PDA

View Full Version : Making Hot Sauce

Steve079
04-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Made a couple batches of Hot sauce. One I smoked the peppers and used Serrano, Habenero, Thai, and Pequin, the other I just used Serrano.

The smoked Peppers came out tasting like a Chilpolte (smoked Jalapeno) , but with substantially more heat.

Barrels ready

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z100/skhardwoods/Olives%202010/IMG_0013.jpg

Peppers and Tomatoes

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z100/skhardwoods/Olives%202010/IMG_0014.jpg

Cooked up and Pureed

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z100/skhardwoods/Olives%202010/IMG_0015.jpg

All Ready!

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z100/skhardwoods/Olives%202010/IMG_0012.jpg

The Serrano /Habanero has some serious heat, great flavor, but too hot for me to eat too much of. I had to dilute it down, but not until I gave my friends all a sample.;)

CRABBY
04-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Man that stuff looks good,makin me sweat already,don't give Okie the recipe or he'll go crazy..LOL..Don

oldfisherman
04-12-2011, 11:16 AM
I like to use a combo of serrano and jalapeno peppers grilled and them put into the blender with just enough vinegar to make it liquid. Add Salt to taste and freeze in ice cube trays then store in freezer bags. It comes out too hot for many but it suits my taste buds fine.

okie
04-12-2011, 06:46 PM
those homemade sauces look delicious. i have some store bought that makes
tabasco taste like vanilla icecream. it lives up to that old saying, 'a little
dab will do you'. when i was working in Taiwan, a made a 2.5 gal pot of chili,
found i only had to chili peppers to put in it so i used a plastic picnic spoon
like a teaspoon of this hotsauce and you knew the chili had 'chilis' in it, it
was still too hot for most of the Chinese and Americans.
dont have a smoker anymore, so i'll try older fishermans receipe. after i get a chance
to make it and try it, i'll post my opinion on it. thanks for the receipes guys.
be safe

GoodBaitGirl
04-12-2011, 09:38 PM
those homemade sauces look delicious. i have some store bought that makes
tabasco taste like vanilla icecream. it lives up to that old saying, 'a little
dab will do you'. when i was working in Taiwan, a made a 2.5 gal pot of chili,
found i only had to chili peppers to put in it so i used a plastic picnic spoon
like a teaspoon of this hotsauce and you knew the chili had 'chilis' in it, it
was still too hot for most of the Chinese and Americans.
dont have a smoker anymore, so i'll try older fishermans receipe. after i get a chance
to make it and try it, i'll post my opinion on it. thanks for the receipes guys.
be safe

Brylcream....you just dated yourself Okie! Brylcreem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brylcreem)

okie
04-13-2011, 06:46 AM
gbg, i really didn't think you were old enough to know that, judging by
your looks, time has been really kind to you. do you remember coke
in the little wax bottles or candy cigarettes?

GoodBaitGirl
04-13-2011, 11:18 AM
gbg, i really didn't think you were old enough to know that, judging by
your looks, time has been really kind to you. do you remember coke
in the little wax bottles or candy cigarettes?

Thank you Okie. I'll take that as a compliment since we have met....either that or when was your last eye exam?

I do remember wax bottles and candy cigarettes...and candy necklaces and candy dots on paper....and gimp! Remember gimp?

:signs525gx:

Sorry to hijack your hot sauce thread, Steve....that stuff looks very tastey! Do you sell it? I put hot sauce on my pasta and rice.

BeefCakeScout
04-13-2011, 01:09 PM
It is my humble opinion, that haot sauce should have its very own forum. And yours can be the first recipe added.

with mine coming in second:cheesy:

Steve079
04-14-2011, 06:11 AM
Sorry to hijack your hot sauce thread, Steve....that stuff looks very tastey! Do you sell it? I put hot sauce on my pasta and rice.

Nah. It's just something to do. I do get a kick out of watching peoples faces when they try it. First few seconds, there is very little heat. Since there is very little vinegar, you don't get the tip of the tongue burn. It takes a second or two, with some milk on standby, and POW!

People who like hot foods know, the heat is addicting....

One guy suggested that instead of a 16 to one, ratio of peppers to tomato, it should of been a 1:2 ratio, peppers to tomato.

It is my humble opinion, that haot sauce should have its very own forum. And yours can be the first recipe added.

with mine coming in second

Cool , can't wait to see yours. I've only made two batches, so I am curious what other people use, spice wise, to create subtle flavors in the sauce. My favorite commercial sauce's is Taco Bells Fire sauce, and Sriracha.

