PDA

View Full Version : PartyBoat Pet Peeves

Big Game
03-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Since we got some good news about the Salmon Season, thought I would ask a question to the Sniffers out there that frequent PartyBoats like I do for Salmon Fishing. I really enjoy a day on the Ocean. I am lucky in that Sea Sickness has never been an issue for me, but there have been a few times I didn't eat my lunch for a while...

My Partyboat pet peeve is when the Same Guy keeps getting all the bites / fish and continues to fish and fish in the same Damn spot even after his limit. I have been fortunate enough to do pretty well on most ventures in the Ocean and when I have done well I have always shared with a friend or new aquaintence that I met that day - including moving or swapping a HOT spot for a not-so-hot spot. "That" Guy needs to wake the "F" up and have a little more fishing etiquette and share after he is limited
(with Quality Fish, of course).

What are your PartyBoat Pet Peeves?

Big Game

Fishbucket
03-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Mine is when a guy whines all damn day about MY hot spot that I'm suposto share....

:hellohello9il:

actually, when half the boat is chumming at 9 am and the Captain wants to turn back.

slick88
03-16-2011, 01:29 PM
My Partyboat pet peeve is when the Same Guy keeps getting all the bites / fish and continues to fish and fish in the same Damn spot even after his limit. "That" Guy needs to wake the "F" up and have a little more fishing etiquette and share after he is limited
(with Quality Fish, of course).

Big Game

If a guy doesn't move, I don't think it shows lack of etiquette since you are not entitled to his spot. Even though he has limits, on a party boat he has the opportunity to upgrade.

I have never encountered nor heard of anyone considered being discourteous in this scenario.

whitecap
03-16-2011, 02:28 PM
You fish for boat limits on a party boat.If you have a "hot spot" then good for you.This allows you to hi grade your fish,and the guy not so lucky ends up with the rest of your keeper fish.If it wasn't for guys that knew what they were doing to get the boats limits,it would be a long day with a bunch of rookies.And usually the guy that's catching,has good gear and not the boats expensive junk.

Reel Fun
03-16-2011, 02:58 PM
I have only been on a couple party boats.... well one party boat twice (Cal Dawn) and I did notice early birds locking in their spot? As far as pet peeves......It burns my but like a 3 ft flame when guys on one side let out a ton of line and let their hook/sinker end up on my side of the boat and tangle me when I have a hookup. I lost a couple nice Halibut that way...but then again I now just take my boat out there!!!

RF

nayr
03-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Mine would be

The guy who uses braided line and cant seem to understand why he is getting tangled up with everyone else on the other side of the boat(its all about angles buddy)... LET OUT MORE LINE!... Also, I love being one of the first guys there so I have my choice of rail space. And I will smile all day as I "help" another guy fill his limit.....

Favorite boat?
New Easy Rider

Hamachi_Kama
03-16-2011, 03:51 PM
If a guy doesn't move, I don't think it shows lack of etiquette since you are not entitled to his spot. Even though he has limits, on a party boat he has the opportunity to upgrade.

I have never encountered nor heard of anyone considered being discourteous in this scenario.

+1 except for the upgrade part. Unless the Capt. is doing rotations, it's first come, first serve.

My pet peeve is the guy whose had too much to drink and is being a hazard to himself and others. Most all other annoyances and distactions, I just ignore them and fish....They don't call them "cattle boats" for nothing. And if you think etiquitte is bad when salmon fishin, try open party albacore fishin.....talk about crazy! Crazy fun, for sure.

MoMoney
03-16-2011, 04:03 PM
Only did the party boat thing 1 time in last 10 plus years as Ive always had a boat but I think you gotta be flexible and roll with the punches when your with that many people that you dont know that may or may not know what they are doin and may or may not be courteous.

Big Game
03-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Oh, I'm out there...."Lurking" guys......you better believe that.
Keep em' comin......

Just trying to keep my head from "Splodin" right now......

I asked....you are delivering......Thanks for your opinions.

I will debrief when we slow down. Actually... I might ROAST you....(in fun only)

Big Game

Full Monte
03-17-2011, 08:00 AM
I didn't think "high-grading" was legal. Isn't it the law that once you have caught your limit, you are not supposed to fish any more? If that's true, the hot spot on the rail would automatically become available.

slick88
03-17-2011, 09:35 AM
I didn't think "high-grading" was legal. Isn't it the law that once you have caught your limit, you are not supposed to fish any more? If that's true, the hot spot on the rail would automatically become available.

In this case, the BOAT has not reached limits. Thus no party boat captain would tell a paying customer to stop fishing and give up his spot because that customer already had his limits if the boat hadn't reached limits yet.

Fish_R_Us
03-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Another Salmon Boat Pet Peeve,

The guy on the bow who's running a shallow or medium depth rig. That's a
guaranteed snag city for others running deeper on the sides and stern. Then after snagging up and untangling the mess, he does it again.

bpfishnon
03-17-2011, 01:30 PM
As a former captain, tangles are caused by different line diameters and different weights! It is helpful for the guys on the bow to stay shallow thus less drag in the water; leading to less of a chance to drift into the stern. My 2 cents, if you have caught your limit, get off the rail. DFG should book trips on these boats who allow such fishing and ticket fisherman and captain! Play fair, play nice! My best advice is to call and ask the captain what kind of gear he prefers ie: line diameter and size weights they like to use and try to match! Their drift or troll is dictated by this! They know their boat! Work with them and they will work with you! Also a tip goes a long way, especially to the deckhands who run the rail!

