into almost a circle. All fish caught on 6lb premium and hybrid line, and chartuese garlic ali and the last one on Spring Green with 3 white power eggs all dipped in procure, cod oil and procure scents, was done by 10am and back home at 10:30am..

crappieman67
03-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the report and pics.

Ps: if you are out that far with the bait shuttle as you stated, your going to get your rod taken out by a boat and won't have any recousre. That far out in a lake that small is just asking for trouble.
1) if a boat snags your line they won't beable to hear you yelling at them, and if they do they will think you might just have a big fish on
2) there just going to keep going
3) I'm pretty sure it is illegal to use shuttle, IE motorized boat to get you bait out to that point.

I'm just saying, not sure if I'm right on the third item, but I'm pretty sure.

Good Luck

Chris

RomanFishin
03-16-2011, 09:04 AM
Chris I have used it the r/c boat just to drop the line and sinker. It is an angling innovation made only for fishing.. now if I were to use it to chum or something then yes.. I Used it 100 times at shadow cliffs even the rangers were checking it out and only said how cool it was. I dont think it is illegal I have seen others who use some type of boat just to drop there bait in another spot far away. I try to stay around an area where boaters dont troll to much around and most like yourself who knows how to troll dont have a problem. At temescal I have specifically seen on the boards in front no rc boats allowed there. Every lake and place are different just like alot of boaters I see fish in front of the docks when they are supposed to be 100 meters away from the dock according to the ranger at the cliffs, besides im a big boy trouble doesnt really come my way and if it does I'll switch to 100lb spiderwire haha..:):rolleyes2: got a pic of your boat so I know when you troll by i'll reel in the line:)

mojo209
03-16-2011, 09:15 AM
I seen a lot of people use a r/c boat to bring there line out farther especially on the delta DFG has no rule stating they can't use it

crappieman67
03-16-2011, 09:38 AM
No problem Romanfishin, Didn't know if it was legal or not and don't really care just wanted to bring to your attention since it was posted on a website and you never know who's watching. To each his own and a great Idea. It would be good to use that at San pablo, since banking there has sucked over the years

I know how to troll and due my best to stay well away from bank anglers and docks some boaters don't, I would hate see anybody's rod go into the water, exspecialy when Me or other boats are 3 to 400 ft from shore, hell I know I wouldn't beable to here someone yelling at me at that distance,and If I did I would think they just had a monster fish on.

How do you know what my boat looks like :fishing5xd: I'm invisable out there, and I match the water color.

Next time yell and say Hello

Good Luck

Chris

crappieman67
03-16-2011, 09:40 AM
What does R/C stand for, want to look them up

Chris

RomanFishin
03-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Crappieman thanks for the lookout, r/c stands for remote control.

Legalbeagle
03-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Chris I have used it the r/c boat just to drop the line and sinker. It is an angling innovation made only for fishing.. now if I were to use it to chum or something then yes.. I Used it 100 times at shadow cliffs even the rangers were checking it out and only said how cool it was. I dont think it is illegal I have seen others who use some type of boat just to drop there bait in another spot far away. I try to stay around an area where boaters dont troll to much around and most like yourself who knows how to troll dont have a problem. At temescal I have specifically seen on the boards in front no rc boats allowed there. Every lake and place are different just like alot of boaters I see fish in front of the docks when they are supposed to be 100 meters away from the dock according to the ranger at the cliffs, besides im a big boy trouble doesnt really come my way and if it does I'll switch to 100lb spiderwire haha..:):rolleyes2: got a pic of your boat so I know when you troll by i'll reel in the line:)

I've used a raft to drop my bait out when I know it's too shallow close to shore. I don't see how that's much different. If he's bottom fishing, I don't see how that would matter if a boat trolls over it unless that boat's jigging the bottom. On the other hand, if that boat's bait fishing, he shouldn't be there in the first place. That spot is taken.

I think the idea's kind of cool. I need to get an R/C boat.

