PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Lake

glt
03-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Planning a trip to Cherry Lake for the first time at the end of May. Was wondering if anyone has been there or could offer any tips?

ryanerb
03-20-2011, 11:45 PM
here is another thread out of many:
http://www.fishsniffer.com/f21/cherry-lake-reports-tips-advice-79485/

and here is a google search of cherry lake on fishsniffer:
"cherry lake" site:fishsniffer.com - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=%22cherry+lake%22+site%3Afishsniffer.com)

if you got a few more questions, just let us know, i'm sure people are happy to help :)

be sure to take lots of pics, and post them up!

Ryan O
03-21-2011, 08:38 AM
There's sometimes moving water from Eleanor, about a mile up from the dam, if the water is moving I would hang out there. If it's not swirling it's still a good area. I usually see log jams up by the inlet but it's a ways without a boat. Someone on these boards caught a 24 inch rainbow a couple years ago from shore, I believe on a spinner. My uncle caught a beautiful bright red 20 inch bow from a float tube in that swirling water from Eleanor using a worm. Let us know how you did, I tried to bring a boat in from Sonora back in Feb. and for the 2nd time in 3 years didn't make it all the way in. One day I'll learn my lesson.

Yosemite Sam
03-21-2011, 08:50 AM
If you have a boat go up to the inlet where the river dumps into the lake. Troll both sides with flashers and worms or lures. Then you can tie up the boat and walk up the river on the right side facing the river and fish a pretty good size pool. (depending what the river flows are) Just cast onto the pool with worms or small lures.

No boat.............try fishing off the dam.

Good luck and let us know how you did.

YS

Black Hawk
03-21-2011, 08:01 PM
I go to Cherry Lake every summer to camp. I don't own a boat so need to work the shore. The fishing for me has been hit and miss there before. Anywhere you see water flowing into the lake is your best bet. I once came across a huge school of trout near an inflow and limited out in less than an hour.

bigb08
03-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Hit and miss is mostly the word Ive heard. With these storms there still might be snow up there in may. Beautiful lake.

dano
03-25-2011, 09:05 AM
I've been snowed on there big time on Memorial weekend. Haven't Been there in years, but it was always fun. My oldest daughter and her family camped there last summer. It was great camping and the kids had a blast, but the pearch had taken over the lake. They didn't fish the back of the lake though.

Raider925
05-31-2011, 09:28 PM
anyone make it to Cherry lately?

I still see its not on the fish planting list. I emailed DFG last year and they said they havent performed their study yet. I wonder if thats still the case this year?

conrad89
05-31-2011, 10:53 PM
I fished there last year in the dead of summer (Aug). All the fish were holding deep at that point. Caught 6 or so in a couple hours... trolling needlefish.

I didnt see any perch but there were tons of blue gill/pumpkinseed fish everywhere. They would literally come up and bite your toes in the clear water.

Black Hawk
06-02-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm heading up there this weekend for a camping trip. Going to be interesting with the big storm rolling in. Last year was pretty so-so. Hopefully it will be better this year.

davefish
06-02-2011, 12:14 PM
i just went backpacking there this last weekend. a friend of mine was the only one to catch a fish! we were on the east side of the lake about a mile and half from the dam, on our way back on monday. i blame the lack of action on the weather. we were getting light rain and hail for half an hour, then it would clear up, then it would do it again. it was like that all weekend

16", about 2 lbs. it was caught on a pink roostertail

Black Hawk
06-11-2011, 10:57 AM
I just got back from a week of camping up at cherry. There was 5 of us and we only caught 4 fish total. The fishing is really tough there now, even compared to a couple of years ago. All our fish were caught on night crawlers under bobbers.