CrappieJed
04-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Steve your sauce looks delicious...the hottest sauce you can buy is called Dave's anyone ever heard of that one...thats sauce is hotter:boese0500gp: then a runaway goat in pepper patch...i was at pot belly deli in Napa and i put just few drops on a chili dog and it took my breath i couldn't eat it and i can eat anything...uh Don?

Steve079
04-14-2011, 06:24 PM
I think that might be Dave's Insanity Hot Sauce... I think they have amplified the capsicum levels in that sauce. I like the hot stuff, but I want to be able to taste something during and after...:rotfl2:

okie
04-14-2011, 08:15 PM
steve, srirachi is what i put on my pizza, and that is what i put
on my meatballs to give them a spicy and delicious flavor.

there are a couple of DAVES INSANITY, i used to have a bottle
of it, also ENDORPHINS RUSH is another real hot sauce, you get a taste
of a delicious flavor then your mouth goes numb.

there is sauces available that is hotter than the ones mentioned, but
i'd rather not destroy my taste buds.
be safe

CrappieJed
04-14-2011, 09:01 PM
what kind of peppers does Dave use to get it that hot...honestly i can handle really hot sauces...this Dave's stuff i had was POISON made me:angry: ruin my chili dog, really what ever i had should be again the law

Steve079
04-14-2011, 09:33 PM
I don't know what they are. I watched a show about these wing joints, that serve the wings with spaces from mild to so hot you must sign a waver before you eat them. The owner had a plastic container with an long eye dropper; it contained what must of been pure capsicum, it just took a couple drops added to a sauce to make it near inedible.

My guess would be if you took a dozen habeneros, smoked a third of them, (in a smoker, of course) and cooked those down, pureed them, that should be hot enough to do ya.

I'm going to try it, I'll let you know.

nayr
04-15-2011, 07:16 PM
so I am curious what other people use, spice wise, to create subtle flavors in the sauce.
My lady uses tomatillos instead of tomatoes.... green hot sauce... yummm

CrappieJed
04-15-2011, 07:27 PM
I don't know what they are. I watched a show about these wing joints, that serve the wings with spaces from mild to so hot you must sign a waver before you eat them. The owner had a plastic container with an long eye dropper; it contained what must of been pure capsicum, it just took a couple drops added to a sauce to make it near inedible.

My guess would be if you took a dozen habeneros, smoked a third of them, (in a smoker, of course) and cooked those down, pureed them, that should be hot enough to do ya.

I'm going to try it, I'll let you know.
i just wonder if its even a pepper could be a chemical of sorts

okie
04-16-2011, 05:28 AM
i did the 'buffalo wild wings' blazin challenge. you eat 12 wings in less than 3 minutes
you get a t-shirt and your pic on the wall. you have to sign a waiver before you
try it releasing them from any liability for damages from eating them. i asked them
why the waiver and they said some woman sued them because it blistered her mouth.
i ate them in 2 mins 32 secs. mouth didnt burn, skin around my mouth did like fire.
if you like spicy, try them.
be safe

Steve079
04-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Well, we ate up that last quart I made of sauce, I stopped in our local green grocer and bought more peppers then I have in my life. I'm about to put about a third of them on the grill for a little smoke. Once I get all the peppers smoked , cooked and blended up, I have plans to take that base sauce, and try a few different variations. I got some mango's, cillantro, a LOT of garlic.

Trying to zero in on that perfect combo, with good flavor, and just enough heat to hold your attention.:cheesy:

nat pagle
04-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Steve, where do you get those bottles? How long will your sauce keep like that?

I've got a bunch of bell, jalapeno, and habanero seedlings that I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do with all the fruit in a couple of months :D

Thanks! :)

--edit--
Cool smoker, by the way!

BeefCakeScout
05-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Steve your sauce looks delicious...the hottest sauce you can buy is called Dave's anyone ever heard of that one...thats sauce is hotter:boese0500gp: then a runaway goat in pepper patch...i was at pot belly deli in Napa and i put just few drops on a chili dog and it took my breath i couldn't eat it and i can eat anything...uh Don?
Dave's insanity.....I have a bottle of the 2007 private reserve. I LITERALLY ad 1 drop to a POT of chili to make it quite warm. The PR is 3 times hotter than regular insanity though. I got it from a hot sauce museum in TX. They said it is made with capsaicin extract concentrate. FAR hotter than anything naturally grown. They make a new one with the same exract from ghost chile's. No thanks though.