PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Halibut?

MoMoney
04-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Well I know Salmon is coming online but not ready to head out the gate till I hear some reports but am willing to do some south bay halibut scouting.Its early,its muddy but am gonna give it a shot anyways.Havent wet a line in 8 months and I can take a day off so we will see!!Might have a spot if someones interested have offered to 3 regulars and havent heard back from any yet.Warning just may be a long boat ride if fish arent ready yet but if the trolling becomes to boring will try for some sharks.

Reel Fun
04-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Gonna be windy!!!.......Good luck!!!

RF

fishing925
04-03-2011, 01:40 AM
Just got your message, let me know how you do out there.

MoMoney
04-04-2011, 06:28 AM
Well put up a big fat goose egg on our scorecard yesterday.After running boat last weekend on the river thought everything was a go.Launched at SL at 7am boat wouldnt start after 5 tries of only click click it turned over and ran.Either starter going out or bad connection.Since I was with my long time buddy and not anyone new we decided we could probably get it going if it happened again and we did have a kicker so we were going fishing!Ran over to OP and trolled the incoming for nada we tried till about 1 or 1:30.I wanted to fish the outgo at the rockwall but I was worrying about that stupid starter and didnt want to use up any of its useful life so decided against it.We tried anchoring out by the ship channel off of OP and we couldnt even get a bite from a shark or ray or anything.Weather was beautiful the breeze kicked in around 130 but was a welcome addition to the nice sunny day.Anyways boat started fine and ran back to dock,will find problem with the boat this week and try again. PS I dont reccomend anyone leaving the dock with a problem like I just had.It makes you worry all day and might end up much worse.I will say I have never been towed in,Am able to fix every part of my boat and do carry tools on board.That being said we got lucky!!

Polebrother
04-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the report. Like others I've been wondering if the butts are here just waiting for someone to come after them. Water and weather conditions I'm sure have been a factor in the scarcity of butts in the bay so far this year. Just checked my fishing notes from last year...our first hali outing was Saturday April 17...4 keepers to 8 lbs for three anglers. Trolled again April 22 for 7 keepers to 15 lbs and our final April trip last year was on the 25th--landed 4 keepers to 11 lbs. All fish taken on the troll...that's how we roll. So, I'm guessing/hoping the flatties will soon show in respectable numbers. I'm ready for that! Lastly, good advice MoMoney on not taking chances with equipment known to be faulty.