PDA

View Full Version : Trolling for Salmon

jsantin
03-20-2011, 01:59 PM
About 20 years ago I spent a lot of time trolling for salmon with my grandfather and now that we have the opportunity again, I have a few questions from folks that know.

First, we used to use the brass weight release spring systems and thus would loose a 2lb. ball with each hit. Since my boat does not currently have downriggers, what suggestions for gear/rigs do you recommend to get the bait down? Are they pretty accurate with depth? Any suggestions, appreciated!

Second, we use to use either straight herring or herring with a hoochie. Since it's been so long since I've trolled for salmon, what other type of lures/gear should I start shopping for to add to my assortment?

Last, years ago we didn't have the regulations with barbless hooks, single hooks, etc that we have now. Are there any sources I should be looking into about preparing rigs for the year.

Again, any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
John

MoMoney
03-20-2011, 09:22 PM
I dont have riggers on my current boat and dont fish enough for salmon to put em on so we use the dog whistles with 2.5 or 3lb balls.I have line counters that I sometime use instead of counting pulls.Apex,RSK,Fbr and hootchies,crowbars are all still used.Our tackle has evolved and changed over the years but the fish are still fish and can be caught on the same tackle you used years back.You can pick up a few apex and baitholders(FBR and RSK) in chartreuse and watermelon colors and some "Purple haze" hoochies and youll have 90% of what everyone else is using.Hopefully we will get some fish at depths we can fish without riggers this year.Good luck!!

Big Game
03-21-2011, 09:17 AM
JS,

Mo is right on. My boat doesn't get salty, so I am a partyboater when I want Ocean Salmon. "We", "They" are still using the old traditional stuff, a Heavy weight, sinker release, etc....One innovation I have is a release made by "Fish Laser" and it is a combo
attractor / sinker release and it works pretty good - you should try one. Also, I think the bait my boats use are Anchovies, but maybe Herring also works. Use 25lb main line and a lighter Fluorocarbon leader if fishing gets tough - you will get more strikes. :fishing5:

Tight Lines, Big Game

jsantin
03-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks Guys...

I was hoping things have evolved rather than dumping lead with every hit. A friend recommended using the Deep Sixes but years ago, they were'nt to accurate or sometimes didn't release upon hits.

Big Game
03-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Les Davis DEEP SIX? I remeber those! I used to sell fishing gear.
I have no experience with them honestly.
Good ol' 3 pounder will still do the trick. Maybe some Scent -

Big Game

MoMoney
03-22-2011, 07:02 AM
I did have a friend onboard once who used one of those deep diving contraptions and he got a 30lb er.The problem is Im not sure how you know how deep your going.But heck its worth a try!

elgallo
03-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Heavy duty Meat poles are the way to go if you dont want to lose the weight.

Fishmeister
03-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Deep Sixes, Dipsey Divers and others work very well. Their line size, distance out depth charts are more accurate to depths than anything other than a downrigger. My brother lives in Oregon and that crowd pretty much all use the Deep Six to get down.

Big Game
03-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Good Deal. Thanks for the tips FM. Well there you have it JS.
Guys - check out this site some time for fishing Gear - maybe you already know...
Fish307.com - lots of cool stuff.

Out. Big Game

jsantin
03-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Deep Sixes, Dipsey Divers and others work very well. Their line size, distance out depth charts are more accurate to depths than anything other than a downrigger. My brother lives in Oregon and that crowd pretty much all use the Deep Six to get down.

Fishmeister. Thank you for the response. I'll start doing some research for those items and play with them a bit as soon as we get out.

Seon
03-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Well I read that the Salmon season starts on April 2nd at Sonoma coast. I too haven't trolled for Salmon out in the "Blue" since the 70's. I'd like to try trolling for Salmon this year and I have a couple of saltwater downriggers from my previous boats that I'll mount on my boat so I won't have to drop lead balls down the drink.
It'd be nice if a group of Sniffers all troll on the same day.