PDA

View Full Version : San Pablo Bay Mud flats

kickinbass
04-09-2011, 09:47 PM
I have a 12 foot Klammath i want to launch at Bucks landing or the Petaluma river. Do you think that this is a big enough boat/safe for SPB? Do i need a depth finder out there? Dont want ot get stuck in the mud...thanks in advance for any advice.

Fishbutt21
04-10-2011, 07:36 AM
A 12 footer is ok for trips in the river or if you stay close to shore but the wind can whip up the bay fast for a small boat,I fished out of a 14ft jon for many years but if any wind started I had to run for cover. If you don't have a depth finder you will get stuck even in a small boat unless you go with someone that can show you all of the unmarked channels that criss cross the flats.
Good luck and be safe

kickinbass
04-10-2011, 11:08 AM
A 12 footer is ok for trips in the river or if you stay close to shore but the wind can whip up the bay fast for a small boat,I fished out of a 14ft jon for many years but if any wind started I had to run for cover. If you don't have a depth finder you will get stuck even in a small boat unless you go with someone that can show you all of the unmarked channels that criss cross the flats.
Good luck and be safe

Thanks for the input. So no marked channels out there huh? I hear you on the wind...changes on a dime and get nasty quick. Good for nothing when it comes to fishing if you ask me....maybe even in general?

Fern-dog
04-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Kicken ........
Not wanting to sound like a smart ass here, but remember the line in the movie "Jaws", when the shark comes up out of the water to show it's self and the Sheriff says ... "Ahh, I think we're gonna need a bigger boat" ?
Well, use that line here when it comes to that 12 footer and SPB. That bay can get ugly fast, and I mean fast and it's the wrong place to be with little to no boat under you !!! Be safe, get a bigger boat, hitch a ride, get on a charter or stay up in the rivers. Just hate to see or here anything bad happening to you out on the bay. Good look and fish smart !!! :captjack:

Fern-Dog

kickinbass
04-10-2011, 07:47 PM
ya, if i launched into the main SP bay it would have to be greasy slick, no wind, no chop. But i agree 12 ft makes me uncomfortable, i know how quick it can change out there. Thanks for the input.

ikiller
05-01-2011, 08:15 PM
I do it all the time, you just have to pick your days and learn your boat, and have/wear your safety gear. It took me a couple of years to get reasonably comfortable in my setup, start slow and be prepared for the worst. I bring an anchor and full sized oars. Make sure you have enough power, and don't go too far out if the weather is unsettled or the tides are strong. The wind will really start to rip in the afternoons of nice days, but the tides can also rip really hard. I used to run a 3.5 hp motor and that was not enough to make headway against a strong wind and tide combo (currently using a '48 mercury 7.5 hp). I hand launch and usually don't go too far out.

You can go without a depth finder, but make sure you check the tides otherwise you can quickly get stuck in the flats. There is a marked channel that leads from bucks landing (white poles) towards China Camp, but during low tides you'll have trouble getting in/out of bucks. If you are hand launching you have more options around the bay. I can usually get my boat out in about a foot of water when I pack light.

kromebrite
05-10-2011, 11:24 AM
My opinion is that I would probably feel Ok to be out by marker 19 or something by the mouth of Petaluma, but much further would be risky and possibly life-endangering. The kriggador would even be too far out imo. No way the pumphouse or markers 5, 7, 9 etc. When that wind kicks up you have to be heading in and unless you are in a 13-14 foot whaler that has a 40 hp on the back or something on that order you will risk not making it. You may be able to stick close to shore and hit by Snoma creek. If you hand launch you could hit China Camp area, but not far out.
I have been out in an 18 foot when it became too sporty for my taste.