PDA

View Full Version : AM/FM radio antenna

burtin163_1
03-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Hi guys,
Trying to find out which antenna would give me the best reception for my radio. The options out there are crazy and vary from a few bucks up to a hundred bucks. Are there any makes and models that people have been happy with that they are willing to share their experiences with? Saw some types that stick to the window of the boat, others that are hidden (looks like a wire that you conceal), others that allow you to hook up to your existing VHF radio via a splitter. Any suggestions/help is much appreciated.

FishWisher
03-28-2011, 06:10 AM
I've used the stick-on-window types my last two boats, and they both worked great as they amplify the signal. Also, with the 12v left on while parked, the tiny red LED light likely makes would-be thieves think it's a burglar alarm/sensor. Reception has been grand for me on both AM and FM.

And just $13 at Defender:
Amplified AM/FM Antenna (http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|344|295760|320661&id=1015653)

ReelJerks
03-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Your decision will be largely influenced by WHERE you will be fishing/boating.

I mainly fish the mountain to lower mountain lakes so I went with the Shakespeare 8' fiberglass antenna which offered good performance for both AM and FM. But because of my music preference I ended up changing to Sirius. Very happy.

Edd

FishWisher
03-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Roger that, Edd! I have XM from the old Roady-1 days and it's still working fine. I listen to it on the radio (boom box) in the house, then take it with me on the boat and the coach as both have the cradles and are hard wired through the FM radio. I listen to XM 95% of the time I'm fishing. Have enjoyed XM in 44 states aboard the motor home, too.

No commercials, and any kind of music one likes is available.

ReelJerks
03-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Without doubt Dale it IS the best way. Don't know how to fish without my Sinatra fix. Some days the fish even like Rock-'N-Roll on the Bluesy side.

Edd

burtin163_1
03-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the advice guys!