Big Game
03-17-2011, 02:19 PM
As a former captain, tangles are caused by different line diameters and different weights! It is helpful for the guys on the bow to stay shallow thus less drag in the water; leading to less of a chance to drift into the stern. My 2 cents, if you have caught your limit, get off the rail. DFG should book trips on these boats who allow such fishing and ticket fisherman and captain! Play fair, play nice! My best advice is to call and ask the captain what kind of gear he prefers ie: line diameter and size weights they like to use and try to match! Their drift or troll is dictated by this! They know their boat! Work with them and they will work with you! Also a tip goes a long way, especially to the deckhands who run the rail!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU former Skipper,
I was starting to think I was all alone here. :worthy:
Happy St. Patties Day Sniffers! Big Game

Big Game
03-22-2011, 12:56 PM
+1 except for the upgrade part. Unless the Capt. is doing rotations, it's first come, first serve.

My pet peeve is the guy whose had too much to drink and is being a hazard to himself and others. Most all other annoyances and distactions, I just ignore them and fish....They don't call them "cattle boats" for nothing. And if you think etiquitte is bad when salmon fishin, try open party albacore fishin.....talk about crazy! Crazy fun, for sure.

HK, If you're the guy that has caught SEVEN Salmon - THAT'S WHY I'M DRINKIN!!! (LOL)
Seriously, no one enjoys a sloppy sailor - and I've seen many in my 30 years of partyboats.
Yes, I Albacore as well, and I have been there on 100 Fish days and it's a blast. I actually like doing the "slide" much better than the "wait". I Love Albacore when they are in. Mooooo.........

FB - sorry about the "Wining" :wine1:

Slick and White Cap, I apologize for being wound a little too tight, maybe I am being a bit unrealistic and I guess it is NOT a rule that you have to quit after your (2) Limit.
I have Never seen a skipper ask someone to "move" or "quit" fishing.

BP, RF, NAYR, FRUS, MO, FM, Thanks for the input, it is greatly appreciated.

I guess what I am saying is for me anyway - Fish #1 - I am stoked that I am going home with something to BBQ! Fish #2 - I am looking for the Playmate with the Cold Ones.
Fish #3 - my buddy is reeling it in. If no buddy is with me I'm lookin' for a Kid or someone that has been nice to me that day to make their day. But that's just me.

Favorite Boat - El Dorado I, II and III, Skippers Fast Eddie Gallia Joe and Robert Gallia

Tight Lines! We will see you out there! Big Game

sethonious
03-29-2011, 03:32 PM
My biggest pet peeve is the guy who drinks too much. I have seen grown men pass out and wet themselves on party boats. Do you really need to pound the JD before we even get out of the harbor?

slick88
03-29-2011, 09:44 PM
My biggest pet peeve is the guy who drinks too much. I have seen grown men pass out and wet themselves on party boats. Do you really need to pound the JD before we even get out of the harbor?

I remember one salmon trip where a guy pounded about a dozen Budweisers by the time we got to Duxbury and passed out. Dude paid $90 + license fee + rental rod fee for a long nap on a boat.

Fishmeister
03-30-2011, 08:15 AM
My pet pieve is when you are out fishing, especially in the bay, and you catch one and the party boats come rushing over and drop right in your drift and force you to move.

Winddog
03-30-2011, 10:17 AM
My pet pieve is when you are out fishing, especially in the bay, and you catch one and the party boats come rushing over and drop right in your drift and force you to move.

+1 Top on my list too!

Paul_707
03-31-2011, 12:09 PM
IMHO.. as long as people can count their setup to the right depth and not get tangled with eachother its fine.. what more can you ask for..

fish4les
04-01-2011, 09:35 AM
I don't like it when a small group brings their portable stereo and cranks up the music. I realize its a "Party Boat" but its for fishing.

Toxic_Waste
04-02-2011, 10:38 PM
I have generally had good experiences on party boats, and those deckhands really earn whatever tips they manage to receive. But this is about pet peeves, so I'll throw one into the pot.

I hate it when a boat is way overbooked and people are elbow to elbow. It's tangle city and also no fun when the people next to you are heaving and retching all over! lol

Barleycorn
04-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Working as senior deckhand with the Smith clan, long range and alaska for over 20 years, I'd have to say my pet peeves are whining customers who want to know why the fish wont bite. "Can we go to the spot where you guys killed them last year"? "Is your fish finder working"? "The fishing report said you guys were killing em last week". Also, most of the time it's the private boats that seem to follow the charter boats around, not the reverse. At least that's how the Smiths fish. They are not what we call "fleet fisherman" like some of the other captains out there. Just make sure you get a nice crew and not a deckhand that yells at you all day. I've seen tons of crews that were terrible with people and you can't do that IMO if you want to build a business. Who wants to pay $100 to get *****ed out, not me. I've always made sure I treat the people with respect and understanding when I'm decking, even when it's wide open fishing out there. My 2 cents gang

Hamachi_Kama
04-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Working as senior deckhand with the Smith clan, long range and alaska for over 20 years, I'd have to say my pet peeves are whining customers who want to know why the fish wont bite. "Can we go to the spot where you guys killed them last year"? "Is your fish finder working"? "The fishing report said you guys were killing em last week".

I can relate. Some should just try it on their own to see how difficult it really is. The party boat angler only needs to show up and wet a line. Run your own boat, try to find fish and then catch fish.......the hard work is done by boat and crew. And it doesn't always amount to incredible fishing. I sometimes think that there's an unrealistic perspective by anglers. Buying ticket on an open party boat is no guarantee, but it sure makes it easy to try and catch....and a heck of alot cheaper, in time, money, blood and sweat.

Make sure you tip Capt. and Crew if they were there for you.

Fishbucket
04-18-2011, 12:09 PM
and not a deckhand that yells at you all day.

Really?? that happens?...

That would be the fastest way for a loudmouth to go for a swim in my book.