PDA

View Full Version : To fish another day

Depope
08-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Checked weather forcast last night and this morning, looked fair.Left the dock at Bodega at 6am heading north in a 20' Skipjack.No waves crashing on the rock left of the point always a good sign. A little foggy but not bad with GPS. Headed past the point and out towards the bouy our usual turning point to head north for rock fishing still not bad. Just past Muscle point the swells were increasing and getting closer. On top of that the wind had increased. Needless to say we were getting a bronco ride and our speed was reduced to 6-8 kts. Not a great ride or gut feeling.G-whiz relatively new to the ocean as a skipper was getting the white knuckle syndrome. Little did he know I was already there. When he asked what I thought I said in a calm voice lets get the @#@#* out of here. We waited for our wave to turn around made a hard left and headed back. On the way back fog started to sock in. Thanks for GPS and track lines we made it back safe. When back and cleaning the boat G-whiz asked a great Question. When do you decide to call it? My reply was easy. When I don't feel safe. Live to fish another day, and have fun while your doing it. I would much rather be out with a skipper that doesn't allow his ego to get in the way. Thanks for turning around G-whiz I had a great and safe day.

G-whiz
08-17-2007, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the posting, Dan. I was feeling like a weenie, throwing in the towel. But, as a relative, new comer, I think you need to know what the limits are (boat and capt.). I was out of my league when it started blowing, getting 4/6 @ 4 seconds and no visibility. Just not safe. I'd say you're always better off knowing what your limit is and head back to the dock to fish another day. Day's like yesterday are good to experience, to give you the "hands on" you need, for when you are out... and the ocean turns upside-down twenty miles from the dock. It is hard to put the "ego" aside when you are learning to become an "old salt". But, I guess the "salt's" become "old" by learning to pay attention to "old salts" when they share their wisdom. Hence... learning from someones wisdom is less painful than learning from a painful experience. (hey, I just made that up)
Let's go fishing!

Rock_Hopper
08-17-2007, 06:47 AM
GREAT posts, fellas.

SturgeonVirgin
08-17-2007, 07:18 AM
Good call you guys made; its your life out there, and people do die trying tp push it, you made the right call. If you are not comfortable out there, go back in.

4/6 @ 4 sec w/ no vis, I'm going back in!

ot
08-17-2007, 07:47 AM
Great call you guys, it is always hard to make that call. At times I don't want to disappoint the ones that I am taking out but I want to make sure they are safe too. Also from what I read about Bodega or "Blow-dega", it is a hard place to go out and return from.

OT