Legalbeagle
03-16-2011, 12:33 PM
I've used a raft to drop my bait out when I know it's too shallow close to shore. I don't see how that's much different. If he's bottom fishing, I don't see how that would matter if a boat trolls over it unless that boat's jigging the bottom. On the other hand, if that boat's bait fishing, he shouldn't be there in the first place. That spot is taken.

In fact, maybe we need an R/C boat forum. I'd like to see how people are doing it.

RomanFishin
03-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Maybe next time im fishing with it Ill make a video or take some pictures.

crappieman67
03-16-2011, 02:00 PM

I think your missing the point here Legal Beagle, I was just simply stating to romanfishin that if it is Legal great but if it's not than he might just want to edit his post, There's alot of looky lu's out there that just monitor the site for info and to report things like this, they have nothing better to do. I say it's a fantastic idea
I also agree with you and others it's a real cool idea and wouldn't mind trying it out sometime if it's legal and just because one person does it doesn't make it legal.
I also agree with you on it shouldn't be not different than using you kayak or canoe to get your line out there.

As for the bold print above, Have you ever fished SC? If so great. I and many others boater who have fished it for years and that is, if your not bouncing the bottom with your downrigger ball and picking up weeds on the ball than your not picking up fish. I've fished there for many many years and 95% of my fish caught out there are within the 2 ft of the bottom and it doesn't matter what depth your fishing in. Due you see where the problem could occur, it would be no different than jigging the bottom. Now I stay my distance from the bankers due to I now most try to get out as far as possible, many use 8 to 11ft rods and up to 2oz of weight to get it out there. If I didn't know this than I would be within 100 ft of the bankers and that is way, way to close to fish at SC

Chris

RomanFishin
03-16-2011, 02:41 PM
We are all just lookin out for the fellow sniffers aint that right crappieman. I have been snagged by boaters only that fish within the 100 meters from the dock. Not sure if its 100 meters or 100 feet, I heard the ranger tell a boater there they have to be 100 meters away.
I might go fishing tomorrow if the wife lets me, and taking the boat out 1000 ft hehe..

crappieman67
03-16-2011, 02:54 PM
We are all just lookin out for the fellow sniffers aint that right crappieman.

That's right

It's a 100 ft from the bank, SC it should be 200ft

I'll be at Del Valle looking to beat my personal Best, my buddy got a 13lber there last week trolling

Good luck, may hit SC next week.

Chris

RideNfish
03-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Just one example of a bait boat there are many and can get pricey. Some can take out two lines and drop off in separate spots.

Some are built for chumming and others dropping off your line. Seems like the carp guys use them a lot.

example (http://www.aliexpress.com/store/100399/209709136-339919273/JABO-3-Rc-Bait-Boat-2-4G.html)

Video example (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keFzx3DaBj8)

One I saw in use but not remote. He had a fishing rod tied to it permanently and then a down rigger clip to clip his casting rod to. He opened the bail of both rods and steered it by letting the lines of each rod slip through his hands. If he wanted it to go left he just gripped the line a bit on the left side. Once out to his destination he gave a quick yank to the line and the down rigger clip let his bait fall.

First pic the toy boat and second is him running it out. I saw him catch about a 5 lb striper from that "cast" which was just off that point you see out from him. :)

crazyfisher
03-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Maybe next time im fishing with it Ill make a video or take some pictures.

ya if you can...i might have to start using this trick...

I was thinking of maybe trying this method out at Bon Tempe but the regulation states no boat. So does that mean no r/c boat either:

9.02.07 Boating.
No person shall place or operate any boat or
watercraft, including, but not limited to, any
row boat, motor boat, sailboat, raft, kayak,
canoe or seaplane on or in any district reservoir or stream. (Ord. 267 2[part], 1987)

Guess I might have to operate a helicopter then, haha.

mojo209
03-16-2011, 03:09 PM
This is what my friend used but without the bobber to hook up to his rc boat

YouTube - "THE RC FISHING POLE" fits on any RC BOAT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHXeclr8ge0)